Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does this mean no griffith? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
« #15 : March 04, 2007, 12:18:27 AM »

Griffith is a no go in Tampa fo sho.

The BUcs won't draft Mclain either...

Sowell, Alstott, and BJ Askew. I can deal with that. Even if Sowell is a bag of nothing, and Alstott is on his last legs...

Isn't Jerald Sowell a free agent?

« #16 : March 04, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »

Griffith is a no go in Tampa fo sho.

The BUcs won't draft Mclain either...

Sowell, Alstott, and BJ Askew. I can deal with that. Even if Sowell is a bag of nothing, and Alstott is on his last legs...
I'm happy with Askew, I wasn't aware he was a FA but he's perfect for what I wanted.
He's a "blocking FB", that is for sure.  I don;t think he is veryhappy with that role, but he better get used to it.
He can run, catch, and block....perfect in my mind.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #17 : March 04, 2007, 12:22:47 AM »

Here’s what the Buccaneers have added in the versatile Sowell:

A pass-catcher. Sowell has 147 career receptions, including 120 over the last three seasons to lead all NFL fullbacks in that span.

A special teams ace. Sowell is the Jets’ all-time leader in kick-coverage tackles with 146, including 103 solo stops. He once had seven special teams tackles in a single game at New England in 2000.

An extremely durable performer. Sowell has not missed a single game, including the preseason and postseason, in the last eight years, and he started 46 contests over the last three seasons.
But the most important thing Sowell brings to Tampa Bay is outstanding lead-blocking abilities. A true basher of a fullback, the 6-0, 237-pound Sowell has carried the ball just four times over the last three seasons but has nonetheless been an integral part of the Jets’ rushing attack. His finest season may have been 2004 when, in addition to catching 47 passes, he helped pave the way for Curtis Martin to win the NFL rushing title with 1,697 yards.

These guys literally fall from the sky...practically all FBs are described, it seems, as such...I don't expect to hear much of Askew, and neither should you really...

Just saying.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #18 : March 04, 2007, 12:24:34 AM »

The article says Askew is a good blocker but not much of a runner or pass catcher but coming out of Michigan he was known for those skills.  Maybe the Jets just don't utilize their FBs to do those things.  We shall see.  

« #19 : March 04, 2007, 12:25:34 AM »

My expectation is that Askew starts at fullback if Jon Gruden has his head out of his ass.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #20 : March 04, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

The article says Sowell is not expected to be resigned.  What are you talking about?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #21 : March 04, 2007, 12:46:29 AM »

The article says Askew is a good blocker but not much of a runner or pass catcher but coming out of Michigan he was known for those skills.  Maybe the Jets just don't utilize their FBs to do those things.  We shall see. 

The Bucs don't do much with the true FB types anyway...maybe Askew does bring something new to the table.  Askew wants to be a guy who touches the ball.  Problem is, the Jets were starved for anyone to make a play in the backfield last year, and BJ still wasn't called on to make things happen, despite his claims to being a jet in cleats, and having hands covered in glue...

He will just be another ST guy, another guy to put in on fourth and goal...

« #22 : March 04, 2007, 12:47:12 AM »

Again, my hope is he's our starting FB.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does this mean no griffith? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools