Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lord, I was born a rambling man... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: September 30, 2006, 02:35:34 AM

Davin is slated for a comeback versus the Saints.

Between having a rook QB, and having a rook RG, is that officially gonna be the bullet that puts the Bucs out of their misery this year?

Or is it a saving grace?

And with all the hype on Terry, how come a crappy Mahan gets the nod over him?  Is he banged up, because I haven't heard anything about that?

LT Davis (now responsible for protecting a blind side, and was never an A1 pass blocker to begin with)
LG Buenning  Decent guard, IMO
C Wade  Outmuscled, outquicked, overmatched game in and game out
RG Joseph   ???  We all know he has never taken a snap when the real bullets fly...
RT Walker   :'(  Mediocrity at its finest

And to top it all off, the Bucs have NO run game.  A rookie QB drafted out of Toledo in the sixth round.

And Becht is a 270 pound chipper.

With all that said, seeing as how the Bucs can only go up from here, I think a groove will be made, and the season will be a loss...but as long as a rythmn gets established, and some confidence builds, I wouldn't call the season a total wash, I guess.  Irritating, but not a total wash.  The schedule is downright nasty, with some very cold weather games coming up.  If the Bucs can even keep it close when the snow and wind blows, I will be a happy camper.

And if Simms gets healthy rapidly, say week 11 or so, and the Bucs are out of the run (they are now in my book :-), would they bother even putting him back in the action?  What purpose would it serve, espescially with all the speculation that he is gone after this season?  Wouldn't just keeping in a struggling Grads (if he is struggling, which I assume he will) serve more purpose?

Just some rambling. 

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : September 30, 2006, 02:44:17 AM

I don't understand the neverending search for the perfect QB to fit Gruden's system--why not fit the system to your players' strengths? Chris could be so great if he'd bend some on the "system." I'd rather knock somebody on their ass with a 40 yd pass then 4 or 5 passes here & there.

creekchub00

Starter

#2 : September 30, 2006, 02:51:27 AM

Simms will not see action this season period, if he is ready late in the year, our record will either be so bad, we are out like you said and no point in risking it brining him back into the action, or good enough to keep us close, and then Grads has to get the nod..because it would mean he went somthing like 5-2 to even have us at .500 in week 11. You don't mess with success at the point.

Sadly I am not sure if I agree with your assesment of the Buccaneers only being able to go up. Davis is in charge of Grads blind side. I think this may be a very very long year for Bruce Gradkowski, especially having to face some of the above average front 7 we have to face. It is a scary time in Bucs football, but I have faith that Grads may get it done, by done I mean win 3 of the next 6 games, yeah we are still 3-6, but it would be momentum for a rookie QB, and a VERY YOUNG offense, minus Galloway, Alstott, and Becht.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 30, 2006, 07:17:57 AM

It's going to be a loooooooooooong season.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

calehawkins

Second String

#4 : September 30, 2006, 07:34:27 AM

Not neccessarily. We only got a quick snapshot at Gradkowski during the Baltimore game- he could be really good (not in the statistics column, but the wins column) like Kyle Orton. Orton took the Bears to a divisional game, yet he was drafted on day 2 of the Draft. Grads could do the same- he might not have a QB rating of 100, or throw more than 20 TDs, or run for more than 3, or pass for over 2500 yards, but he could win for us and that's all that matters. If our defense shapes up, we could be like the 2005 Bears.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 30, 2006, 08:30:23 AM

Right now I would guess the Bucs are going to be 0-5 in a couple of weeks and totally out of it. What we have in reality is a 17 game preseason in preparation for '07. After the Bengals game, when we know for certain there will be no playoffs, players who need game experience for the future, should be getting their reps. There are 13 guys left from the SB team. We know they can play, but we also know they won'y be here much longer. Sit Walker and let Trueblood take his lumps. Whoever figures to be a starter in '08, get 'em on the field starting in week 7. Let them gel now when the outcome only effects our position in the draft.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 30, 2006, 10:34:58 AM

I'm looking at it as the start of something big, the beginning.
It's going to take some time and experience for Grads to be able to make plays to win games. At first he'll simply be managing the team IMO.
We have a lot of good young players on offense who need to grow together, including Joseph and Trueblood on the OL. We get to see that now!
I'm more concerned with the ageing of the defense and am hoping we'll see some of the younger guys there rotated in more and more.
One game at a time and EVERY win will be sweet. Screw the playoffs this year, isn't going to happen. But we CAN be building to getting there as soon as NEXT year and I believe we will be!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

gharen

Pro Bowler

#7 : September 30, 2006, 10:57:06 AM

I agree John. It is the beginning of something hopefully great. We need to get all the younger guys experience this year. That way next year they will be experienced and young. I would Start White right away, play Ruud at least half the snaps, eventually work Zemeitas into the nickel back position, make Stovall the 3rd receiver, start Trueblood by midseason and see what they can do. Some will show they have a future and some might show that we need to replace them, but at least we'll know going into FA and the draft what we need.  One of the only problems I have ever had with Gruden was 2 years ago when we were out of any playoff picture that he didn't start Simms the rest of the year. Instead, he tried to win a few meaningless games with Griese. We might have been able to find out a lot more about Simms if he had. I have a feeling Grads will grow into the role this year and by the end of the season show signs that he could be special in this offense.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 30, 2006, 12:08:29 PM

I agree John. It is the beginning of something hopefully great. We need to get all the younger guys experience this year. That way next year they will be experienced and young. I would Start White right away, play Ruud at least half the snaps, eventually work Zemeitas into the nickel back position, make Stovall the 3rd receiver, start Trueblood by midseason and see what they can do. Some will show they have a future and some might show that we need to replace them, but at least we'll know going into FA and the draft what we need.  One of the only problems I have ever had with Gruden was 2 years ago when we were out of any playoff picture that he didn't start Simms the rest of the year. Instead, he tried to win a few meaningless games with Griese. We might have been able to find out a lot more about Simms if he had. I have a feeling Grads will grow into the role this year and by the end of the season show signs that he could be special in this offense.

I'm with you on the young guys getting time obviously. You know Trueblood will no longer be protecting the Qb's "blind side" on passing plays and that may help him start sooner than he may have. Thought I'd throw that in for Pat! LOL

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

#9 : October 01, 2006, 08:23:43 AM

A nasty ball-hawking safety is what I want ... seems to be our weakest position.  Thx Jermaine, there's the door.  Actually, I'd consider moving Phillips to LB.  Hmm

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 30, 2006, 01:56:56 PM

I'm with you on the young guys getting time obviously. You know Trueblood will no longer be protecting the Qb's "blind side" on passing plays and that may help him start sooner than he may have. Thought I'd throw that in for Pat! LOL

Good point about 'blood.

His state of approach might change a bit as a result.

But having an all rookie right side, protecting a rookie QB just doesn't sound too great.  I'd give 'blood one year on the bench, let him learn, next year, Kenyatta gets dumped.  And Wade probably ponders retirement, or should at least consider it.

#11 : September 30, 2006, 02:01:12 PM

Kyle Young will be avaiable in the draft as will Ryan Kili (sp?) I wouldn't mind snatching a C with our 4th/5th round pick.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : September 30, 2006, 02:17:36 PM

Kyle Young will be avaiable in the draft as will Ryan Kili (sp?) I wouldn't mind snatching a C with our 4th/5th round pick.

I wouldn't mind it either.

Nor would I mind if they drafted another tackle in rounds 2 or 3.

#13 : September 30, 2006, 02:25:19 PM

or round one if we really wanted a good one...Joe Thomas, though I'd prefer Gaines Adams in round one

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 30, 2006, 02:30:10 PM

or round one if we really wanted a good one...Joe Thomas

Man, I would be a happy man if that happens...the Bucs would really start to have a good foundation on the line.  I just hope Grads does well this year, because I am pretty sure Simms won't be back...which is a shame, because he has never really operated behind a great line before, and I would have liked to see what he could have done.  And he had no run support either.  Anyway, go Grads! 

If we are talking about Thomas though, it makes me really think the season is going to be a bad one...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lord, I was born a rambling man... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools