Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #30 : March 28, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »

Why is someone arguing against the conference that has had 4 different teams winning 5 straight national championships?

because in BCS national championships the BE is UNDEFEATED!!!

a perfect 0-0

actually the BE is 0-2 in NC games. VT lost to FSU in 1999 and Miami lost to OSU in 2002

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #31 : March 29, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »

Why is someone arguing against the conference that has had 4 different teams winning 5 straight national championships?

because in BCS national championships the BE is UNDEFEATED!!!

a perfect 0-0

actually the BE is 0-2 in NC games. VT lost to FSU in 1999 and Miami lost to OSU in 2002

Miami beat Nebraska in 2001 so the Big East record is 1-2

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #32 : March 30, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

None of those count because neither Miami or VT is currently in the BE

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #33 : March 30, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

That last Auburn win might not count either when it is all said and done

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #34 : April 01, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »

Why shouldn't they count?  The Big East was a part of the BCS when those wins and losses occurred and both Miami and VT were in the Big East.

So are you saying that they should just count in the ACC's total?  That would mean bringing the ACC to 2-3  with of course one BCS game being two ACC teams playing each other VT vs FSU!  ;)  Should that be given an extra reward as the MNC was against 2 teams associated with the same conference? 8)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #35 : April 01, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »

Why shouldn't they count?  The Big East was a part of the BCS when those wins and losses occurred and both Miami and VT were in the Big East.

So are you saying that they should just count in the ACC's total?  That would mean bringing the ACC to 2-3  with of course one BCS game being two ACC teams playing each other VT vs FSU!  ;)  Should that be given an extra reward as the MNC was against 2 teams associated with the same conference? 8)

Did BornaRunole actually make a valid point on this board?  Have the oceans turned to blood too?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #36 : April 03, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »

FSU and VT would have met in the ACC Championship in 1999 and the winner would have likely played Nebraska for the national championship with the loser just playing in a BCA at-large bowl.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #37 : April 03, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

Why shouldn't they count? 

Because we are talking about the current BE, not something that will never happen again.

If we are talking about current conference alignments and current ACC teams that have been to the BCS-CG then yes, the ACC gets to say we have Miami and VT. And you get 1 and a half brownie points for VT vs FSU, spend them wisely

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #38 : April 04, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »

Why shouldn't they count? 

Because we are talking about the current BE, not something that will never happen again.

If we are talking about current conference alignments and current ACC teams that have been to the BCS-CG then yes, the ACC gets to say we have Miami and VT. And you get 1 and a half brownie points for VT vs FSU, spend them wisely

I have a much more logical thought.    VT and Miami get their BCS MNC games given to the conference they were in when they participated in the Big East, and will get theirs for the ACC when they actually do it in the ACC.  At Present FSU has won (1) BCS MNC and lost 2, and has been to 5 MNC games since being in the ACC when they won in 1993 and lost the mulligan in 1996.

They very well could have won or shared another MNC had they beat Oklahoma in 1979.

Personally, I think BCS stands for BS anyway and I have never felt like any Division One Championships in Football are real until they are called NCAA National Championships and awarded with a NCAA  trophy.   The fact that the BCS didn't even exist prior to 1998 again shows little its real significance has been to CFB.
Just another attempt at avoiding a real playoff.

They will always be Mythical to me until there is a real playoff.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
« #39 : April 05, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »

Damn people why are we even getting so damn technical, look at the stats all you want but when it comes to putting money on a team is ANYBODY gonna go against the top SEC team each year?  I can't stand Florida but they were the best team both years they won,just like LSU was and just like Alabama was.  I refuse to give Auburn credit as they bought this years championship but had Oregon played Alabama or LSU I still think the SEC would have come out on top.  Whine all you want about the Big East - are you serious who the hell is decent in the Big East??  USF (lol), West Virginia (lol), oh yeah UCONN, yeah thats a real power conference there.  Big 12 - waste, Big Ten - Ohio State and ten little sisters and can't stand OSU, PAC 10 - hmm other than USC and Oregon this past year who do they have?

Point is the SEC is and has been the best conference hands down vs any other conference, they go usually four or five deep in teams that could win it all every year and what does that say when the other conferences put together do not even have that?  The ACC, Big East, PAC 10, Big Ten and Big 12 are all jokes when it comes to top teams, yeah they might have a very good team but again show me a team that can match up with Alabama, LSU and Florida year in and year out??

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #40 : April 05, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »

Damn people why are we even getting so damn technical, look at the stats all you want but when it comes to putting money on a team is ANYBODY gonna go against the top SEC team each year?  I can't stand Florida but they were the best team both years they won,just like LSU was and just like Alabama was.  I refuse to give Auburn credit as they bought this years championship but had Oregon played Alabama or LSU I still think the SEC would have come out on top.  Whine all you want about the Big East - are you serious who the hell is decent in the Big East??  USF (lol), West Virginia (lol), oh yeah UCONN, yeah thats a real power conference there.  Big 12 - waste, Big Ten - Ohio State and ten little sisters and can't stand OSU, PAC 10 - hmm other than USC and Oregon this past year who do they have?

Point is the SEC is and has been the best conference hands down vs any other conference, they go usually four or five deep in teams that could win it all every year and what does that say when the other conferences put together do not even have that?  The ACC, Big East, PAC 10, Big Ten and Big 12 are all jokes when it comes to top teams, yeah they might have a very good team but again show me a team that can match up with Alabama, LSU and Florida year in and year out??

While I certainly agree that the SEC has more upper level teams than any other conference spare me that they have 4-5 teams that could win it all every year if there was a real playoff in place. The point is the most talented team doesn't always win in a playoff format.  The current BCS totally favors the "alleged" best team coasting into the MNC every year and that is just a flawed system IMO.   Call it the VCU or Butler syndrome but one of the greatest things about sports with a playoff is you actually have  a chance to compete for a real National Championship.  With the current BCS there is no chance for the vast majority of Division One.

The way Division One determines its champion is corrupt and always has been.  Championships should be won on the field not the voting booth!

What I find totally frustrating is the totally arbitrary way that teams get to the MNC every year even to the point of totally ignoring undefeated seasons and horrible losses... SEE Nebraska and Oklahoma in the past decade!!  A loss is a loss and a win is a win. It is simple as that. Stating that someone losing to Duke is any different than Bama losing to Auburn doesn't change that fact.  Sure Duke is a far weaker team than Auburn but they still show up as losses on the final tally.

A real playoff is the only real solution to such nonsense and every other level of football has one.

I suggest everyone read "DEATH TO THE BCS " to become more enlightened on the parasites that are keeping a real playoff out of Division One. They don't play or coach the game yet they keep the farce alive all because they enjoy ungodly holiday bonuses every year for simply staging one bowl game!! Outrageous!

Jim McVay who certainly sounds like a real "Nice" guy every year makes about 450K for just staging the Outback Bowl!   I think anyone could be real nice and fluffy with that kind of payout!     Please spare me how hard it is to stage this game every year.

With a real playoff the profits would go where they should go not just certain privileged individuals.   End of rant!

Oh and Samari please explain how Vanderbilt is any different than Duke?    Is it because the have SEC by their name?   BS!
« : April 05, 2011, 08:22:31 AM Runole »

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #41 : April 09, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »

Well I have to agree with runole's rant (checks to see if signs of apocalypse are appearing).

and as to your earlier statement "BCS means BS", well the BCS actually stands for Big Cash Slurpage.

It is all about the $$$$$$$. And it's crazy crazy money in amounts hard to believe.

An 8 team playoff would mean 7 games and 7 games is less $$$$ than 30 somethin bowl games.

And lil ole Boise just doesn't pullin the big money fans and TV viewers like a OSU-Texas-Bama-Ok-UF does. So don't expect an undefeated mid major to upset the apple cart any time soon

So we should call the BCS winner what it is, the Biggest Cash Source Champion.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #42 : May 01, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »

Damn those NFL front offices for perpetuating the myth of the SEC....

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2011/04/sec-remains-top-conference-in-nfl-draft.html

For many reasons, but two big ones in particular, the SEC is widely considered the best conference in college football. Winning the past five BCS National Championships is the first. The continued success in the NFL draft is the other.

For the fifth consecutive year, the SEC led all conferences in the number of players drafted. While it wasn’t quite the record of 49 picks in 2010, the conference remained ahead of the BCS conferences.

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton went first overall and the conference had five of the first six picks. It had 10 first rounders taken, three more than any other conference.

Overall, the SEC had 38 players selected. Here’s a look at the other BCS conference totals: ACC – 35; Pac-10 – 31; Big 12 – 30; Big Ten – 29; Big East – 22.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #43 : December 19, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls12/story/_/id/8761608/sec-postseason-dominance-goes-bcs-titles-college-football

RoddyBama1

Rookie

« #44 : December 21, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »

The out of conference game argument against the SEC is one of the dumbest I've heard. There is a lot of butt hurt around college football, but there is no legitimate argument against the SEC's dominance. With the realignments, both the ACC and Big East are pretty much irrelevant conferences. The B1G is pretty much a joke too save for OSU who got smart and brought in an SEC guy to get them competitive again.

Just the facts:

Teams from the SEC have posted 29 wins in the past five years against nonconference Top 25 teams (teams that were ranked at the time the game was played), an average of almost six wins per season. Nine of the 12 SEC teams have at least one win against a nonconference Top 25 team in the past five years with Georgia (6), LSU (6), Florida (4), Alabama (4) and Auburn (3) leading the way.
Since 2006, the SEC has posted a higher nonconference winning percentage (regular season and bowls) than any other conference at 231-55 (.808). The SEC has won no less than 43 nonconference games (regular season and bowls) during the past four seasons (2006-2010).

Also, since 2006, the SEC has accrued more bowl wins (30) and bowl appearances (46) than any other conference. The conference’s .652 bowl winning percentage is third behind the Mountain West (18-6, .750) and the Big East (20-8, .714).
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools