Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The only way we can win the last two games. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

westcoastbuc

Second String

: December 22, 2010, 09:29:50 AM

The only way we can win the last two games is lean on Josh Freeman.  Let him make the plays.  The QB-WR combo is our biggest weapon right now and we have to use it.  The defense is gassed and rashed with injuries, to try to run the ball and 'pound the rock'  won't work.  Let Freeman and his bunch of WR's play ball!

WestCoastBuc~

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 22, 2010, 09:31:03 AM

disagree.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#2 : December 22, 2010, 09:52:03 AM

Offense is this team's strength, they need to score and score often to have a chance to win out.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 22, 2010, 11:27:47 AM

Defense is the weak link right now. We need to involve Blount more against Seattle. Against the Saints, it hardly matters. Brees is going to have a field day. I say get everybody off the bench and turn Freeman loose. Use everything in the playbook. Sneak twelve men on the field. Whatever it takes. Have some fun and throw deep on every other play. Their strength is paired up against our weakness. We can't be conservative and expect anything good.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 22, 2010, 01:15:06 PM

Yep, time to go back to the 80s Chargers and score, score, score. Offense needs to score 38 and hope the other team doesn't score 39. I think Morris will act differently this week if the game is tight in the 4th quarter.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 22, 2010, 01:23:35 PM

Blount should of had 25+ carries and 200+ yards last week.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 22, 2010, 01:38:29 PM

I agree. Our defense is not good at all.

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 22, 2010, 01:56:21 PM

Offense is this team's strength, they need to score and score often to have a chance to win out.

Who would of thought we'd ever say that? ha

Chaos

Starter
#8 : December 22, 2010, 01:59:50 PM

We have to run the ball effectively, use up the clock, CONVERT 3RD DOWNS, and that is the Key......Drew Brees has been a headache to our defense the last 2 years, even with our starters on the field, so with these medioce backups in the secondary we need to keep him off the field!!

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 22, 2010, 02:03:34 PM

Agreed. The defense is absolutely shredded by injuries and while I still think there's some life left in some of them, they certainly can't be depended on to get us a win.

However, I disagree that we should do nothing but throw. We have a very good RB. Use him. Heck, use him more. 15 carries when you're averaging over 7 ypc is a crime. And for goodness sake, run some more play actions. It seems like Olson will run several times in a row to the point where it becomes really obvious that we're going to run again, and once the defense stacks the box to stop it he'll stay away for several possessions. Keep the defense honest. If they're worried about both Freeman and Blount at the same time, we have them where we want them. Under Olson it's almost always one or the other, because he'll handcuff Freeman for the first 3 quarters and then let him loose while sitting Blount on the bench for the 4th.

FreeWill

Starter

#10 : December 22, 2010, 02:12:34 PM

Agreed. The defense is absolutely shredded by injuries and while I still think there's some life left in some of them, they certainly can't be depended on to get us a win.

However, I disagree that we should do nothing but throw. We have a very good RB. Use him. Heck, use him more. 15 carries when you're averaging over 7 ypc is a crime. And for goodness sake, run some more play actions. It seems like Olson will run several times in a row to the point where it becomes really obvious that we're going to run again, and once the defense stacks the box to stop it he'll stay away for several possessions. Keep the defense honest. If they're worried about both Freeman and Blount at the same time, we have them where we want them. Under Olson it's almost always one or the other, because he'll handcuff Freeman for the first 3 quarters and then let him loose while sitting Blount on the bench for the 4th.

Great post. The key to the final two games is Blount. He needs 25+ carries in both of these games for the Bucs to have a chance. Look what Ray Rice did to the Saints last week, that appears to be their only real weakness.

benir0

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 22, 2010, 02:31:57 PM

The only way we can win the last two games is lean on Josh Freeman.  Let him make the plays.  The QB-WR combo is our biggest weapon right now and we have to use it.  The defense is gassed and rashed with injuries, to try to run the ball and 'pound the rock'  won't work.  Let Freeman and his bunch of WR's play ball!

We are thin on the OL as well and Freeman is such a slow starter.  We need him to start faster and for even more backups to step up once again.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 22, 2010, 02:40:39 PM

Great post. The key to the final two games is Blount. He needs 25+ carries in both of these games for the Bucs to have a chance. Look what Ray Rice did to the Saints last week, that appears to be their only real weakness.

Interesting point, let's see if it has any merit:

In their wins:

Peterson: 19 carries, 87 yards (Vikings scored 9)
Gore: 20 carries, 112 yards (49ers scored 22)
DeAngelo Williams: 13 carries, 86 yards (Panthers scored 14)
Cadillac Williams: 10 carries, 18 yards (we scored 6)
Mendenhall: 15 carries, 71 yards (Steelers scored 10)
Panthers(they had like 7 guys run): 24 carries, 117 yards (scored 3)
Lynch: 7 carries, 36 yards (Seahawks scored 19)
Jones: 13 carries, 44 yards (Cowboys scored 27)
Benson: 19 carries, 49 yards (Bengals scored 30)
Jackson: 16 carries, 96 yards (Rams scored 13)

In their losses:

Turner: 30 carries, 114 yards. (Falcons scored 27)
Wells: 20 carries, 35 yards. Cardinals scored 30.
Hillis: 16 carries, 69 yards. Browns scored 30.
Rice: 31 carries, 153 yards. (Ravens scored 30)

Well, it's clear that you don't necessarily HAVE to run the ball to have success...but in 3 of their 4 losses(Arizona was an aberration due to a million turnovers by the Saints) teams had success running the ball. More important, Turner, Hillis, and Rice are power runners. It's also worth noting that Peterson, Gore, Williams, and Jackson are also pretty physical runners and they also all had pretty good success...and yet, only one of those running backs hit 20 carries. In fact, even though Beanie Wells did absolutely nothing for the Cardinals, he still got 20 carries and the Cardinals still won. Again, that game was an aberration, but it's certainly possible that keeping the Saints off the field hurts their rhythm on offense as well as wearing down their defense by running the ball frequently.

Judging by the numbers, I wouldn't say that running the ball is the clear key to victory, nor is it 100% necessary. But you can't ignore the games by Hillis, Turner, and Rice...particularly the latter. It's also very important to note that we didn't even have Blount in our first game...they haven't seen him yet outside of film. That could make a huge difference. I think we absolutely have to use Blount, whether or not he even has success, in order to set up the pass. Freeman is the key to victory, but he won't be able to outgun Drew Brees without some help.
: December 22, 2010, 02:45:42 PM nubcake

DiSalvo

Starter

#13 : December 22, 2010, 03:20:27 PM

Don't tell Raheem the Dream that....he is still under the delusion that this is a defensive team , and he coaches like it... ::)

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 22, 2010, 04:57:33 PM

It's acutally really simple... if the Saints have something to play for, the Bucs will lose.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The only way we can win the last two games. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools