Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Passive or Aggressive « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : October 21, 2006, 12:53:54 PM »

Been wondering the same thing Abuccs - and about some other items as well.  The 3 step timed pattern is on the decline for sure.  I am not as willing a buyer into what is being said by the bucs nor the media that attend to them as I was just a few weeks ago.

Stange stuff: I think I am gonna hafta start a list, from Terry to Boston, Fonoti to Zemantis (sp?)   And we still have Muir and Biasuccia?  Strange year.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : October 21, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »

3 step, 5 step or 7 step-Grads doesn't just stand there.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

rocko23

Hall of Famer
« #17 : October 21, 2006, 01:05:55 PM »

it  was to set him for fail

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #18 : October 21, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

3 step, 5 step or 7 step-Grads doesn't just stand there.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?????? Really???? Bledsoe 40,000+ yards....just stands there. Peyton manning one of the Best ever....just stands there!!!! So obviously has has more to do with just that!!!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #19 : October 21, 2006, 01:07:22 PM »

it  was to set him for fail
English professor???

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #20 : October 21, 2006, 01:10:01 PM »

What in the world does that mean?  "it was set for him to fail". 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rocko23

Hall of Famer
« #21 : October 21, 2006, 01:10:53 PM »

man i am telling you JG wanted grad all along,

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #22 : October 21, 2006, 01:14:46 PM »

It would seem to me that a 5 0r 7 step drop requires the QB to be mobile.

Chris wasn't, Grads is. Maybe that the reason there are less 3 steppers. The 3 steppers are still there, just not quite as many.

Grads also "seemed" to have more time in the pocket. Don't have TIVO, so can't prove it.

Stan, Simms never looked right to me in the three step, but was quite accomplished at the 5-7.  My question is pretty straight forward.  Why did play calling force Simms into 3 step routes so freaking often (right into game 4 when he got more deep drops, and what has changed that now makes the 3 step no longer so vital.  

All the attention to the 3 step batted balls and three step is vital to the WCO, and now everything is 5-7 step.  It is probably me, but I think I am smelling fertilizer.

Grads threw plenty of passes from a three step drop last week, but his feet never stop moving so it looks like he making 5 step drops.  Simms tended to hard count a three step drop and plant his feet on the spot.  When your tackles can't contain the pass rush 7 step drops are risky, but now we have a mobile QB I think Gruden feels a little more confident risking the 7 step drops.

The bottom line is Simms wasn't right for the offense, and Grads is a prototypical WCO QB.  It might seem like a conspiracy but I think Simms is just a victim of being in the wrong O at the wrong time.....thank Rich McKay.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #23 : October 21, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »

Dbuc,

Part of the heavier use of the 3 step in the begining was maybe Gruden didn't have confidence that the OL could hold em out for any reasonable length of time.

It would appear the 3 step decline somewhat with the "improvement" of the OL AND a more mobile QB.

IMO, its just a subtle change. As was the partial elimination of mass protect.

Please don't read a ufojoe conspiracy into it.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

drywallbuc

Starter

« #24 : October 21, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »

well he has him now so lets win some ball games.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #25 : October 21, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »

I like Simms a lot, but the reason we have fewer 3 step drops with Gradkowski isn't to help Grads out.  It has simply been replaced with Gruden's most favorite play, the bootleg.  Gruden rarely called a bootleg with Chris because Chris can't throw on the run.  The change in the offense that you've seen is that the bootleg forces defenses to play a lot more honest.  The beauty of a bootleg is the time it give the recievers to get open, plus the QB can easily take off if nothing is there.  Throw in a play action and the defense has to be mindful of the RB, QB, and all the recievers on the same play.
Good post!!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #26 : October 21, 2006, 01:22:14 PM »

I agree with that part.  But not the "set to fail" - that line of thought is out there.  And no Stan I don't do the conspiracy thing.  Too much at stake for all those that are involved, heck I am just an observer trying to understand the whys.   And no, I don't see the better line play yet - I see the oline has improved from miserable a touch over poor - but that is about it.  Hell, Mahan is an upgrade says it all. 

Changing QBs is within the discretion and perogative of the Head Coach, OC and QB coach.  Gruden is two of those three.  There was no reason to delay a change if that is what he wanted and believed in.  That said, there is little to nothing to hang your statement on - except for the obvious liking Gruden had shown for Grads since he was picked.  

And Tampa Owns Philly, while I have not gone and counted the 3 steps in games 1-3 and those in 4-5 I am comfortably certain the is a large change in the ratio between them.  There are likely reasons - but I can't think of them.  AND I agree Grads is looking like a better fit than Simms in the Gruden O - but there are questions which bother me.

And all that before I go find a Buenning thread - LOL.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #27 : October 21, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

Dbuc,

Part of the heavier use of the 3 step in the begining was maybe Gruden didn't have confidence that the OL could hold em out for any reasonable length of time.

It would appear the 3 step decline somewhat with the "improvement" of the OL AND a more mobile QB.

IMO, its just a subtle change. As was the partial elimination of mass protect.

Please don't read a ufojoe conspiracy into it.

Max Protect! The Simms experience is over. Time to move on. Could Simms have helped himself...YES. Could Jon's playcalling and scheming helped Simms more.......YES. It's a new time, we've GRADuated into the next era.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #28 : October 21, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »

YES. It's a new time, we've GRADuated into the next era.

:o :o :o

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #29 : October 21, 2006, 01:27:16 PM »

I agree with that part.  But not the "set to fail" - that line of thought is out there. 
It's a reading comprehension thing. I stated that Gurden wasn't putting Simms in a position to succeed a few weeks ago. The mentally challanged took that and ran with it, twisting into I was saying Gruden was setting Simms up to fail. Not putting someone in a position to succeeed and setting them up to fail are 2 totally different things. One impiles melicious, intentional, wrongfull acts.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Passive or Aggressive « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools