Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reliving the Division Playoff game with the San Francisco 49ers. « previous next »
Page: 1

westcoastbuc

Second String

: January 30, 2011, 09:14:56 AM

Since we are talking about the 3-disc set of the 2002 playoffs, lets talk about a game that gets overlooked, the dismantling of the San Francisco 49ers.  Now I live in Central California (Visalia) and we have a lot of 49er fans here (along with Raider Nation).  I was at a sports bar to see them come back on the N.Y.Giants and it was packed with Niner fans.  The local sports talk Radio in the week leading up to the game was saying that with the emotional win and the legacy that the Niners bring, Tampa was going to have a hard time winning this game.  I was kinda skeptical too, it seems that Niners always found a way to win important games.  This time our offense showed up big time.  Brad Johnson had a great game.  One guy on the radio here was comparing the QB's and he said that Garcia was much better than Brad Johnson, his quote was something like "Brad Johnson, now come on, its Brad Johnson"  Well didnt he lead the NFC in passer rating?!?!  By the middle of the 2nd Qtr I kinda knew they weren't coming back from this.  It was a Butt-Kicking from the start.  If you want to watch a game where there isnt any time that you get worried we'll lose its this one.  I remember my wife walking in after it was over and she had my first son in his stroller (he's 8 now) and came up to me and said you did it.  In a bar full of Niner fans and being the ONLY Bucs fan (I'm always the Only Bucs fan here in ca.) I was standing tall that day.  Little did I know two weeks later I'd be on top of the world.

WestCoastBuc~

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 30, 2011, 10:54:16 AM

I wasn't all that confident going into Philly and the Super Bowl concerned me a little but there was no doubt in my mind that the Bucs were going to annihilate the Niners.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 30, 2011, 12:42:33 PM

I agree with you two in that I thought the Bucs would have no problems winning that game against the Niners. I went with a couple of friends to a Hooters restaurant to watch the game and I was also the only Bucs fan there. I told the waitress when we sat down that I was probably going to get a little loud that day, so if I ever got to the point of disturbing anyone, please let me know ahead of time when I was getting close to being kicked out. Kept yelling "Fire The Cannons" after every score and counted out the cannon blasts too! LOL!
I knew with that defense, the offense finally coming around and Brad Johnson back and healthy, plus the game in Tampa, there was no way Bucs would get beat. I didn't know it was going to be the complete domination and massive butt-kicking that it turned into, but that was a great day to be a Bucs fan!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 30, 2011, 04:31:14 PM

What bothers me about that game, to this day, is that there are Giants fans (or New York media guys) who believe that the Giants would have beaten us had they beaten the Niners.
Well, we wouldn't have beaten them if we had made the 2000 NFC title game and they weren't gonna win this game either. Would it have been closer? Probably. But no one would have beaten us that day.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reliving the Division Playoff game with the San Francisco 49ers. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools