Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pasquarelli: Rice could be done in Tampa Bay « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 18, 2007, 10:40:11 AM

In a related story, Pasquarelli is not quite done in the buffet line....

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#16 : March 18, 2007, 10:52:28 AM

Again if NO wanted Rice plus one of our two 2nd rounders this year for Grant , I would say hell yeah to that in a heartbeat since Rice's best days are behind him it seems like.

That would be a completely stupid trade. Good thing you don't run the team.

#17 : March 18, 2007, 11:22:40 AM

Again if NO wanted Rice plus one of our two 2nd rounders this year for Grant , I would say hell yeah to that in a heartbeat since Rice's best days are behind him it seems like.

Option, screw you, we could always trade Earnest Graham for a second rounder according to Chrispy.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 18, 2007, 11:28:41 AM

Passthejelly says Simeon is gonna move out, color me silly but I am now on the lookout for the contract extension with better cap numbers for the bucs. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 18, 2007, 11:45:27 AM

I'm with you on that, Chrispy. I'd do that trade without a second thought.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#20 : March 18, 2007, 11:59:40 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2800665

Given that only three franchise players have switched teams since the current system was implemented in 1993, with none changing clubs since 1998, there is always much intrigue when a veteran who has been tagged visits with officials from another club.

And so it isn't particularly surprising that the Friday huddle between New Orleans franchise defensive end Charles Grant and Tampa Bay Bucs coaches and management personnel drew plenty of attention as soon as it was arranged.

There is, to be sure, considerable subplot involved here, not the least of which is the fact the Saints and Bucs play in the the NFC South and are rivals of some note. Yet the ramifications of the Bucs' seemingly serious flirtation with Grant, a fierce competitor coming off a 2006 season in which he rehabilitated his reputation, extends beyond the two teams, and down to a few individuals.

None more prominent than Bucs right defensive end Simeon Rice.

If the Bucs were to successfully pirate Grant away from the Saints -- a long shot under the best of circumstances, and all but impossible to imagine, since New Orleans would find it so difficult to reconcile losing the five-year veteran to a division foe -- it could well mark the end of Rice's tenure with a Tampa Bay franchise he has served well. As it is, the mere suggestion that Tampa Bay is even dabbling with signing Grant to a franchise offer sheet doesn't reflect well on how the Bucs' brass views Rice's future with the team.

One of the NFL's premier pass rushers for most of his 11 seasons in the league, and with 121 career sacks, Rice is trying to recover from a 2006 campaign in which he appeared in only eight games, finished the year on injured reserve with a shoulder problem and notched a career-worst two sacks.

Rice turned 33 last month, is entering the final year of his contract in 2007, and has a base salary of $7.25 million and a salary cap charge of more than $10 million. There were rumblings in each of the last two offseasons that Rice might be cut loose. And the potential pursuit of the younger Grant could signal that the Bucs are ready to jettison Rice this time.

General manager Bruce Allen insisted recently that Rice would be back with the Bucs in 2007. But Allen is the consummate politician, the brother of U.S. Sen. George Allen of Virginia, and a guy known to tell a fib or two.

It's difficult to imagine that a Tampa Bay defense which generated only 25 sacks in 2006, the second fewest in the league, actually might think it could be better in 2007 without Rice. Hard to think that, even as brilliant a coordinator Monte Kiffin might be, he could conjure up an improved pass rush without a guy who has six double-digit sack seasons on his résumé, including 14 sacks as recently as 2005.

But stranger things have happened. And the stranger-than-truth fixation with Grant, who has just 8½ sacks over the past two seasons after registering 21½ sacks 2003-2004, suggests they could again.

The Bucs have one very good, if underrated, defensive end in leftside starter Greg Spires. Last week, they signed Kevin Carter after he was released by Miami and, while the 12-year veteran is showing some age, he is still performing at a high level. The Bucs lost Dewayne White to Detroit in free agency, and that hurt, because he is an emerging player. But they like what they've seen of youngster Jovan Haye.

Toss Grant into the mix and it's a pretty crowded, not to mention, expensive depth chart. It's one that might not have room for Simeon Rice.

#21 : March 18, 2007, 12:19:49 PM

To the couple of dorks that just strongly opposed that Rice & 2nd rounder trade, when you actually know what is going on in football please let me know.  ::)

#22 : March 18, 2007, 12:21:53 PM

No chance in hell I'm trading a crazy egotistical **CENSORED** like Rice to a division opponent for another DE, that's the stuff that would make him garner 3-4 sacks versus us.

#23 : March 18, 2007, 12:23:29 PM

BTW just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they're clueless, if everyone agreed everytime it would be a dull board.

#24 : March 18, 2007, 12:24:21 PM

Yeah but we can counter that with Grant against New Orleans; and it appears that Rice is more concerned with looking pretty & counting his money nowadays than he is at getting sacks.  ;)

#25 : March 18, 2007, 12:25:46 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about by saying looking pretty and counting money, I'm sure he's training, and what I've read of his training process it's sick.

#26 : March 18, 2007, 12:27:09 PM

BTW just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they're clueless, if everyone agreed everytime it would be a dull board.

Huuuh RJ; the sole reason you and your lil buddies follow me ALL OVER the boards every minute I'm on here, is to oppose everything I say and call me dumb because I don't have the same sorry opinions that you all do.  ::)

#27 : March 18, 2007, 12:27:54 PM

No, I respect your opinion, you just post stupid junk most of the time.

#28 : March 18, 2007, 12:30:11 PM

Trust me, the sophmoric crap that you post 99% of the time should be written on a piece of toilet paper and flushed. How in the world you think you're going to be a writer is beyond me. ::)

#29 : March 18, 2007, 12:31:31 PM

We'll see, book comes out in about a month, two at most, early copies end of next week.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pasquarelli: Rice could be done in Tampa Bay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools