Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alstott a Falcon? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15

T

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 28, 2007, 01:36:39 PM

Give me Griffith over the A-Train anyday. In Gruden's Offense Alstott is a BLOCKING FB and the Alstott goobers will never understand that.

wc24

Second String

#16 : February 28, 2007, 01:41:19 PM

The one thing that the Bucs need the FB to do besides block is catch the ball. Alstott has some problems there this past season. So if the Bucs think that Griffith can do a better job of catching the ball out of the backfield than Alstott and the price isn't outlandish then Griffith will be the choice. It's possible we may know the answer to this by the weekend. If Griffith goes elsewhere I expect Mike back and probably pretty quickly. Obviously if the Bucs sign Griffith there is no need for Mike.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 28, 2007, 01:42:14 PM

FBs do NOTHING for the offense, aside from run block.

That's why the Bucs need one who CAN.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 28, 2007, 01:46:31 PM

Uncle Stan and I were sort of going back and forth on this.  While in my logical mind I know it's time for a change, my heart won't accept seeing Mike in anything other than Pewter and Red.  God forbid someone we have to play, even worst a division rival.  I know I'm in it to emotionally, glad I'm not BA...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#19 : February 28, 2007, 01:48:38 PM

I hope he doesn't come to our division he will kill our D-line, we dont do well against big backs and he will be seeing Grudens face as he plows over Phillips or Allen

#20 : February 28, 2007, 02:07:13 PM

Uncle Stan and I were sort of going back and forth on this.  While in my logical mind I know it's time for a change, my heart won't accept seeing Mike in anything other than Pewter and Red.  God forbid someone we have to play, even worst a division rival.  I know I'm in it to emotionally, glad I'm not BA...

Glad to hear that Chev.

I, too, have an emotional attachment to the A-train.... i think any long time Buc fan does.... but  IMO, its time to cut the cord.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 28, 2007, 03:00:33 PM

I know, it's just tough. You gotta love a guy who plays the game the way it should be played and always gave you 100%...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 28, 2007, 03:04:26 PM

That's why the Bucs need one who CAN.

I did not say Alstott could do nothing for this offense.  The man has the most TDs for the Bucs the last two years, in the ground game.  I think maybe even the team.

It is just a natural assumption that Gruden does not utilize FBs in this offense.  Wether they can or not is moot.  A FB in Grudens scheme doesn't do much, no matter if it is Alstott, or anyone else for that matter.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 28, 2007, 03:07:26 PM

Exactly.  Well put.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#24 : February 28, 2007, 04:03:06 PM

Why would Atlanta downgrade from Griffith with Alstott. If they sign him as an RB, he's gonna be behind Dunn and their really fast RB that they drafted last year. If they put him in at FB, he's gonna touch the ball even less because that offense hardly uses the FB as a weapon.

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 28, 2007, 04:05:57 PM

Griffith is a FB.  FBs do jack for this offense.  WE can keep Alstott for cheaper, and his run blocking isn't abysmal.  You guys act like he is a giant cap hit, a liability in the run game with crap blocking (which he isn't), isn't a factor in short yardage, and gets the ball 10 times a game...

Alstott is NOT a problem in this offense.  If anything, he gets the TDs for the Buc that no one else seems to be able to...

If he asks for cheap dollars, then resign him.  Use that money to sign Clements, or Hamlin.  Screw Griffith.  If he asks for big money, which he won't, then let him sail off into the sunset.

Yeah, just Run-Blocking.  That's really not important....

Jeez Boid, I expect better from you.  "Just" run-blocking?  If it's so unimportant, why have a FB at all?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 28, 2007, 04:44:29 PM

I did not say Alstott could do nothing for this offense.  The man has the most TDs for the Bucs the last two years, in the ground game.  I think maybe even the team.

No, that would be Galloway with 17 TD's. On the field, Alstott can't do a lot for this offense. He's not a good enough blocker to even fill that role consistently and effectively.

It is just a natural assumption that Gruden does not utilize FBs in this offense.

No, it isn't.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 28, 2007, 04:44:37 PM

Griffith is a FB. FBs do jack for this offense. WE can keep Alstott for cheaper, and his run blocking isn't abysmal. You guys act like he is a giant cap hit, a liability in the run game with crap blocking (which he isn't), isn't a factor in short yardage, and gets the ball 10 times a game...

Alstott is NOT a problem in this offense. If anything, he gets the TDs for the Buc that no one else seems to be able to...

If he asks for cheap dollars, then resign him. Use that money to sign Clements, or Hamlin. Screw Griffith. If he asks for big money, which he won't, then let him sail off into the sunset.

Yeah, just Run-Blocking. That's really not important....

Jeez Boid, I expect better from you. "Just" run-blocking? If it's so unimportant, why have a FB at all?
Just saying all a FB does in Grudens offense is run block.  And Alstott is not a bad run blocker.  I think the running game was more down because of the QBs used, the shoddy O-line, and the eight in a box schemes the Bucs faced practically every down.  Why get so down on Alstott when he has led the Bucs in TDs, run blocks decently enough, and won't be asking for the ball much (because I think he udnerstands there is a natural decline in skills), or he wouldbe asking for mega jack.  If he got 1.5 last year, he'll ask for about 1 this year.  And that isn't exactly putting the team in debt, considering he is a team leader, they have a decent amount of cap room, and will most definitely retire after this season.  Let him go out as a Buc.  

Just sign Alstott to one more deal.  I would love to see him retire a Buc.  He does not hurt the offense in the way most are making it seem.  The lack of run blocking hurts the team more.  Clayton hurts the team more.  The poor QB play hurts the team more.  On back to back plays versus the Redskins he just powered his way down the field, even stepping ON Springs and geeking the team up.    If anything, dump Kenyattas worthless ass to the curb...talk about a waste of money and a lack of skills...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 28, 2007, 04:45:48 PM

I did not say Alstott could do nothing for this offense. The man has the most TDs for the Bucs the last two years, in the ground game. I think maybe even the team.

No, that would be Galloway with 17 TD's. On the field, Alstott can't do a lot for this offense. He's not a good enough blocker to even fill that role consistently and effectively.

It is just a natural assumption that Gruden does not utilize FBs in this offense.

No, it isn't.

Okay, I know he led the team in run touchdowns, as I said.  And I discalimed the second half.

As far as FBs in Grudens offense, yeah it is.

gone

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 28, 2007, 04:47:52 PM

Glad to hear that Chev.

I, too, have an emotional attachment to the A-train.... i think any long time Buc fan does.... but  IMO, its time to cut the cord.

Alstott's NEVER gonna be a Falcon.  And highly unlikely anywhere else.  I'm pretty sure he has to be aware that his stock and his popularity rest as much on myth as reality.  Mike was a great player here for years, but his impressiveness is outweighed by the exaggerated image fans have of him.  He was great, but never as great as so many fans 'remember'.  Changiing teams would kill his popularity and ruin his stock.  He could continue to make millions each year doing advertising, appearances, etc in Tampa for at least another 5 years.;  Put on a falcon Jersey, t's all gone...
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alstott a Falcon? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools