Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Grothe invited to Bucs' rookie minicamp « previous next »
Page: 1 2

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

: April 27, 2010, 08:36:32 AM

Former USF quarterback Matt Grothe, who was not selected over the weekend in the NFL draft, has accepted an invitation to participate in the Bucs' rookie minicamp on Friday, hoping to land a free-agent contract. "I had a good workout with them -- they were happy with it and so was I," Grothe said. "Everybody that comes into these minicamps isn't guaranteed anything. It's time for me to go out and prove myself." Grothe said he had similar offers from two other NFL teams, but his first shot at the pros will come in Tampa, where he made a name for himself as USF's starting quarterback, finishing as the Big East's all-time career leader in total offense.

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Read more: http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/129569-buccaneers-invite-south-florida-qb-matt-grothe.html#ixzz0mIrvJe7t

Does anyone think he has a shot? Also, does he play any other position?

jaybuc88

Pro Bowler
#1 : April 27, 2010, 09:37:52 AM

Glad to see him at least get a shot

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

#2 : April 27, 2010, 09:39:17 AM

looks like he can also punt, if i'm correct USF may have used him to punt before

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 27, 2010, 09:40:23 AM

I would say this QB camp will be VERY intense.

Got some guys in there with some big games under their belt...(in college anyways)

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 27, 2010, 10:07:31 AM

Grothe is a camp arm.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

jaybuc88

Pro Bowler
#5 : April 27, 2010, 10:10:57 AM

I would say this QB camp will be VERY intense.

Got some guys in there with some big games under their belt...(in college anyways)

Snead will be pushing JJ for backup QB role...watch

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 27, 2010, 10:25:23 AM

Grothe was NEVER a punter.
He has a ton of moxy and grit, things you like to see in a leader. He doesn't have the prototypical pro QB skills, but I would not rule this kid out of anything. He is a warrior. I would love to see him work his way onto the Bucs in some capacity.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 27, 2010, 10:57:18 AM

QB competition looks interesting because now the Bucs have some QB's in the mix with some upside for a change.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#8 : April 27, 2010, 11:02:57 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on the Practice Squad. I am thinking that the QB's may end up being JF,JJ,Snead with Grothe on the practice squad.

Gdubbz

Practice Squad

#9 : April 27, 2010, 02:08:12 PM

Id try him out at receiver. If he can catch he would be a decent slot receiver case hes very hard to tackle.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 27, 2010, 02:46:56 PM

Grothe isn't fast enough to be a receiver. I believe he only ran around a 4.8 40 yard dash and he's short. Grothe is a leader and is passionate, but his skills are lacking. I just don't see him being an NFL QB. He isn't accurate enough and he tends to make stupid decisions throwing the ball. I am fine with bringing him in as a camp body, but I think his future is in the CFL where the field is bigger and he can take advantage of his scrambling ability. Best case scenario...I'd give him a 5% change of making our practice squad.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

nderenzo7

Second String

#11 : April 27, 2010, 08:31:01 PM

Glad to see Matt get a shot. Doubt he beats out Snead but would love to see him do it.

Go Bulls!

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 27, 2010, 09:32:34 PM

Grothe to me just seems tailor made for the CFL.....really think he could be a star there.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 27, 2010, 09:59:48 PM

As much as I loved Grothe in college, I just don't see him doing anything in the NFL. Everything is against him mechanics-wise, and unlike some larger QBs, I can't see him working any other positions either. He has the size for a slot receiver, but not the speed. Same situation as far as a small RB is concerned. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I really don't see anywhere he could fit in the NFL.

Like Sunrise said, he could be a great CFL guy.

Gdubbz

Practice Squad

#14 : April 28, 2010, 12:45:25 PM

Grothe isn't fast enough to be a receiver. I believe he only ran around a 4.8 40 yard dash and he's short. Grothe is a leader and is passionate, but his skills are lacking. I just don't see him being an NFL QB. He isn't accurate enough and he tends to make stupid decisions throwing the ball. I am fine with bringing him in as a camp body, but I think his future is in the CFL where the field is bigger and he can take advantage of his scrambling ability. Best case scenario...I'd give him a 5% change of making our practice squad.

I get your point, but the kid had some serious break away speed, and has agility I would love to see displayed on a receiver type role. Hes just not a NFL type QB by any means in my book. If he wants a shot he going to have to try other positions.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Grothe invited to Bucs' rookie minicamp « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools