Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leonard Davis off the Market « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 04, 2007, 01:15:53 PM

He will be over paid for 2 reasons... Clements is getting paid much much much more than Hutchinson. And he isn't near as good at his respected position.
You want to be good, you pay for good players. Overpaying for bad players is where you get into cap hell. Maybe you just can't grasp that.

You can give Clements a nice contract but 8 years 80 million is excessive. Not only is it over paying...bull**CENSORED** like this is going to kill the front office side of the game. It could turn into the MLB!
That's an exceptionally clueless statement. You do know that it is impossible for the NFL to turn into the MLB. Have you heard of this new thing called a salary cap?

Haha... You think at this rate there will be any salary cap in 5or so years. Do you not even remember how close we were last year to losing the salary cap?
Close? LMAO. The owners would rather close the doors than give away the one thing that has made the NFL the most successful league in the world.

I agree with you that the salary cap is part of the reason the NFL has been so successful. I'm sorry its so hard to believe that you think how much the 49ers are paying Clements is justified!

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 04, 2007, 01:24:16 PM

You want to be good, you pay for good players. Overpaying for bad players is where you get into cap hell. Maybe you just can't grasp that.

Like the redskins?

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 04, 2007, 01:26:58 PM

Like the redskins?

zing... or how about the 04 bucs... and what about every other team that spends big in free agency

01-pats-no
02-bucs-no
03-pats-no
04 pats-no
05 steelers-no
06 colts-no

NONE OF THESE TEAMS WENT BIG IN FREE AGENCY!

#33 : March 04, 2007, 01:28:20 PM

Bucs didn't go quality big as in cash, but quanity wise they brought in a load of talent for less than 'Skin' like payments.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 04, 2007, 01:28:25 PM

Like the redskins?

In fairness the Deadskins paid for bad players and everyone knew it at the time.

Problem is the market is a lot of bad players and darn few good ones. NE got the only top end guy with Thomas and the rest of the market is definately very so-so and there's no reason to pay those guys. You wait until the feeding frenzy ends, and then get them at much lower rates.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

sma2680

Practice Squad

#35 : March 04, 2007, 01:34:30 PM

He will be over paid for 2 reasons... Clements is getting paid much much much more than Hutchinson. And he isn't near as good at his respected position.

You can give Clements a nice contract but 8 years 80 million is excessive. Not only is it over paying...bull**CENSORED** like this is going to kill the front office side of the game. It could turn into the MLB!
That's an exceptionally clueless statement. You do know that it is impossible for the NFL to turn into the MLB. Have you heard of this new thing called a salary cap?

Haha... You think at this rate there will be any salary cap in 5or so years. Do you not even remember how close we were last year to losing the salary cap?
Close? LMAO. The owners would rather close the doors than give away the one thing that has made the NFL the most successful league in the world.

We'll see what happens after this year when the current CBA is opted out of and owners and the players' union will have to sit down and hammer out another agreement.  Tags was able to push a deal through at the 11th hour last year, which won't be the case next time around.  Anyways, a salary cap is only useful if all teams are willing to spend up to it (or at least close).  The reason everyone has so much cap room this year is because the new CBA increased the cap number significantly.  After the players get a taste of these salaries, I doubt they will be up for smaller annual increases in the cap number.  So I doubt the salary cap will get disposed of, but just the fact that it is there is not the end all be all. 

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 04, 2007, 01:37:20 PM

We'll see what happens after this year when the current CBA is opted out of and owners and the players' union will have to sit down and hammer out another agreement.  Tags was able to push a deal through at the 11th hour last year, which won't be the case next time around.  Anyways, a salary cap is only useful if all teams are willing to spend up to it (or at least close).  The reason everyone has so much cap room this year is because the new CBA increased the cap number significantly.  After the players get a taste of these salaries, I doubt they will be up for smaller annual increases in the cap number.  So I doubt the salary cap will get disposed of, but just the fact that it is there is not the end all be all. 

Good post.

mennoman

Second String
#37 : March 04, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

I wish my employer would overpay me for the next 2-3 years, based on the increase in salaries that will likely occur over that period of time.  Because in 3 years they'd still have a good employee and I would no longer be overpaid any more then.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 04, 2007, 02:09:00 PM

I am glad all the other teams are acting like idiots and signing these guys to huge Bucs.  This might be the new rate for players but I don't believe the guy is worth that kind of money.  There is a reason why Arizona who had a bad line didn't try to sign him to an extension.  I would have liked to get the guy in here but you don't win SB's by overpaying 2-3 guys.  You win the SB by signing 53 good players not having 5-10 great ones.

sma2680

Practice Squad

#39 : March 04, 2007, 02:12:28 PM

what it will do is put a premium on draft picks.  The more you can get cheap(relatively) reliable talent in the draft, the less you will have to pay for mediocre FA talent.  It would be best to build through the draft and save cap space for only prime FAs.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leonard Davis off the Market « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools