Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 03, 2011, 09:17:57 AM

Do you think UF would be OK with FSU joining the SEC? Hell no!

I don't think it would matter - they play every year anyway.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

CTGuyton

Second String

#16 : February 03, 2011, 10:33:28 AM

Actually, FSU was asked to join in 92. They turned it down for the less competitive ACC.

"I'd rather be a live coward than a dead hero." - Bobby Bowden

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#17 : February 03, 2011, 11:42:41 AM

Actually, FSU was asked to join in 92. They turned it down for the less competitive ACC.

And went on to win 2 MNC's, and would have won more if he'd have been a bigger coward and not played Miami ... I'd say the live coward came out okay.

And the FSU to the SEC scenario today is nothing like the USF/UCF one. Both UF and FSU are at the same level, have been for quite a while. FSU joining the SEC wouldn't affect that. The directional Florida schools are still jockeying for position, in state and nationally, so why would one want something that would help the other in that regard? You can be clueless and toss out the "chicken" moniker but to not see that UCF joining does NOTHING for USF other than a possible extra 10-15K attendance jump in one game, every other year, is just plain stupid ...

Runole

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 04, 2011, 09:36:51 AM

Well that isn't quite a true statement. FSU always wanted to get in the SEC and Bowden always wanted to join however the way it went down was the SEC came in initially with a half arsed offer that in perception was treating FSU like a red headed step child rather than a respected member. Both FSU and Miami ruled CFB from the mid 80's through most of the 90's and certainly FSU was deserving  a better offer than the SEC initially proposed.

The ACC's offer was far more attractive than the one the SEC was putting forth. The SEC then by vote withdrew their offer to FSU so as not to lose face. Joe Dean came out and even stated outrageously that FSU was never seriously considered even though they were. 

It could have been a done deal had the SEC come forth with a serious offer. They didn't.  It actually got a bit hairy because on the first vote the ACC didn't accept FSU.   However,  a second vote was taken and FSU was accepted.

Contrary to the statement above UF actually was in favor of FSU joining the SEC at that time. At other times they were both hot and cold.

As to Bobby Bowden he has said many things in a most self deprecating style. that is just Bobby being Bobby.

Bowden also stated back in 1992 that it would be impossible for an SEC team to go undefeated in that conference.  Guess what?  Bowden was 100% wrong in that assertion.  Alabama Auburn Florida and Tennessee have all had perfect SEC records since 1992. Some more than once.

Bowden was known as the "Road Warrior", and FSU has never dropped a rival from its schedule or backed down or canceled games like both LSU Auburn and Bama did when FSU accepted the ACC's offer.

As to UCF being worthy?   Get serious!  They just won their conference and went on and beat Georgia in their bowl game.   

FSU has maintained their games with Miami and Florida throughout. They were leading the charge to get Miami membership in the ACC and insisted that they be on the regular play list every season.

They understand the importance of rivalries.    Cowards run from close rivals.  This continuous rhetoric attempting to diminish UCF as not being worthy is ridiculous and childish.  Getting UCF in the Big East would be an asset to both programs. USF vs UCF crowds were among the biggest for both programs.  Ending the series was ridiculous.  Time to leave the pettiness at the door and  put UCF on the annual schedule instead of hiding in the corner and playing Stony Brook and Wofford.

The Big East needs to get up to 12 teams and a championship game like the Pac 10/12 and Big 10/12.  As to the old Big 12 they need to move and add a couple of teams to their conference with the loss of Nebraska and Colorado. 

JMO but  UCF would be an excellent addition to the Big East  TCU though odd was a step in the right direction. Personally, I think they should go for USM,  East Carolina to get to 12. 

New BIg East

Southern Division   

UCF,  TCU,  USM,  USF,  Louisville,  and East Carolina

Northern Division

.Rutgers,  Cincinatti,  West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn   

That would cut down on travel costs and actually increase crowds for all members.   A big East Championship game would be an asset to the conference.

The Big East is constantly being diminished nationally in football.  Time to erase that perception.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 04, 2011, 10:20:56 AM

TCU was admitted as a member because they bring a BCS-caliber program to the conference.  UCF doesn't do that, nor do they bring money, television markets or prestige.  If you can't tell the difference between TCU and UCF, you may want to stop watching college football.

UCF were ranked 25, USF were unranked.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#20 : February 04, 2011, 11:25:46 AM

TCU was admitted as a member because they bring a BCS-caliber program to the conference.  UCF doesn't do that, nor do they bring money, television markets or prestige.  If you can't tell the difference between TCU and UCF, you may want to stop watching college football.

UCF were ranked 25, USF were unranked.

Yes, I admit being a homer but that ranking was a freaking joke. Nobody should be ranked without a win over a team with a winning record, especially one with an SOS ranked #109.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 04, 2011, 02:30:08 PM

In visiting other boards and comments from fans in Pitt, UConn ,Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers seem to  want UCF to be in the conference.

Would USF fans prefer Villanova to UCF being in the BIg East?    Just curious?

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 04, 2011, 02:54:53 PM

I'm completely baffled as to anyone who thinks USF is what's keeping UCF from coming it.  I need a UCF fan to pitch to me (if I was the Big East) what bringing UCF into the conference would do.  I don't even have a horse in this argument, but UCF makes NO sense for the Big East, again, outside of giving a rival to USF.  I can name about 10 teams I'd rather have if I was the Big East that would bring more to the table, whether through prestige, new TV market (TCU brings both), or money.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#23 : February 04, 2011, 03:30:53 PM

In visiting other boards and comments from fans in Pitt, UConn ,Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers seem to  want UCF to be in the conference.

Would USF fans prefer Villanova to UCF being in the BIg East?    Just curious?

Read back on this thread ... and I'm not really in Aman's corner about UCF not being a good fit, they may be.
: February 04, 2011, 03:33:40 PM Col. Klink

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 04, 2011, 03:41:25 PM

It's not that they wouldn't be a good fit once they're there, it's that they don't bring anything to the table, and other schools bring more.  Memphis would bring a new TV market and a strong bball team, Villanova brings a new TV market and is already in the conference so it wouldn't screw up the bball side, Temple adds a new market.  UCF really doesn't bring the new TV market as they already have some ground in Florida, and UCF doesn't even really command the Orlando market.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#25 : February 04, 2011, 03:48:44 PM

It's not that they wouldn't be a good fit once they're there, it's that they don't bring anything to the table, and other schools bring more.  Memphis would bring a new TV market and a strong bball team, Villanova brings a new TV market and is already in the conference so it wouldn't screw up the bball side, Temple adds a new market.  UCF really doesn't bring the new TV market as they already have some ground in Florida, and UCF doesn't even really command the Orlando market.

I would quick modify that to remove the Temple reference .... They already had their chance. ;)

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 04, 2011, 03:54:52 PM

They have been thrown out there as a possibility, as remote as it is.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 04, 2011, 05:13:11 PM

The fact of the matter is that USF would rather build a rivary with Miami, Florida, or FSU. They consider that a step forward for their program. USF looks at the UCF rivalry as a step backwards.

The Bulls have beaten FSU and Miami...so it's not like they can't compete with the big boys.

Don't forget about recruiting either. USF and UCF are in the same region (an hour drive?) and no doubt the Bulls use the BCS-conference as a selling point. If UCF is put in a BCS conference, both schools would be recruiting from the same pool of players potentially watering down both programs.

original

Pro Bowler

#28 : February 05, 2011, 05:57:48 PM

The fact of the matter is that USF would rather build a rivary with Miami, Florida, or FSU. They consider that a step forward for their program. USF looks at the UCF rivalry as a step backwards.

The Bulls have beaten FSU and Miami...so it's not like they can't compete with the big boys.

Don't forget about recruiting either. USF and UCF are in the same region (an hour drive?) and no doubt the Bulls use the BCS-conference as a selling point. If UCF is put in a BCS conference, both schools would be recruiting from the same pool of players potentially watering down both programs.

1.  As much as USF  wants to build a rivalry with U of F, Miami, or FSU, They don't want to with USF - Kind of the same looking down that USF does to UCF.  The reality is that those three have their rivalries and only do the games with the lower state school to help with money.  They don't need USF and Don't worry about USF even with the wins while their programs were down.  As much as USF doesn't want to admit it, its only chance for a Rivalry in Florida is UCF or one of the even lower schools. 

2.  Now for the recruiting thing, according to Rivals.com, UCF has had better recruiting classes the last two years while USF is in a AQ conference and UCF is not.   This year alone, 43rd best class in the country and that was before QB 4 star DeMarcus Smith Signed his letter on Friday.  I looked for USF on the same top 50 list and well, they were absent just like the Top 25 ranked teams AP and BCS at the end of the season.  I know, you'll argue they didn't beat a team with a winning record, I argue that the perception is that UCF had a better season then USF and most of the Big East and perception is where the big East needs help.

As much as USF doesn't want to admit it, they need UCF as much as the conference does.  Big east has a perception problem and just moving Villanova up will not change that.  TCU was a great grab and the only other team that was  ranked and won a bowl game against a AQ school who is wanting in very badly is UCF. 

I guess we will all know what the Big East is going to do by this April, I hope it has UCF in and both programs rise up to the level that UF, FSU, and Miam. and the conference gets more respect but I do understand the fear that USF has about being passed by by another program.   I still say the recruiting thing doesn't matter, we have already passed USF without the AQ status.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 05, 2011, 07:18:50 PM

USF has dominated UCF in nearly every sport though. Other than baseball which USF was not very good historically...the Bulls have dominated the Knights all over the place in men's and women's sports.

In football...
2005 - USF 31, UCF 14
2006 - USF 24, UCF 17
2007 - USF 64, UCF 12
2008 - USF 31, UCF 24 (OT)

The fact of the matter is, USF would not gain much by beating UCF a 5th time. But UCF would have TONS to gain by beating USF for the first time.
: February 05, 2011, 07:22:30 PM cyberdude558
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools