Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Robin Williams dead in apparent suicide « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#45 : August 15, 2014, 08:46:38 AM

That's fair.  Let's say like chiding a person with a broken leg for refusing to walk then.
Is it fair to compare depression to adhd? Or add,  or whatever the clinical term is?
Being neither someone who is neither a psychiatrist nor who has suffered from adhd, I can't speak for that condition.  But clinical depression ... it's more than just being sad.  If you'd like to try to emphasize with someone who's been less fortunate in regard to the disease than you appear to have been, this is a really good read:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html
I think the correlation between what some consider brain conditions is a better comparison than a broken leg, but I haven't had the first 2.  Or maybe I have been depressed? Maybe i dealt with it better?  Or maybe I was just sad?  Maybe depression could be considered when an individual lets sadness (or lack of happiness/emotion) control their lives?  Maybe I could say the same thing about alcoholism?

I think people expect too much.  Expect to be happy.  Expect to be rich.  Expect to have the toys and life your neighbor has.  Expect no pain and suffering.  Expect roses and rainbows.  Expect things to fall in place.  Expect humans to be nice.

So from the story, there is no cure? You just have to live ( or commit suicide) until you find your kernel?
: August 15, 2014, 08:50:01 AM GameTime

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

acacius

Hall of Famer

#46 : August 15, 2014, 09:11:48 AM

I think people expect too much.  Expect to be happy.  Expect to be rich.  Expect to have the toys and life your neighbor has.  Expect no pain and suffering.  Expect roses and rainbows.  Expect things to fall in place.  Expect humans to be nice.
I think you have a spectacular misunderstanding of what it's like to suffer from major depression.  I envy you, and sincerely hope you are able to spend the rest of your life comfortable in your ignorance.

So from the story, there is no cure? You just have to live ( or commit suicide) until you find your kernel?
If your take away from that story was that she was cured by the kernel, I really just don't know what to say.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#47 : August 15, 2014, 09:20:55 AM

Ignorance is bliss.  I'm a tangible person.  Whenever depression is discussed all that's ever said is , "you wouldn't understand."    Yet on the other hand it's said we need more awareness?  There's no diagnosed way to acquire depression, no way to cure it? 

What's the takeaway from that story?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#48 : August 22, 2014, 09:47:32 PM

That's fair.  Let's say like chiding a person with a broken leg for refusing to walk then.
Is it fair to compare depression to adhd? Or add,  or whatever the clinical term is?
Being neither someone who is neither a psychiatrist nor who has suffered from adhd, I can't speak for that condition.  But clinical depression ... it's more than just being sad.  If you'd like to try to emphasize with someone who's been less fortunate in regard to the disease than you appear to have been, this is a really good read:

I think the correlation between what some consider brain conditions is a better comparison than a broken leg, but I haven't had the first 2.  Or maybe I have been depressed? Maybe i dealt with it better?  Or maybe I was just sad?  Maybe depression could be considered when an individual lets sadness (or lack of happiness/emotion) control their lives?  Maybe I could say the same thing about alcoholism?

Yes there is no cure.   It rips at the person's soul.  It is hard to watch

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#49 : August 23, 2014, 07:28:32 AM

Just saw another article in a trusted magazine.

It's looking more and more like his death was more than just 'speculation'...

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#50 : August 23, 2014, 12:41:30 PM

Did you read the part where it said he died from autoerotic asphyxiation?

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#51 : August 24, 2014, 09:18:56 AM

No.

True?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#52 : August 24, 2014, 10:00:45 AM

No, I'm sorry. David Carradine was able to snatch the pebble of immortality out of the hand of death.  But you weren't far off, he is a kinky bastard.

** Wait what happened to your Carradine comment?  :o
: August 24, 2014, 10:03:08 AM Cyrus

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#53 : August 24, 2014, 10:34:22 AM

No, I'm sorry. David Carradine was able to snatch the pebble of immortality out of the hand of death.  But you weren't far off, he is a kinky bastard.

** Wait what happened to your Carradine comment?  :o

I was wondering the same thing.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#54 : August 24, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

I don't know, Donkey..

Usually TheChronicHotAir is my go-to source for rock solid reliable information. Now he's got me confused as hell.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#55 : August 24, 2014, 06:25:23 PM

I deleted it... 'cause it might have been too inappropriate...

I know.... when has that ever stopped me before. :-)

EvansUptheGut

Second String

#56 : August 30, 2014, 11:33:26 AM

Did you read the part where it said he died from autoerotic asphyxiation?

I think that was obvious from the initial reports.   Doesn't matter that he died masterbating.   That's a noble way to go.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#57 : Today at 02:59:45 AM

Yes there is no cure.   It rips at the person's soul.  It is hard to watch

Same with schizophrenia, ADHD, etc.

Chemicals are outta whack so try to balance them with different doses and different chemicals until something works.

We've done an okay job at fighting symptoms, but making it go away? Its not a virus, a bacteria or a growth... its your brain not tilted just right.

Source: Counseling grad school ... So glad I left that though. Job market is turrible.

Sig change requested by \"threadkiller\". I delivered with the most disturbing thing I came across on the college boards x)

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Robin Williams dead in apparent suicide « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools