Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What if the Coach NEVER wants to quit... « previous next »
Page: 1

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

: December 04, 2009, 05:33:29 PM

You know, I hear all the accolades about Bobby Bowden etc.  Heard a great story about Nick Saban being hired by Bowden to return to W. Virginia during Saban family crisis.  And many many wonderful stories about his raising of young men etc.  And his old good win/loss record.

But really, when someone does not know when its time to leave the public stage, I say he gets what he deserves afterwards for putting everyone involved in the awkward position of coacing him to move along the way.

No one.  I repeat, no one DESERVES TO LEAVE WHENEVER HE WANTS.  If he was great for 34 years okay.  I get that.   But he obviously wasn't winning and more than that, it was just time to go.  He wasn't gracious, courageous or reasonable about it....he wanted more.

Don't we all.

Its a sad fact of life for everyone famous or not, that there is a time you might say a season to be poetic , Bobby Bowden refused  to recognize and/or honor the call that had been made several years earlier...they gave him those years and then some...

I'm not sorry for Bobby Bowden, and I don't think he was treated poorly.  They gave him a million dollars to go...
And allowed him face saving that it was his decision...

Wish I had been treated that badly when my company was hinting that they didn't want me around any more.  They stole by business and whitheld three months of income....A million and a pat on the back would have been really really nice.....just sayin'

Gotta be a Gator fan ....  ;)

Ranman hit it on the head. BB has some culpability here but the majority rests with the circus that was the coach-in-waiting fiasco ...

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 04, 2009, 03:07:16 PM

You know, I hear all the accolades about Bobby Bowden etc.  Heard a great story about Nick Saban being hired by Bowden to return to W. Virginia during Saban family crisis.  And many many wonderful stories about his raising of young men etc.  And his old good win/loss record.

But really, when someone does not know when its time to leave the public stage, I say he gets what he deserves afterwards for putting everyone involved in the awkward position of coacing him to move along the way.

No one.  I repeat, no one DESERVES TO LEAVE WHENEVER HE WANTS.  If he was great for 34 years okay.  I get that.   But he obviously wasn't winning and more than that, it was just time to go.  He wasn't gracious, courageous or reasonable about it....he wanted more.

Don't we all.

Its a sad fact of life for everyone famous or not, that there is a time you might say a season to be poetic , Bobby Bowden refused  to recognize and/or honor the call that had been made several years earlier...they gave him those years and then some...

I'm not sorry for Bobby Bowden, and I don't think he was treated poorly.  They gave him a million dollars to go...
And allowed him face saving that it was his decision...

Wish I had been treated that badly when my company was hinting that they didn't want me around any more.  They stole by business and whitheld three months of income....A million and a pat on the back would have been really really nice.....just sayin'

#2 : December 04, 2009, 03:53:12 PM

One Word Ladyfan - EGO

Bobby thought he was the man to turn it around again.  His ego would not let him step aside.  He has even said he is going to move out of Tallahassee...he says it is so the local press doesn't sit around and ask him "what would you do?" but I think he is slightly bitter and needs to get away from the program until he mellows a little. That is the human part I can sympathise with.

ranman

Pro Bowler

#3 : December 04, 2009, 04:00:12 PM

I'll respectfully disagree.  I am of the opinion this was brought on by School administrators who thought they had the next golden child with Jimbo Fisher and created a massive payoff clause in his contract if he didn't become HC by 2011.  

The Admin with PSU were facing similar criticism but the AD there did not crater.  Hence the reason folks point towards BB and not towards Joe Pa.  This was mishandled by a school administration who has continually proven to be inept.  

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 04, 2009, 09:10:27 PM

I went to Bucknell Univ in Lewisburg, Pa. 

I respect your opinon.  But disagree back.  As I said, his time was over and he didn't like it or get it....

And the sports press is just too maudlin about his parting....man,  FOOTBALLs a GAME.  I'm sorry, but he aged in such a way
he could not keep up with what was wanted and needed.  I enjoyed the 'Noles play for many years but the last four.....meh.

Yeah.  At first I liked the coach in waiting idea...but now I see how impossible that is for both the coach and the guy holding his breath off stage waiting....not a good idea...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 04, 2009, 10:50:44 PM

Yeah. At first I liked the coach in waiting idea...but now I see how impossible that is for both the coach and the guy holding his breath off stage waiting....not a good idea...

that's on the admin not BB
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What if the Coach NEVER wants to quit... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools