Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stroud: Lockout clouds Bucs future « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: January 05, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

TAMPA At the end of each season, NFL players empty the contents of their lockers into giant plastic bags, sling them over their shoulders and head home. It's a time for healing.

But Bucs center Jeff Faine knows this year there will be even harder knocks to recover from in the offseason.

"We're about to be locked out of the building," said Faine, the Bucs' elected union rep. "Our key cards are not going to work anymore. That's what it is. We've got to prepare for that."

If the league and the NFL Players Association do not agree on extending their labor agreement by March 4, the owners are expected to lock out the players.

The union could respond by decertifying and filing an antitrust suit. Under either scenario, it could mean the cancellation of free agency, offseason workouts, minicamps, training camp. Perhaps the 2011 season would be in jeopardy.

For a team like the Bucs, the youngest in the league trying to build on the momentum of a 10-6 season, the work stoppage could be devastating.

Before last season, quarterback Freeman set the tone for his team by organizing workouts with receivers, tight ends and defensive backs in February and June, when players weren't required to be at the team facility.

Now those unsupervised practices might have to be conducted at a Tampa high school field or park.

"It all starts in the offseason," Freeman said. "You're building a foundation for the next year. I think these guys get that. I'm definitely going to do a lot of work with Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, (Dezmon) Briscoe all these young receivers. I'm going to work with LeGarrette. We're definitely not taking this offseason lightly.

"We'll be ready once the season starts next year, trust me. Regardless, we'll be up to speed, ready to go."

Meanwhile, it's Faine's job to keep his teammates up to speed on what's happening at the negotiating table.

Despite an enterprise set to earn an estimated $9 billion in revenue in 2011, owners and players are not making much progress on how to slice the pie.

After some owners incurred huge debts constructing stadiums, they'd like to take about an additional $1 billion out of the revenue pool. Players want more money for health care once their careers end and for retired players.

-------

Certainly, millionaire players are at a disadvantage against billionaire owners, who have $4 billion in television revenue guaranteed whether there is football or not. Players don't draw checks until the regular season, and benefits, such as insurance, could run out in March.

"Obviously, the guys who are independent, it's a little easier," Faine said. "But guys with families, kids, the wife is pregnant, kids need medical attention. There are quite a few players on this team with children on the way.

"I've done my best to get the word out that we're not striking. That's the general perception, that we are unhappy. We're trying to get it out there as much as possible that they control TV, they control SportsCenter and just about anything else that has anything to do with the media or TV outlet. That's what the people are listening to and watching."

Faine knows those oversized bags came in handy this year, and his advice to players was don't leave anything behind.

Full article: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article1143602.ece?source=rss_teams_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 05, 2011, 03:42:29 PM

I love how these guys act like they struggle to put food on the table.  Geezus..

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 05, 2011, 03:48:13 PM

Faine has been pushing the insurance thing for awhile.

They will have COBRA. It's costs an arm and a leg but it's not like everyone is going to be without insurance and die.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 05, 2011, 03:52:48 PM

Can't slip anything past the good 'doc.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 05, 2011, 03:54:52 PM

For a team like the Bucs, the youngest in the league trying to build on the momentum of a 10-6 season, the work stoppage could be devastating.

Before last season, quarterback Freeman set the tone for his team by organizing workouts with receivers, tight ends and defensive backs in February and June, when players weren't required to be at the team facility.

Now those unsupervised practices might have to be conducted at a Tampa high school field or park.

OMG! They might have to practice somewhere besides One Buc Place? That could be devastating! Somehow, I think they'll be just fine. Stroud is an ass.

Leave it to Cyber to post a negative article after such a great season.

HitTheBlount

Second String

#5 : January 05, 2011, 04:06:50 PM

"But guys with families, kids, the wife is pregnant, kids need medical attention. There are quite a few players on this team with children on the way."

i cant believe im reading this, this makes me think i was high and reading it wrong. i love the bucs but lets not act like were living paycheck to paycheck here. try working your ass off for 400 bucks a week then talk about your bills - jackazz

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 05, 2011, 04:16:24 PM

March 4th!!!

I'll worry when its March 1st.

Way to much money to be lost by all sides. It simply won't happen.

If it does for some strange reason it won't affect our Young bucs anymore than any other team. In fact I'd speculate that the older teams in the League should be more nervous.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 05, 2011, 04:17:53 PM

"But guys with families, kids, the wife is pregnant, kids need medical attention. There are quite a few players on this team with children on the way."

i cant believe im reading this, this makes me think i was high and reading it wrong. i love the bucs but lets not act like were living paycheck to paycheck here. try working your ass off for 400 bucks a week then talk about your bills - jackazz

Well, some of the guys make $300,000. And if their standard of living matches that salary and they're not prepared for the lock-out, they could struggle. It won't be the kind of struggling like
the $400 a week guy goes through but it could be a challenge. It's all relative. Most of what you hear from player reps like Faine is for bargaining leverage. But it's not working. A least from a fan's perspective.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 05, 2011, 04:18:57 PM

In fact I'd speculate that the older teams in the League should be more nervous.

I agree. They're less likely to get together on their own like Free, MW, Benn and Briscoe will. And in a park in Tampa, no less!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 05, 2011, 04:21:15 PM

Should be titled "Stroud Clouds Bucs Future"

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 05, 2011, 04:31:11 PM

Good one.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 05, 2011, 04:34:18 PM

March 4th!!!

If it does for some strange reason it won't affect our Young bucs anymore than any other team. In fact I'd speculate that the older teams in the League should be more nervous.

I don't know where this myth got started or why people keep repeating it, but it needs to stop.

The owners have ALL THE INCENTIVE IN THE WORLD to lockout. The only side that loses out is the players, and they have no control over the situation. The only thing the owners have to lose out on is watching football for a year, and I think they'll be just fine with forgoing that with millions at stake

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 05, 2011, 04:38:28 PM

You are missing the point. I think Stroud is saying that a lockout could eliminate OTAs, training camp, and other team-building activities. Some offseason work will be missed. Coaches won't be able to do much other than to look at film everyday. Players are pretty much on their own. And missing that work is bound to have some kind of an impact on a developing team.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 05, 2011, 04:43:20 PM

March 4th!!!

I don't know where this myth got started or why people keep repeating it, but it needs to stop.

The owners have ALL THE INCENTIVE IN THE WORLD to lockout. The only side that loses out is the players, and they have no control over the situation. The only thing the owners have to lose out on is watching football for a year, and I think they'll be just fine with forgoing that with millions at stake

You want to say that the owners have more leverage? I'm fine with that but make no mistake about it. They will lose money, millions. I think you'll have a hard time convincing owners that giving up money, when many likely need the money, on the idea that they'll make up for the lost money with additional revenue over the next 5, 10, 15 years......

I hope i'm right and your wrong, not because i want to be right but because i really  hope we have Buc ball to watch next year. I already miss it :(

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 05, 2011, 04:46:38 PM

You are missing the point. I think Stroud is saying that a lockout could eliminate OTAs, training camp, and other team-building activities. Some offseason work will be missed. Coaches won't be able to do much other than to look at film everyday. Players are pretty much on their own. And missing that work is bound to have some kind of an impact on a developing team.

Oh, well if a lockout happens then the Bucs staff and players should just give up and quit. Might as well just forget about staying in shape or do anything football related. They could also cry a little bit too.
: January 05, 2011, 04:48:41 PM BucBalla85
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stroud: Lockout clouds Bucs future « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools