Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CJ to Raiders? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Shag

Pro Bowler

#45 : March 20, 2007, 10:17:10 AM

If CJ and JT are gone the Bucs have to take BPA unless they have someone to dance with to trade down. This draft is crazy like that, there really isn't a top defensive player, one that's worth a 4th anyway.

That could change in a few weeks. Just about that time some players start to get talked about and you can tell what the real scouts rate them. The way it looks right now we might not be in a good position to get a need player. We should be ready to take any trade down offer.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#46 : March 20, 2007, 11:34:54 AM

I honestly don't see the Raiders passing on Russell (I've said this before). They need a face of the fanchise and something for the fans to be excited and hopeful about. Russell is going to do that more than Johnson will. Also, the Raiders are not going to go into next year with just Andrew Walter as their QB. Al Davis's teams have always been about having a strong armed QB and throwing the deep ball. Davis knows his team is not going to be very good this year and probably will have another top 5 pick next year. Better to pick the QB this season and have him get some experience, but more than that, Russell is going to put fanny's in seats - something he needs much more than a reciever. Hell, Oakland couldn't get the ball to Moss last year, what makes anyone think that the Qb's that they do have can get the ball to Johnson this one? Russell is the pick. At least until or if they unload Moss and pick up another QB.

Detroit has solidified most of it's critical needs so they are in position to move down, the problem is that the only team that could possibly make the move up is Arizona and they don't need to move that far. Detroit picks their fanchise QB (again) and gives the fans some hope (again). However, this time, the QB just might pay off.

Cleveland is in an interesting position now with AP, Johnson and Thomas all available. They are pretty sure that TB doesn't want AP and they know that the Cards want Thomas (they could use him too, but AP is a bigger need). So it's possible that they trade down with Arizona and let them pick Thomas (they don't need any recievers). Cleveland drops to #5, picks up a 2nd and a 4th and still gets the player that they want. However, Arizona might roll the dice and hold fast at #5 and let Cleveland take AP at #3. BTW, Washington doesn't have the picks to get to #3 and it would cost to much for Minnesota to go from #7 to #3 and I'm pretty sure that Cleveland wouldn't want to drop that far. Arizona is Clevelands only reasonable trading partner.

This allows TB to take their pick of either Thomas or Johnson. If TB takes Johnson, then Arizona gets the player that they want in Thomas. If the Bucs opt for Thomas, then they can trade the #5 pick to Minnesota for Minnesota's 7th pick and their 2nd and possibly 5th pick and then they can get Levi Brown if they really want a offensive lineman.

As it gets closer to the draft, it looks more and more like 1) the Bucs will have their pick of either Thomas or Johnson and 2) there is likely to be no movement in the top 4 picks.

That's the way I see it.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#47 : March 20, 2007, 11:38:04 AM

I honestly don't see the Raiders passing on Russell (I've said this before). They need a face of the fanchise and something for the fans to be excited and hopeful about. Russell is going to do that more than Johnson will.

I agree the Fader would be fools to pass on QB for WR but Calvin is a ticket to print money. The day he gets drafted he'll sell more shirts for the fans than any player on the roster of the top 4 teams. He's the guy that makes fan's madden teams rock the world. QB's will sell the future, Calvin, despite history, will be seen as more of a now player. Right thought, I just don't agree with the logic of why.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#48 : March 20, 2007, 05:49:37 PM

dal,

While I'm not a fan of Pastabelly, this is actually one of his better articles on wide recievers in general: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2805425 and supports the reason why I think the Raiders will ultimately choose Russell over Johnson. Johnson may or may not be the best player in the draft, but you can find impact wide recievers throughout the draft. I'm sure you can fire back and say the same about quarterbacks.

However, when it comes down to a single player that can become the face of the fanchise, that's almost always the Quarterback. Think of the Colts, you think of Manning, of the Pats, you think of Brady, the old Comboys, Aikman (usually before Irvin and Smith), the old 49'ers, Montana even though they had Rice. Davis has been casting around for a QB since Gannon got broken in Tampa. Johnson is going to be tempting to the old boy, no doubt about it. But I'm betting that he goes with the guy that can toss the ball to the other end of the field before he pulls the trigger on the guy that has to be under it to catch it. Even if he dumps Moss and Porter and drafts Johnson, he still only has Andrew Walter tossing the ball. Even a guy like Johnson is going to look very mortal when the QB can't get the ball more than 30 yards down the field.

I note your point and this will be endlessly debated until the draft. No one really knows what Davis will do. However, I'm going to believe that he does the sensible thing for his franchise and picks Russell.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

#49 : March 20, 2007, 06:06:26 PM

If CJ is gone trade down and take Okoye. If not stay at 4 and take Laron Landry
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CJ to Raiders? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools