Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BucNY calls it...Greg Romeus is our man at RDE!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 26, 2011, 08:05:49 PM

Good pick in round 3 if we don't go DE in the first two rounds

Agreed.  I would even consider it if we do take DE in the first 1-2 rounds....we need alot of depth at DE.

Let me correct myself.. I meant its a good pick if we don't go DE in both round 1 and round 2.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 31, 2011, 11:22:30 AM

I think we can all agree that we NEED a big time DE. What many of us cannot agree on here lately is which one will be there and which one we should pick. The only thing we absolutely need in the 1st round is to avoid drafting a bust.

Smith, Kerrigan and Bailey, as well as likely a few others, are likely to be on the board when we pick in march. If we are unsure about these guys it just underscores my point about Greg Romeus. We can handle a 3rd rounder on a guy who doesn't turn out to be anything but we cannot afford one in the 1st.

I'll go back briefly to another thread I had where I questioned the Gaines Adams pick being one of the reasons we didn't make the playoffs. Many would say and certainly i'm at the front of this pack that our defense was one good DE away from making the playoffs. Now I'm not restating this to say we should have picked someone different in that draft but rather to underscore how a busted 1st round pick can affect our team years down the road. Think about it now. Say we got a guy similar to a Justin Tuck in that draft, i don't say Peppers because people have pointed out to me that they come along very infrequently, we sure wouldn't be considering another 1st round DE. I think we would likely be targeting that LB or Olineman for sure.

So back to the point. Lets make sure we don't bust with our first. Guys with talent and potential will be there in the later rounds. Get the best guy and hopefully its at a spot of need and provides us with a point of strength for the next 6-8 years.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 31, 2011, 04:52:35 PM

I think if we learn anything from the Gaines Adams pick, it should be not to draft DEs that lack the strength and heavy hands to evolve into a great DE. These guys that do nothing but an outside speed rush and rack up the sacks because college QBs are stupid and keep dropping back instead of stepping up into the pocket.....are not good prospects.

When I watch a DE highlight reel and see him blasting by the OT so fast that he isn't even touched and sacking the QB 10 yards behind the line...it's a red flag to me. That just doesn't happen very often in the NFL. I want DEs that have shown they are physical, strong, and have the heavy hands to fight of blocks and go inside or outside. These one trick ponies that constantly beat lesser talented OTs with their outside speed rush just don't translate to the NFL.

This is why I loved the Mario Williams pick over Reggie Bush in 2006, and loved Brian Orakpo...but hated the Gaines Adams pick and laughed by ars off at the Giants for taking Jason Pierre-Paul last year in the first round.

This is also why I really like Kerrigan, Watt, and Jordan.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 31, 2011, 05:00:45 PM

Trade up for Kerrigan in the first (using a third)
Mason Foster in the second
Trade up using a fifth in the fourth to get Romeus

In Verner We Trust

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 02, 2011, 11:56:13 PM

tBPA.hought it was his knee......Sheard in the 1st and Romeus in the 3rd.......2nd pick the best LBER on the board.......4th G,5th TE ,6TH rb 7th BPA.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 03, 2011, 12:18:26 AM

11/15/10 - Pittsburgh defensive end Greg Romeus will miss the rest of his senior season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, the second major injury he has had this season. Romeus, the Big East Defensive Co-Player of the Year last season, was hurt while rushing the quarterback during Pitt's 30-28 loss to Connecticut on Thursday. Romeus returned for that game after being out since injuring his back Sept. 2 against Utah. Romeus will get multiple opinions before deciding whether he will have surgery for the second time this season. He needed an operation after hurting his back during Pitt's season opener. Before the season started, the 6-foot-6, 270-pound Romeus was projected to be an early-round NFL Draft choice. He did not have a sack in two games. - AP Sports http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76317&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

So multiple major injuries last year & rumored "bad work ethic" ... hmmm not a lot going for him right there.  I did notice he's a combine invite (ROMEUS, GREGORY   GREG   PITTSBURGH   8   DL45   DE)  Guess we'll see how healthy he is after the he gets picked apart during the medical exams.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 03, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

Serious knee and back injuries that require surgery in one year is pretty bad. He could overcome and be great, but I think it's too much risk to be worthy of a pick before the 3rd round. Same with Bruce Carter.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 03, 2011, 10:32:32 AM

Depends of what type of back surgery he had. Not worried about his knee, but the combine will be very telling for this guy. Either way I think you're right and with the injury history he will be around in the 3rd and likely in the 4th. I'd love to grab him in the 4th but i'm a little nervous about letting him stay out there that long.

If he is healthy and performs well at the combine, take him in 3rd.

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 01, 2011, 03:25:52 PM

Any word on this guy at the combine? He's not listed as a top performer in anything. Update?

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 01, 2011, 03:31:29 PM

2011 NFL Draft: Greg Romeus Could Be Buried Treasure for the Buccaneers
By Tom Edrington (Buccaneers Featured Columnist) on February 17, 2011 - Tampa 967
 reads
comments
Greg Romeus was a force for Pittsburgh in 2009, he was hurt in 2010.
Allow me to introduce Greg Romeus.

You won't find his name among the top-rated defensive ends for this upcoming NFL draft.

Had this mighty defensive star from the University of Pittsburgh's 2009 season come out after his junior year, he might have been one of the first five players taken last April.

Today, Romeus is an unknown entity.

Romeus is a man-beast. At 6-7, 285 pounds, he was impressive enough to be named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 2009.

He had all the tools. He had the quick feet of a basketball player, and he did play the game well. He had size, quickness, strength, agility.

Then he had some unfortunate things happen last year.

He underwent back surgery to repair a disc in his lower back after sitting out most of last fall and playing ineffectively in Pitt's opener.

When came back late in the season, he suffered a torn ACL in the second half of his team's loss to UConn in mid-November.  That was the end of the line for Romeus.

He's still in the rehabbing stage, which is the reason he's not on anyone's radar, seemingly.

Now with Mark Dominik's savvy, perhaps, just perhaps Romeus' name is written on a board somewhere inside of One Buccaneer Place. The Bucs were very high on Romeus last year and if he had come out, he might be a Buccaneer today.

He's not and there's no telling who will roll the dice on this talented guy.

It's a matter of where he might fall.

This is one of those instances where a team has to do its research and due diligence. That's something the Bucs were good at last year when they determined there was nothing wrong with Mike Williams.

They got a first-round talent in the fourth round.

Romeus is worth checking out.

If his rehab is going well and he gets overlooked, who knows?

He could be yet another "steal."

- Everyone

champkind

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 01, 2011, 03:35:58 PM

Any word on this guy at the combine? He's not listed as a top performer in anything. Update?

He didn't participate. Guess why. INJURED.

And as far as I can tell, this was not even the same injury that kept him out during the season, it was something new. The guy is made of glass apparently.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 01, 2011, 04:02:18 PM

LINK?

Good, lets hope he's under the radar

- Everyone
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BucNY calls it...Greg Romeus is our man at RDE!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools