Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cleveland's 1st pick « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mauger345

Practice Squad

#30 : December 06, 2009, 09:33:41 PM

The Browns run a 3-4 defense. (This is a Mangini principle, he uses it everywhere he has coached.)
Suh is not big enough to be a NT in the 3-4, these guys are the real space eaters like Ted Washington, Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, etc.
3-4 DE's, which is where Suh would have to play, are often bigger workman guys who take on blockers so the outside linebackers can roam and make plays. This position does not often get high value placed on it by the executives, so to spend a top 3 pick on one would seem to be counter productive

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 06, 2009, 09:38:40 PM

Disagree with that. Scott Pioli who helped build the Patriots dynasty took Richard Seymour #6 overall. The same guy who took Tyson Jackson #4 overall this year. It isn't that absurd to consider a 3-4 DE top 5 b/c these guys do indeed make impacts.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#32 : December 06, 2009, 09:38:49 PM

I could see the Browns firing Mangini if they end up with only 1 win. They have Rogers who is a DT (pretty good one too) and could get Suh to play with him giving them a great reason to look for a DC who is into the 4-3. I think you are right though only if they stay with Mangini. Which is not a guarantee.

mauger345

Practice Squad

#33 : December 06, 2009, 09:49:39 PM

Detrimental-
The Browns defense isn't nearly as complex or versatile as the Pats defense of that time. The Pats rotated 4-3 and 3-4 very frequently and they had the personnel to do it (veteran LBs who know what they are doing).
The Browns run a strict 3-4. While Pioli did take Tyson Jackson last year that was because there was no great rush LB or NT available and Pioli wanted to take someone who he could structure a 3-4 defense around, since the Chiefs played a 4-3 before.
Cleveland had already been running a 3-4 and had the personnel to do it. I disagree with your comparison that the situations ar the same

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 06, 2009, 09:54:01 PM

Unfortunately I don't think we can really say what Cleveland will do right now. They're a mystery because their offense is so awful. Here's a few reasons why they're so tough to predict:

1. Brady Quinn has shown potential at times, so it's certainly possible that having nothing around him to work with is the real problem. On the other hand, he's been part of many trade rumors over the past couple years, so it appears the Browns might have been looking to trade him.

2. If Mangini is back next year, what does he think of Quinn? I'm not sure we have a definitive answer here.

3. If Mangini isn't back next year, their chances of taking a QB or Suh could vary widely depending on who becomes their coach.

4. Can a team with so many gaping holes on the offense and secondary really justify taking a DT when they don't have a huge hole there? I know he's BPA, but generally teams aren't quite as awful in some areas as the Browns are, and there aren't many solid FAs this year for them to pick up either.

At this point, we're best to hope they win a game or two down the stretch. If they end up in front of us, we'll have to wait until we know their coaching situation before we can really hope to guess where they'll go in the draft.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cleveland's 1st pick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools