Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CJ to Raiders? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: March 18, 2007, 11:49:26 AM

From PFT

POSTED 11:03 a.m. EDT, March 17, 2007

RAIDERS FOCUSED ON JOHNSON?

There's increasing talk in league circles that the Oakland Raiders are planning to select receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Johnson is the best prospect that we've ever seen.  He's big, he's strong, he can jump, he's blazing fast, he has soft hands, and he's not a butthole.

Beyond the fact that Calvin is everything that Randy Moss ever was, and at least one key thing Moss isn't, the simple reality is that the Raiders surely want to turn it around sooner rather than later, given the advancing age and declining health of owner Al Davis.

And Johnson is in a much better position to make an instant impact than quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Of course, Johnson can't be added until Moss is long gone.  And, preferably, Jerry Porter, too.  Why risk letting either of these malcontents infect a guy who is, for now, the rare exception to the rule that receivers generally are pains in ass.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 18, 2007, 11:50:35 AM

Good, they can have him. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 18, 2007, 11:53:26 AM

And if it happens, I view the chances of the Bucs getting JT at #4 to be very, very low. Unforunately.

#3 : March 18, 2007, 11:57:20 AM

Good, they can have him.

yea rite.... while we continue to field mediocrity.

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#4 : March 18, 2007, 11:59:10 AM

Good, they can have him.

yea rite.... while we continue to field mediocrity.

You're gonna make me do it HATE.  Do I really have to refresh the "Screw Calvin" thread for you homie?

OOPS, M-J-S did my dirty work for me.....   thanks for the bump playa!

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 18, 2007, 12:01:32 PM

I am hoping this is a little pre-draft chum in the waters to draw up some interest in a move up.

If Jon really had the hots for Calvin, the Raiders could trade down with us and still probably get Russell at 4.

Although, I don't think the Bucs will take the bait.

If Johnson is gone, we can continue to work on the defense....or trade down and pick up some more picks.

I want CJ badly and I believe he could be the final piece to the Buccaneer offensive puzzle - a guy with young Randy Moss talent and a Marvin Harrison attitude...

But if we can't get him, we can't get him. I just don't want to see Atlanta make a move up for him. They would be utterly devastating....

#6 : March 18, 2007, 12:03:48 PM

I want CJ badly and I believe he could be the final piece to the Buccaneer offensive puzzle -

He could well be but usually you get the first piece of the puzzle in place.....and our O-line stinks.  Not to mention pieces two and three are status unknown......QB and RB.

klb55

Starter

#7 : March 18, 2007, 12:06:42 PM

The Raiders would be fools not to draft C.J.  I don't think C.J. or J.T. will be there at #4.  I say trade down and acquire more picks.  We need to pick up a UT, DE, Safety, Center, and WR.  This is a deep draft and there will be some very good football players in the latter part of round 1, round 2 and 3.  I do hope C.J. is there at 4 but I doubt it.

#8 : March 18, 2007, 12:09:32 PM

I say trade down and acquire more picks.  We need to pick up a UT, DE, Safety, Center, and WR.  This is a deep draft and there will be some very good football players in the latter part of round 1, round 2 and 3. 

Trade down, trade down, trade down……blah blah blah……real damned easy to say but a whole lot harder to do.  Your logic is there will be good players available in rounds 2 & 3 with the extra pick(s)………so why would any team trade away those picks……are they just not as smart as the Buccs or something.   ??? :o ::)

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 18, 2007, 12:10:47 PM

MJS - I don't believe our O-line is that bad...especially with Pettigout in the fold.

With AD moving to guard, he'll provide some innerthump. I've always felt he was better suited for guard. We need a center and more consistency from the younguns True and Joseph.

You can't keep throwing bodies at the problem and hope one sticks. You've gotta let them develop.

I think a Petty-Davis-Kalil (if we can get him in the 2nd rd)-Joseph-Trueblood is not going to make anyone forget the Broncos o-line, but it has a makings of a decent one.

It will be a lot better than last season.

#10 : March 18, 2007, 12:13:20 PM

He could well be but usually you get the first piece of the puzzle in place.....and our O-line stinks. Not to mention pieces two and three are status unknown......QB and RB.

We agree on the status unknown but we should also point out that we have ONE proven WR, who happens to be on the wrong side of 35. And by your post, i'm assuming you're expecting Thomas will be there @ 4. Well, i'm of the mindset that the Cardinals will jump us for him. Then where does that leave us?

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#11 : March 18, 2007, 12:15:51 PM

I say trade down and acquire more picks.  We need to pick up a UT, DE, Safety, Center, and WR.  This is a deep draft and there will be some very good football players in the latter part of round 1, round 2 and 3.  

Trade down, trade down, trade down……blah blah blah……real damned easy to say but a whole lot harder to do. Your logic is there will be good players available in rounds 2 & 3 with the extra pick(s)………so why would any team trade away those picks……are they just not as smart as the Buccs or something. ??? :o ::)

No matter who is taken in the 3 picks before us, teams will still be ringing the phone off the hook "panties wet" over one of the remaining top 4 (Russell, Peterson, CJ and JT).  Somebody might really think they are 1 player away, if that's the case they might not be cold to the idea of giving up a second and third for the chance to draft their guy.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 18, 2007, 12:21:04 PM

If CJ and Thomas are both gone and the Bucs cannot trade down, I'd just select from Okoye or Adams with my personal choice being Okoye.  Guy has the potential to be a disruptive force from the UT position, something we haven't had in Warren.

#13 : March 18, 2007, 12:24:26 PM

MJS - I don't believe our O-line is that bad...especially with Pettigout in the fold.

Well you entiltled to your opinion but i just see it very differently.  We aren't going to go from one of the worst O-lines to adequate with the addition of Pettigout.  Trueblood is an average right tackle at best, and AD is the back-up.    :o

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 18, 2007, 12:24:56 PM

Well, i'm of the mindset that the Cardinals will jump us for him.

I have very little doubt that they would trade in front of us for Thomas. He's the player they covet most.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CJ to Raiders? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools