Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alstott a Falcon? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 28, 2007, 04:54:21 PM

As far as FBs in Grudens offense, yeah it is.

Perhaps to the uneducated. If Gruden didn't use a FB in his offense, there wouldn't be one on the roster. "Using a FB" doesn't mean a guy who carries or catches the ball a lot as some may assume. An effective FB in Gruden's offense may notch no more than 40 carries and 15 catches a year. That doesn't mean they're not being used or not being effective.

An ideal FB in the Gruden offense is foremost a blocker who can blow open holes for the guys who are really supposed to be toting the rock.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#31 : February 28, 2007, 05:02:57 PM

Perhaps to the uneducated. If Gruden didn't use a FB in his offense, there wouldn't be one on the roster. "Using a FB" doesn't mean a guy who carries or catches the ball a lot as some may assume. An effective FB in Gruden's offense may notch no more than 40 carries and 15 catches a year. That doesn't mean they're not being used or not being effective.

An ideal FB in the Gruden offense is foremost a blocker who can blow open holes for the guys who are really supposed to be toting the rock.

And Alstott isn't anything more than average at that, and Griffith would be a major upgrade there.  I'm not for Keeping Alstott just to do it.  Yeah, we would all like him back blah blah blah but not at the expense of the TEAM.  If you can upgrade the position you do it.  You don't say hey, let's keep a worse guy on just because he is __________.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 28, 2007, 05:06:25 PM

And Alstott isn't anything more than average at that, and Griffith would be a major upgrade there.

Absolutely. In fact, in watching the tapes from last season, I'd have to say that Mike (who was once "average at that") is now even less than average.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 28, 2007, 05:30:02 PM

Did anyone see Justin Griffith shake the shorts off Jermaine Phillips for the touchdown this year in Tampa? I laughed so hard because Griffith was moving so slow and he still shook him. He can block well to, the A-trian is older and not as good as a run blocker. Right now give me Griffith over A-train since A-train wants to be overrpaid.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 28, 2007, 06:08:50 PM

nobody is going to give mike alstott 10-15 touches a game.

Shhh!  You'll wake up the goobers!

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 28, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Goobers are kind of like bats.  They are kind of quiet,  but you can hear them scratching around behind the walls and going "eek eek".   But then if Alstott goes to another team  thousands of them will come flying out of the cracks whoooooooosh. Weeekekekekekekek.  Look out!

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#36 : February 28, 2007, 06:21:12 PM

In this offense that Gruden "runs", it won't matter if we have Griffith or Alstott, hell we could have Tom Rathman back there or even Lorenzo Neal. The offense is far too cute and is rather ineffective. I would be upset to see Alstott playing for Atlanta, just like I didn't like seeing Nickerson playing for GayBay or Jacksonville. But I got over it. Either fullback is the least, and I mean LEAST of this teams worries.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 28, 2007, 06:57:00 PM

And I have said this already.  FB is not used that much in the offense.  What is uneducated, dumping a team leader, who will make very little cheese, is an adequate run blocker, and will bow out with the team and the organization that loves him, or dumping him for a guy that really isn't upgrading the offense.  Griffith isn't a pro bowler is he?  No he is not.  He isn't so high on everyones radar as a tremendous run blocker, otherwise he might make Lo Neal cash.  If all the FB needs to do is run the ball 3 times a game, and run block, Sowell train can do the same, and so should have Rick Razzano...Alstott can score from in close, in many ways.  He isn't crappy, he is far from it.  He is a good baller, who has left the glory days behind him no doubt.  But he is more than serviceable, espescially considering the position he plays, and the job he does doing it.  WE aren't replacing a Volkswagon to get a Mercedes here gents....more like changing from a Chevy to a Ford, or vice versa.

The Bucs need to use monies on other things.  Like safeties, and lineman.  The FB position is fine as is.  It is not crumbling, and adding a rookie into the lineup, with Mike mentoring him does more good than anything.

My hunch is he retires a Buc, and a team leader much to the "utter chagrin" of many of you.  Having a leader in that young huddle is very crucial, IMO.  I have utmost confidence in this.

#38 : February 28, 2007, 06:59:22 PM

And Alstott isn't anything more than average at that, and Griffith would be a major upgrade there.

Absolutely. In fact, in watching the tapes from last season, I'd have to say that Mike (who was once "average at that") is now even less than average.

Now that I agree with. At his best, he was an average blocker. Now he's way past that and the Alstott huggers refuse to see that.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 28, 2007, 07:10:01 PM

Now that I agree with. At his best, he was an average blocker. Now he's way past that and the Alstott huggers refuse to see that.

Yes, Alstott went from "average" (and that's being generous) as a blocker to something much less than that and in reviewing the film he was sometimes just plain embarrassing. He whiffed pretty badly at times, and it was painful to watch. Pittman was a considerably better blocker, and caught and ran the ball better as well.

The FB is important in the Gruden offense, but not as a ball carrier or pass catcher, except periodically. Get a sledgehammer blocker in this offense at FB and the run game improves dramatically. Mike can retire or go to another team, it really doesn't matter to me. He really shouldn't have played last season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 28, 2007, 07:17:01 PM

Yes, Alstott went from "average" (and that's being generous) as a blocker to something much less than that and in reviewing the film he was sometimes just plain embarrassing. He whiffed pretty badly at times, and it was painful to watch. Pittman was a considerably better blocker, and caught and ran the ball better as well.

The FB is important in the Gruden offense, but not as a ball carrier or pass catcher, except periodically. Get a sledgehammer blocker in this offense at FB and the run game improves dramatically. Mike can retire or go to another team, it really doesn't matter to me. He really shouldn't have played last season.
All teams want a "sledgehammer" blocker, but few teams have one.  My whole gripe is why not Razzano then?  The man was a monster no?  Sowell was a blocking machine for years with the Jets.  Point is this, he is not that bad out there.  I watched every game this year, and it really isn't as bad as the O-line leaking, the TEs not getting their chips in (notable Becht), and Caddy dancing and not hitting a hole decisively.  Throw in the stacked box yadda yadda, and it all adds up to a man trying to plug a dyke with his finger...so to speak.

If you say he sucked, I guess that is your opinion.  I say I was too busy watching everything else fail, and I seldom blamed Mike for the problems, because that is just pointing fingers in the wrong direction. 

You have your "educated" take, and I have my "uneducated" one I guess ::)

Edit:  And as for Pittman being a better blocker, I would think since his arms don't help him out in actually carrying the ball, perhaps they can be used for something other than weight room glory...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 28, 2007, 07:22:32 PM

Point is this, he is not that bad out there.

Incorrect.

I watched every game this year, and it really isn't as bad as the O-line leaking, the TEs not getting their chips in (notable Becht), and Caddy dancing and not hitting a hole decisively.  Throw in the stacked box yadda yadda, and it all adds up to a man trying to plug a dyke with his finger...so to speak.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Since there are other problems we shouldn't bother trying to upgrade a position that could clearly help improve the offense. I guess "he's not that bad" is good enough for you.

You have your "educated" take, and I have my "uneducated" one I guess

Agreed.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#42 : February 28, 2007, 07:31:44 PM

Gruden tried to feature Alstott last year and look what happened.    No speed,  dropsy,  missed blocks.   Sorry but Mike should take the vet minimum and announce that this is it.   The "Bus" did it right in Pitts.     While we're at it,  isn't it time Moore finds a rocking chair too?  Time for a younger snapper who isn't worried about getting blown up on every kick.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 28, 2007, 07:33:57 PM

Gruden tried to feature Alstott last year and look what happened.    No speed,  dropsy,  missed blocks.   Sorry but Mike should take the vet minimum and announce that this is it.   The "Bus" did it right in Pitts.     While we're at it,  isn't it time Moore finds a rocking chair too?  Time for a younger snapper who isn't worried about getting blown up on every kick.

He "featured" Alstott huh?

Funny that one is.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 28, 2007, 07:34:55 PM

Point is this, he is not that bad out there.

Incorrect.

Correct.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alstott a Falcon? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools