Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to do if we can't have Suh? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Thomas

Starter

: April 04, 2010, 02:02:19 PM

if the Bucs trade down it would contradict the owners statement of a commitment to rebuilding the team through the draft. Unless they "put a positive spin on it" to claim they are stockpiling picks in a deep draft class...although I wouldn't buy it.
The mere fact that there have already been rumors that the 3 worst teams (picking 1 2 3) have searched for trade partners to trade down with alerts me to the fact the owners most likely are cash strapped and prolly cannot produce enough cash flow to alleviate their current predicament.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 04, 2010, 08:38:18 AM

I don't expect House of Spears to be available when the Bucs pick so I've fast-forwarded to stage 5 of the grief process...I'm now at Acceptance  ;D.

Having accepted that Suh won't be available and not buying into the McCoy hype, I'm interested in alternative strategies:

1. find trade partner who sees great value in trading up to 3 (possibly targeting QB). While it sounds sexy, these trades don't happen often. Most GMs are in their positions because they do P.Manning checkdowns rather than Brett 'pants on the ground' Favre bombs. I just don't see the huge value trading up in a deep draft...but maybe that's just me.

2. taking shot at best player available

IMHO...I think CJ Spiller is the total package you want in a runner and would be a great weapon to assist Freeman's development. I'm so crazy that I'd go so far as using one of the 2's on a receiver as well (preferably Thomas if still on the board however doubtful that is).

The other picks can be used on defense but for my money this immediately injects excitement and gives the Bucs a threat each time they have the ball.

Enjoy some Spiller highlights especially the sequence at the 2:37 mark:

Feel free to counter-punch....

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 04, 2010, 08:42:06 AM

We should 'An Hero'.

Thomas

Starter

#3 : April 04, 2010, 08:43:31 AM

Okung. Just watched "Blind Side" and we could always use a premier LT.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 04, 2010, 08:46:02 AM

Okung. Just watched "Blind Side" and we could always use a premier LT.

I'm not against that move either but what about the current LT?

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 04, 2010, 08:53:23 AM

I like him but Penn isn't a 10 year answer at LT. Trade him if we take Okung.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

Thomas

Starter

#6 : April 04, 2010, 09:07:57 AM

either Suh, and if he's gone take Okung.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#7 : April 04, 2010, 09:15:56 AM

The theory to taking Okung would be to let him take the RT spot this season with Penn still at LT. If Penn shapes up and plays well you offer him a contract and then you can decide to leave him at LT or move him to RT if you think Okung is better. If Penn still has some question marks at the end of the season you can let him go and move Okung to LT after getting a year of experience under his belt. I think Penn at RT for 4-5 years would make more sense in the long run and allow us to draft another RT further down the line.

If we can't trade down to gather more picks one scenario to investigate is the swapping of 1st rounders with Denver with Marshall thrown in. If the players we want aren't there at 3 this would be a sensible option to go for, we still retain a 1st round pick, but lower, but also get ourselves a proven WR. In this situation getting Marshall and perhaps someone like Spiller would give Freeman weapons to use.

GoBucs!

Second String

#8 : April 04, 2010, 09:22:50 AM

Deal with it.....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 04, 2010, 09:24:25 AM

What to do if we can't have Suh?

We draft Tyson Alualu in the 2nd and C.J. Wilson in the 3rd and don't ever think about Suh again.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 04, 2010, 09:26:59 AM

@Nicodemus: If Penn is unhappy with his contract status now (which has been reported), how will he respond to Tampa using the 3rd pick ($$$) on his successor at LT?

That is the big question in my mind otherwise it doesn't seem like a bad idea...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 04, 2010, 09:44:35 AM

If we traded back and took Brandon Graham in the first, Alualu at 2a, and CJ Wilson with our third, we'd still have 2b, 3rd, and whatever we got for trading back to get a reciever and whatever else we want.

Brandon Graham is a great speed rushing defensive end but is solid against the run and can start immediatly. Next to him we'd have Roy Miller at nose tackle. Then there is Tyson Alualu and CJ Wilson. Both guys have nonstop motors and can plat left defensive end or under tackle. King Tyce would probably end being the under tackle and Wilson the left defensive end, but they would be interchangable.

White, Moore, Crowder, and Sims would be our depth and our d-line would go from our biggest weakness to our biggest attribute in one year.

I love Suh to death, and will enjoy watching him in the NFL no matter what team he goes to, but honestly I think this is a better scenerio for the Bucs. Besides, two knee surgeries and being 25 already scares me. Odds are Suh has a short 6-7 year NFL career.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 04, 2010, 09:56:11 AM

If we traded back and took Brandon Graham in the first, Alualu at 2a, and CJ Wilson with our third, we'd still have 2b, 3rd, and whatever we got for trading back to get a reciever and whatever else we want.

Brandon Graham is a great speed rushing defensive end but is solid against the run and can start immediatly. Next to him we'd have Roy Miller at nose tackle. Then there is Tyson Alualu and CJ Wilson. Both guys have nonstop motors and can plat left defensive end or under tackle. King Tyce would probably end being the under tackle and Wilson the left defensive end, but they would be interchangable.

White, Moore, Crowder, and Sims would be our depth and our d-line would go from our biggest weakness to our biggest attribute in one year.

I love Suh to death, and will enjoy watching him in the NFL no matter what team he goes to, but honestly I think this is a better scenerio for the Bucs. Besides, two knee surgeries and being 25 already scares me. Odds are Suh has a short 6-7 year NFL career.

Very solid argument...Tampa has so many needs that we can basically pick any area outside of QB that can be focused on in this draft. I wouldn't be against your scenario but I wanna see some offensive firepower for a change.

I do disagree on the points regarding Suh but time will answer those questions...I don't see him as another Glenn Dorsey with respect to injuries impacting productivity.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 04, 2010, 10:11:08 AM

I'm not saying it's set in stone that Suh will have a short career. I'm just saying with him being a little older and having the two knee surgeries already, there is a solid chance that he will have a short career.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 04, 2010, 10:16:44 AM

I don't buy the argument that many make that we can't trade back. There may not be any team that are willing to give up a 1st or 2nd to swap 1st round picks with us, but if that ends up being the case, I'd bet some team would make the move for a 3rd or even a 3rd and 4th. It may be below the "chart value" but if we feel we can get just as good od player in the first a few picks later, and then have an extra pick in the 3rd and maybe 4th.....then it's the right thing to do.

Basically, it comes down to is McCoy or Okung greater than Graham and a few xtra picks in the 3rd/4th?

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to do if we can't have Suh? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools