Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why we should stay at #4 « previous next »
Page: 1

hanks9872

Second String

: February 28, 2007, 01:38:49 AM

Hello all,

I have been reading for several months regarding this draft...been a PR subscriber for going on 6 years now.  I typically do not write many post as I like to read and get the excellent inside information that my fellow posters, SR and JF give us but, I have got to say, that we should wither take Thomas/CJ with the number 4.  Here is why....

The bucs aren't that bad.
We had a tough schedule last year and were a product of our injuries and schedule.
If we hadn't have lost Simms I feel we would've done much better as I feel he would've come around.
We had a 1st place schedule and apsolutely no pass rush! (which needs to be addressed via the 2nd round and FA.  But, to make my point, we as a team aren't that bad and you can bet with as much money as we have we aregoing to bring in some fresh DL/OL talent and perhaps a CB/FS or two either via the draft or FA.

We should stay at #4 becasue we will get a stud WR that changes the game like TO and Marvin Harrison (I like the 2nd guy better).  This guy, along with Galloway and Clayton will make the run work better and make the OL look far superior.  With the beef we added on the line last year with our 2 first picks, plus a good Center this year in the draft, the Pass will setup the run and caddy will be facing less men in the box because Galloway/CJ will be strething the field with Clayton picking up the Meyshawn possession duties.  Factor in Pittman pass catching out of the back field and we all of sudden are a very potent Offense. 

If Thomas is on the board (he wont be) we should definitely pull the trigger because i feel he is a guy that is fiery and competitve (showed by working out and didn't have to at the combine).  Also, if iknow anything about those guys up in Wisconsin, they are very strong minded people who can drink anything put in front of them.

All in all Stay at #4 and take CJ or JT.

Thanks for reading.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : February 28, 2007, 01:42:36 AM

No, dude, we were that bad.

hanks9872

Second String

#2 : February 28, 2007, 01:49:00 AM

No, we weren't....
This team played a hell of a schedule and there weren't too many games we werent in!  Barely lost to New Orleans 1st time, almost beat Chicago...the Falcons...and those are just the few i can remember!@

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#3 : February 28, 2007, 02:11:53 AM

The schedule is the schdule.  Do you think the Pats ever get by 'easy' schedule?

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 28, 2007, 07:00:43 AM

There's a difference between being overwhelmed with the schedule, which really isn't that of an excuse, and being bad. The Bucs were bad period. They coudn't hold on to the ball for more than 5 plays a series and coudn't keep the other team from driving down their throats. You argue that if Simms hadn't gotten hurt, he would have led the Bucs to a winning season, but he sucked the first few games and really didn't carry the team on his back the previous season(look at the stats, it was the running game that carried the Bucs).

As for the WR that could change the game like TO or Harrison, did they really change the game by themselves? I mean yea, there might be some matchup problems when they're on the field, but not a "change the tide of the game" thing. McNabb picked apart defenses perfectly fine without TO and Manning turns every other wideout into 1000yd catchers. Besides, I don't see Edwards or Larry Fitz ever giving their teams a winning season.

BucLord

Starter

#5 : February 28, 2007, 07:40:57 AM

We're bad because we are crusty old on defense and have a young offense that may or may not produce

Right now I dont see 1 player on offense that I wouldnt trade to help improve this team. Thats how long we have to go to see what this offense is all about, forget about defense for now, that side of the ball is about to get real ugly here in a year or so.

We dont have 1 playmaker on offense, not one.  We were full of guys like that on defense in Brooks, Sapp, Lynch etc.  To be honest, I dont see one player besider Caddy that would be a starter on any other team on this offense do you?

Cause I aint seeing it. We have nothing but aveage 2nd string players on offense

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

bait619

Starter

#6 : February 28, 2007, 12:27:45 PM

If we were that bad then there is nothing we can do in this offseason that can completely turn us around...free agency is weak and we don't have 8 first day draft picks so what I would like to see is pretty much just pick the BPA at certain positions (focusing on the trenches)...i think ken hamlin would be about the best free agent we could possibly get...we need a safety and we know he can play, I think he could be a pro bowler in the Tampa 2... i would also like to sign one of the free agent left tackles (McKinney or Pettitgout) because I think that Joe Thomas will be gone but even if he is still there after Detroit, I fear Arizona or any other team moving up to get him at the #3 spot because I believe quite frankly he is a steal there...if we have one of those tackles signed it might give the impression that we are set at LT and Arizona would not feel the need to jump up...our offensive line needs a left tackle and a center to be complete with young guys that can stick around and play together for a long time...if we can draft JT and Ryan Khalil with our 2a then our oldest starting offensive lineman would be Buenning and this will be his third year...that also gives us a very good backup guard and tackle (Anthony Davis) and we could possibly trade the free agent tackle (a left tackle is bound to get hurt somewhere next year...maybe even here) or have a great backup for a year...if this happens then we wouldn't have to even talk about  the offensive line at all next year and could really focus on the defense....even with all this we can still draft a 2nd and 3rd round defensive lineman/linebacker and if we are any good at it those two will become productive starters...we should pick up Jeff Garcia and if he plays he plays, if not that means Simms is productive...we should try to spend ALL of our cap money this year by restructuring contracts that are frontloaded to use it up so that over the next couple years we get even more cap room and as Rice leaves and Brooks retires we could then have pretty much whatever free agents we want ( I am not a cap or salary expert but that tactic just seems like it would work to me)

so with all this said I think it does improve our team now and long term, and gives us even more flexibility in the future

I would also like to add that since we are SOO bad ( I don't truly believe that) that we should try and deal Rice for a draft pick, take his cap money and apply it the way I suggested and hopefully pick up a second rounder that becomes a starter...I think we should get something for him while we can...obviously this doesn't really help us out this year but it might pay huge dividends next year and beyond

Shag

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 28, 2007, 12:32:59 PM

The Bucs were one of the worst teams in the league no matter what close games there were. The only way we compete next year is if Simms improves and the pass rush is back.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#8 : February 28, 2007, 01:11:26 PM

What if neither CJ or JT, or my personal pick Brady Quinn are on the board? A distinct possiblity. Do you trade down? Do you trade up?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 28, 2007, 01:15:01 PM

Hello all,

I have been reading for several months regarding this draft...been a PR subscriber for going on 6 years now. I typically do not write many post as I like to read and get the excellent inside information that my fellow posters, SR and JF give us but, I have got to say, that we should wither take Thomas/CJ with the number 4. Here is why....

The bucs aren't that bad.
We had a tough schedule last year and were a product of our injuries and schedule.
If we hadn't have lost Simms I feel we would've done much better as I feel he would've come around.
We had a 1st place schedule and apsolutely no pass rush! (which needs to be addressed via the 2nd round and FA. But, to make my point, we as a team aren't that bad and you can bet with as much money as we have we aregoing to bring in some fresh DL/OL talent and perhaps a CB/FS or two either via the draft or FA.

We should stay at #4 becasue we will get a stud WR that changes the game like TO and Marvin Harrison (I like the 2nd guy better). This guy, along with Galloway and Clayton will make the run work better and make the OL look far superior. With the beef we added on the line last year with our 2 first picks, plus a good Center this year in the draft, the Pass will setup the run and caddy will be facing less men in the box because Galloway/CJ will be strething the field with Clayton picking up the Meyshawn possession duties. Factor in Pittman pass catching out of the back field and we all of sudden are a very potent Offense.

If Thomas is on the board (he wont be) we should definitely pull the trigger because i feel he is a guy that is fiery and competitve (showed by working out and didn't have to at the combine). Also, if iknow anything about those guys up in Wisconsin, they are very strong minded people who can drink anything put in front of them.

Thanks for reading.

Good post and welcome.

I agree with that the 4-12 record is decieving just like the 11-5 record a year earlier.  The Bucs are really a team hovering around 8-8 and simply overachieved in 2005 and underachieved in 2006.

As for CJ and JT I tend to agree in that the Bucs should not consider trading down unless some team offers a crazy deal for CJ.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#10 : February 28, 2007, 01:59:40 PM

We are VERY bad, we have one good WR,  and need all kinds of help at O-line, our Defense is old all our star players are in their 30's. We have one good DB if Kelly doesn't come back. We have a big ? at QB. How much worse do we need to be to be considered a bad team?
In real terms we could go, QB, OT, WR, LB, DB, DL because we need help in all those area's.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 28, 2007, 02:06:45 PM

Why are Alex Smith, Paris Warren and Maurice Stovall written off when discussing the offense?

Also Barber is considered a good DB.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 28, 2007, 02:11:16 PM

We should stay at #4 becasue we will get a stud WR that changes the game like TO and Marvin Harrison (I like the 2nd guy better). This guy, along with Galloway and Clayton will make the run work better and make the OL look far superior. With the beef we added on the line last year with our 2 first picks, plus a good Center this year in the draft, the Pass will setup the run and caddy will be facing less men in the box because Galloway/CJ will be strething the field with Clayton picking up the Meyshawn possession duties. Factor in Pittman pass catching out of the back field and we all of sudden are a very potent Offense.

Nice post, well thought out and articulate. But you can't make your offensive line better by adding skill players, it doesn't work that way. Not to say that a good passing game won't help the running game, but that only comes into play if the OL is playing at a high level.

As stated by many, run blocking, even moreso than pass blocking, has to improve as well as the pass rush. That's the fastest way, however achieved, that we will get back to respectability...

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why we should stay at #4 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools