Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Passive or Aggressive « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

gone

Hall of Famer
: October 20, 2006, 10:19:02 PM

2 ways to handle the blitz.  Open it up or lock it down.  Max protect or reciever floods. 
Grads has the tools to make the latter work...
Does Gru have enough confidence in him to let him try?
Is Bruce ready to do it if he does?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 21, 2006, 07:42:37 AM

2 ways to handle the blitz.  Open it up or lock it down.  Max protect or reciever floods. 
Grads has the tools to make the latter work...
Does Gru have enough confidence in him to let him try?
Is Bruce ready to do it if he does?

I think Gruden has plenty of confidence in Grads.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 21, 2006, 08:04:31 AM

I find it interesting that the 3 step drop is gone from the playbook now that Grads is playing.   All those batted passes Simms had with that 3 step drop and they stuck with it?   Then Grads comes in and they ditch that strategy completely?   Something seems fishy there.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 21, 2006, 08:35:23 AM

Tampa Bay is generally considered a dink and dunk team, I think the Eagles lay off the Blitz in favor of just "staying their ground", and defending the short/mid field, and in hopes of getting the Bucs off the field.  A blitz might create a chance for a big play.

As for the Bucs, they have to be weary.  The Eagles lead the NFL in big play strikes, believe it or not, with over 20 of them.  Their wideouts are suprisingly quick/fast.  And Westbrook, when in, is doing a great job.  He is a natural receiver, but his YPC is about 5.5.  That is scary.  Espescially since the Bucs have had issues with their run defense, sans Cincy.  And since their isn't much pressure being generated up the gut by the Bucs defense, and on the ends, McNabb might have another 3 or 4 score day.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 21, 2006, 08:47:25 AM

how are you going to flood with 3 active wide outs?  We are not the type to "open it up".  I see max protect.

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 21, 2006, 09:31:11 AM

I find it interesting that the 3 step drop is gone from the playbook now that Grads is playing. All those batted passes Simms had with that 3 step drop and they stuck with it? Then Grads comes in and they ditch that strategy completely? Something seems fishy there.

Java, Chris started using the 5 step drops in the Panther's game and that's when his game started picking up. We almost won that game.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 21, 2006, 10:14:42 AM

i think we should use the shotgun to help grad see the field better when they  blitz , if we can keep them off balance then we can dictate, run the rock, i would go with the same offensive game plan used in the championship game, but now we have a mobile QB

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#7 : October 21, 2006, 12:05:37 PM

I find it interesting that the 3 step drop is gone from the playbook now that Grads is playing.   All those batted passes Simms had with that 3 step drop and they stuck with it?   Then Grads comes in and they ditch that strategy completely?   Something seems fishy there.

It isn't gone, it just works with him. A lot of his throws in both the Saints and Bengals games were 3 step drops. He can actually complete the slants without it getting batted down. If I recall correctly, both TD passes he threw in the Bengals game were 3 step drops.

Secondly, we did flood the field with WRs in the Saints game. When we did, it worked well except for dropped passes. Also, since the Saints game we have had 4 WRs active - against the Saints it was Galloway, Stovall, Clayton, Hilliard and against the Bengals it was Galloway, Clayton, Warren, Hilliard. If Stovall is back, I say flood the field with WRs. Hell, even if Warren is in there flood the field. It really worked well and looked good when we did it against the Saints.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 21, 2006, 12:24:51 PM

I find it interesting that the 3 step drop is gone from the playbook now that Grads is playing. All those batted passes Simms had with that 3 step drop and they stuck with it? Then Grads comes in and they ditch that strategy completely? Something seems fishy there.

It isn't gone, it just works with him. A lot of his throws in both the Saints and Bengals games were 3 step drops. He can actually complete the slants without it getting batted down. If I recall correctly, both TD passes he threw in the Bengals game were 3 step drops.

Secondly, we did flood the field with WRs in the Saints game. When we did, it worked well except for dropped passes. Also, since the Saints game we have had 4 WRs active - against the Saints it was Galloway, Stovall, Clayton, Hilliard and against the Bengals it was Galloway, Clayton, Warren, Hilliard. If Stovall is back, I say flood the field with WRs. Hell, even if Warren is in there flood the field. It really worked well and looked good when we did it against the Saints.

It is not gone, but the 3 step use has been reduced greatly from game 1-3 use.  I found it to be strange as well. 

I love it when the field gets flooded with potential targets.  Getting successful with that - even a little - will pay off greatly and immediately.  As soon as opposing D's recognize the Oline can hold and the qb can hurt them with the passing game everything will get better and easier for the O.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 21, 2006, 01:01:39 PM

It would seem to me that a 5 0r 7 step drop requires the QB to be mobile.

Chris wasn't, Grads is. Maybe that the reason there are less 3 steppers. The 3 steppers are still there, just not quite as many.

Grads also "seemed" to have more time in the pocket. Don't have TIVO, so can't prove it.

Stan, Simms never looked right to me in the three step, but was quite accomplished at the 5-7.  My question is pretty straight forward.  Why did play calling force Simms into 3 step routes so freaking often (right into game 4 when he got more deep drops, and what has changed that now makes the 3 step no longer so vital.  

All the attention to the 3 step batted balls and three step is vital to the WCO, and now everything is 5-7 step.  It is probably me, but I think I am smelling fertilizer.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : October 21, 2006, 12:38:19 PM

I said the same thing to Scurvy last week while watching the game. I asked where all the 3 step drops where, and commented that I didn't remember seeing any in the Saints game. While I don't smell anything fishy, I have to wonder what the hell gives?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 21, 2006, 12:42:50 PM

There was plenty of three step drops last weekend, but Grads makes the read and gets the ball out a lot quicker.  
At the end of the day Grads is a pure rookie and Gruden needs to make adjustments to give him a chance to get used to the speed of them game.  

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#12 : October 21, 2006, 12:43:34 PM

Plenty????

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 21, 2006, 12:51:42 PM

It would seem to me that a 5 0r 7 step drop requires the QB to be mobile.

Chris wasn't, Grads is. Maybe that the reason there are less 3 steppers. The 3 steppers are still there, just not quite as many.

Grads also "seemed" to have more time in the pocket. Don't have TIVO, so can't prove it.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 21, 2006, 12:51:45 PM

I think you guys are getting confused by seein a mobile QB.  Just because it's a 3-step, doesn't mean you have to just sit back there...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Passive or Aggressive « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools