Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BucNY calls it...Greg Romeus is our man at RDE!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: January 25, 2011, 10:48:05 AM

A lot of stuff about this guy so I decided to look into him a bit more and here is what I think...

This guy is Mike Williams 2.0. Just like Mike, Greg has a ton of talent and was considered a very good prospect until he ran into other issues that would drastically drop his stock. For Mike it was off the field issue, speculation that he quit the team, and possible getting arrested for underage drinking. For Greg its injury. Big East Defensive POTY in 2009 until he ran into injuries. A back surgery followed by a torn ACL and a knee surgery kept him off the field for a vast majority of the 2010 season.

No one questioned mikes talent. Anyone who watched 2009 highlights will not question Greg's talent. He has a good burst with a nice instincts against both the pass and run game. He has long arms to fight off defenders, uses his leverage very well and can shed blockers adequately. At 6'5 270lbs he has the size to be a 4 down lineman (yes, prior I suggested that he would not be stout at the point of attack but surely after watching more tape he is initially much better than Gaines Adams ever was in college)

This guy is a 1st round talent and I believe one of the top 4 best 4-3 defensive ends. This guy is a steal in the 4th round and a great value in the 3rd. This is a guy who's status will depend greatly on what happens at the combine and his physical and could potentially get passed over by many teams who are in need because of his past injuries.

This is what this beast played like before he got hurt!

This is the only 2010 tape I can find.

From what i can gather he still had a decent game but certainly some rust to shake off.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 25, 2011, 11:14:05 AM

He was a huge favorite of mine in the 2010 draft as a prospect, but went back to school.

Had a tough year overall...   

IMO - a Rare RDE prospect - especially in this draft full of LDE's...  I'd consider this guy in the second if
we don't get ourselves a RDE in the 1st.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/469182-greg-romeus-pitts-star-defensive-end-lost-his-mother-this-past-sunday

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 25, 2011, 11:46:13 AM

I want to steal this guy late in the draft for nothing. I think the key determining factor for this guy is his combine. If he doesn't show real well, that coupled with his injuries may be enough to let him drop to us at DE in the 3rd.  I wouldn't complain about him in the 2nd .

- Everyone

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 25, 2011, 12:10:54 PM

Scouts assessment BEFORE the rough 2010 outing...

Pretty consistent, knows how to use his hands, reminds me of Simeon Rice.

6'5"
265 lbs

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Overall Football Traits

Production 1
2006: Redshirted.
2007: (12/0) 41 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 PBU, 1 FR.
2008: (13/13) 51 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 3 PBU,1 FF, 1 FR, 3 blocked kicks.
2009: (13/13) 43 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 INT, 5 PBU, 3 FF, 1 FR.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Possesses good length and well built frame with room to add bulk if necessary. Top-end speed is above-average as well.

Durability 1
Durability does not appear to an issue.

Intangibles 2
A mature individual that has been an accountable representative in terms of leadership for the program. People within the program refer to him as a pace-setter in multiple facets.

Defensive End Specific Traits
Pass Rush Skills 2
A power-to-speed rusher that possesses excellent length off the edge. Does a good job of anticipating snap count and first step quickness is good but not elite. Flashes an effective bull rush when staying low and getting underneath the OT's pads. Uses long arms well to keep blockers off of frame. Also uses hands well when executing push/pull moves and displays a quick inside swim move. However, still developing in terms of countering once initially caught by OTs. This was exposed during the 2009 Rutgers game against future first-round LT Anthony Davis. Closing burst is good and can get home when having a clear run at QB.

Versus the run 2
Extremely stout holding the edge. Plays with leverage and does a nice job of using long arms to stack and control blockers. Flashes ability to hold up against double teams. Shows adequate lateral movement to work down the line and make play from backside. Strong tackler in confined areas and flashes ability to deliver explosive hit.

Versatility 3
Has some experience dropping into coverage. Moves fairly well for his size but has some tightness in hips giving him limitations in space. Can be relied on to spot-drop off of a zone blitz package but not someone you want consistently put in this situation. Did not see him reduced inside to DT position during film study.

Instincts/Motor 3
Has good overall awareness and finds the ball quickly. Also shows good discipline to stay home against misdirection and reverses coming his way. Plays with a fairly consistent motor but can disappear at times throughout the course of games. Can sniff out screens and has awareness to go for strip when making tackle.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

oshjo75

Rookie

#4 : January 25, 2011, 12:15:34 PM

If he is there in the 4th, I'll take him.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 25, 2011, 04:08:05 PM

If he is there in the 4th, I'll take him.

This guy would be an absolute steal in the 4th round. I hope we're taking a serious look at him.

- Everyone

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 25, 2011, 04:31:19 PM

I really like Sheard but he has played primarily on the left side.  I think he projects more as a RDE in the pros but I know we have never had a lot of luck swapping players around.

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#7 : January 25, 2011, 04:39:29 PM

your kidding me right? Greg Hardy had more production and a better work ethic then this guy and he didnt go until the 6th round.

Romeus is a one trick pony, Gaines Adams 2.0. He tries a speed rush, when it doesn't work he quits on the play. Watch that entire Utah game over, it was pathetic. He was their whooping boy. I hope that if we draft him im wrong about him, but I don't want to touch him with a 12 foot pole

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 25, 2011, 11:45:24 PM

If round three comes around and he's still there I say we should snag him.
Cause he will fall due to injuries and stuff.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 26, 2011, 09:32:54 AM

your kidding me right? Greg Hardy had more production and a better work ethic then this guy and he didnt go until the 6th round.

Romeus is a one trick pony, Gaines Adams 2.0. He tries a speed rush, when it doesn't work he quits on the play. Watch that entire Utah game over, it was pathetic. He was their whooping boy. I hope that if we draft him im wrong about him, but I don't want to touch him with a 12 foot pole

I agree he didn't look to impressive against Utah. I summed that up to him coming off a back surgery, being a little tentative and also being rusty having not played in a while. I hope the highlight video of 2009 would be the guy that we draft.

To be honest your exact reason is why I think he'll fall into the 3rd or hopefully 4th round. Add an ACL tear to the injury list and I hope everyone is scared of him.

- Everyone

-ts

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 26, 2011, 09:52:56 AM

Greg Hardy fell because he was injured all the time and had character concerns.

I have also always heard he had crappy work ethic.

Most college DE's coming into the draft are one trick ponies. Simply because they were more athletic than the players they went up against so they never had to use any moves. You have to develop DE's in the NFL, you aren't going to get many that come developed.

In the 2nd round(would prefer 3rd/4th) he would be a solid pick, and the Gaines Adams crap is getting old. I would still prefer to add another DE in the first, if Kerrigan was available it would be a perfect scenario seeing as both can play either RE or LE.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 26, 2011, 10:03:51 AM

wasn't Hardy out of shape at the combine/senior bowl?  he had a bunch of red flags.  and he didn't really do much for Carolina either.  Unless 3 sacks/30 tackles is impressive.  Now passing on Dunlap was a mistake.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 26, 2011, 12:20:15 PM

Good pick in round 3 if we don't go DE in the first two rounds

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 26, 2011, 12:33:40 PM

Good pick in round 3 if we don't go DE in the first two rounds

Agreed.  I would even consider it if we do take DE in the first 1-2 rounds....we need alot of depth at DE.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 26, 2011, 06:26:55 PM

I like Romeus.  If he hadn't had back surgery he was on track to be a a 1st or 2nd round pick. Now he'll probably be a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th round selection. He could be a huge steal. The question is....what's up with the back? I don't know much about it, but the Bucs would need to do a but load of research into it. If it's something that should have no lasting effects I'd take him in the 3rd, but they have to be sure. Back injuries are no joke, especially with linemen. He might never be the same player.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BucNY calls it...Greg Romeus is our man at RDE!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools