Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen says 18 more players including draftees « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: March 19, 2007, 01:02:10 PM

Sounds to me like he has a very exact plan of action. Not knowing who other teams will make available and how much cap space they would occupy, it seems odd that he would make such a precise prediction. It could be he was just screwing with the Tribune and Kaufman.

Very interesting offseason so far.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 19, 2007, 01:04:47 PM

I can understand signing a few FA signings to help add some talent back on this team, but the whole team change over that happened in 04 didnt turn out so well.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 19, 2007, 01:13:48 PM

Change is necessary in the NFL salary cap era.

It happened in 02 and in 05 but no one was complaining then.

klb55

Starter

#3 : March 19, 2007, 01:33:44 PM

Link?

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 19, 2007, 01:35:00 PM

Change is necessary in the NFL salary cap era.

It happened in 02 and in 05 but no one was complaining then.

TBF wasn't around back then...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 19, 2007, 01:36:55 PM

Well the Bucs had a losing season last year and the roster (except draftees) remained unchanged from 05.  There is no proven formula or one way being the right way.  The Patriots for example approach free agency differently every year.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 19, 2007, 01:44:58 PM

Well the Bucs had a losing season last year and the roster (except draftees) remained unchanged from 05.  There is no proven formula or one way being the right way.  The Patriots for example approach free agency differently every year.

I don't think they approach it differently each year, I think it's a long-term approach they have towards it, so it may look different but in reality it's the same plan all along.

I do have a hard time believing 18 more players though.  At least not starters or primary backups.  Paying just vet min for 18 guys with some experience would be a heavy load.  I'm not opposed to a major overhaul though, we do need it...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 19, 2007, 01:51:25 PM

Paying just vet min for 18 guys with some experience would be a heavy load.  I'm not opposed to a major overhaul though, we do need it...

I've not seen the article, but apparently it is 18 more players including draftees (so there's 7-9 right there, depending).

calicojack

Starter
#8 : March 19, 2007, 01:52:02 PM

Perhaps the precise number 18 was a simply subtraction of the number of players the Bucs have signed from the total number they are allowed to sign.

The Dream Team

Bucmaniac86

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 19, 2007, 01:53:19 PM

you gotta remember that the bucs always bring in a bunch of undrafted free agents too

quezilla

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 19, 2007, 02:18:26 PM

I just hope we remain flexible, and draft on talent, and not need.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 19, 2007, 02:21:12 PM

I don't think they approach it differently each year, I think it's a long-term approach they have towards it, so it may look different but in reality it's the same plan all along.

I do have a hard time believing 18 more players though.  At least not starters or primary backups.  Paying just vet min for 18 guys with some experience would be a heavy load.  I'm not opposed to a major overhaul though, we do need it...

Good point about the Patriots plan and how they approach building a roster long term.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 19, 2007, 02:27:09 PM

Well the Bucs had a losing season last year and the roster (except draftees) remained unchanged from 05. There is no proven formula or one way being the right way. The Patriots for example approach free agency differently every year.

I believe the transition from Griese to Simms to a different version of Simms to Gradkowski to Rattay was a drastic change. The schedule had it's effect as well. Nothing stays the same in the NFL but experience is supposed to be a good thing.

Trades and cuts will add to the cap space and most of the coming additions won't make the final cut. I'm curious to see if Allen's projection is even close to accurate. I have confidence in his abilities but there are just too many unknown factors. Something has to come as a surprise to him. It is not possible to know everything about every team in the league.

Bucmaniac86

Pro Bowler

#13 : March 19, 2007, 02:27:19 PM

did we ever get a link from this?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#14 : March 19, 2007, 02:27:50 PM

I don't think we can afford to sign 18 more players.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen says 18 more players including draftees « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools