Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Belichick wins AP Coach of the year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 03, 2011, 01:08:43 AM

Nova says I whine too much why I cry conspiracy against the Bucs. IMHO this comes down to two things: 1. Definition of the award, which is very vague and ....
2. Who you pay attention to.
If writers see the Bucs as a team that won 10 games, but did it only because of wins over weak teams, then in their minds you're really only talking about an eight or nine-win team. The Pats beat Green Bay, beat the Jets, whupped the Pats. So they were a legit 14-win team. You look at their D and wonder how it happened. So I can see voting for Belichick.
Add to that the Bucs being pretty much ignored and Morris being considered a terrible coach last year and you get respect very slowly, not enough to get an award like this.
IMHO Morris should have won it, but if you slightly alter the definition you could give it to Smith, Reid, Haley.... so while I'm disappointed, who knows what the heck it means.

In Verner We Trust

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 03, 2011, 01:12:23 AM

agree Jersey.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 03, 2011, 01:17:45 AM

Dislike the decision, as I wouldn't have put Belichick in my top 3, but it's better than giving Polamalu the award over Matthews.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 03, 2011, 01:21:51 AM

Dislike the decision, as I wouldn't have put Belichick in my top 3, but it's better than giving Polamalu the award over Matthews.
Disagree.

Both were equally deserving.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 03, 2011, 01:54:47 AM

What it amounts to is Morris getting a pat on the back. But he's not getting any awards because people want more proof.

He DID only beat one team with a winning record. Yes the Bucs almost beat the Falcons twice, but the Bucs also almost lost the Redskins and really only won because they botched the PAT. The defense could not stop the Skins that day. Plus the Bucs also nearly lost in Arizona. So it does all balance out. They COULD have gotten to 12 wins, but they also could have only gotten 8.

And the Glazers don't seem so sure either. They only picked up the 2-year option. They didnt lock him up long-term. Which means he could technically be considered on the hot seat next year. Because the Glazers won't extend him if he has a bad 2011. I mean if he goes 6-10 next year, and attendance dips again, would you extend him? It'll be a very tough decision to make.
So they want to see if he can duplicate the success with a tougher schedule. If he does, they will pay the man. If he doesn't, they will find someone else. Because you never want to let your head coach go into the final year of his contract. It is a signal of instability. It turns off free agents and assistants start to worry about their future.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#35 : February 03, 2011, 08:49:56 AM

can't disagree with the selection. Raheem will win this award eventually. He would have solidified this with 1 more win and a ticket for the playoffs.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 03, 2011, 10:28:17 AM

Bull**CENSORED**!!!!!

Everyone and I mean everyone had us pegged for another, possible even worse year than last year. Morris overcame rookies all over the place and filled in rookie FA and late round picks for our injured starters. Belichick is a bettter coahc but Morris was clearly coach of the year.

Dumbasses

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 03, 2011, 10:42:15 AM

Bull**CENSORED**!!!!!

Everyone and I mean everyone had us pegged for another, possible even worse year than last year. Morris overcame rookies all over the place and filled in rookie FA and late round picks for our injured starters. Belichick is a bettter coahc but Morris was clearly coach of the year.

Dumbasses

You admit, Belichick was the better coach.  Then you complain that Morris lost to him in a contest deciding which coach is better?

smove28

Starter

#38 : February 03, 2011, 11:49:07 AM

Bull**CENSORED**!!!!!

Dumbasses

You admit, Belichick was the better coach.  Then you complain that Morris lost to him in a contest deciding which coach is better?

Belichick is a better coach true, but this is not a vote for the HOF. This is about who did a better job coaching this year and that is Raheem Morris.  Every argument for Belichick is mute

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 03, 2011, 12:01:36 PM

Bull**CENSORED**!!!!!

Dumbasses

Belichick is a better coach true, but this is not a vote for the HOF. This is about who did a better job coaching this year and that is Raheem Morris.  Every argument for Belichick is mute

You think a guy who used two undrafted running backs, an undrafted receiver, a 31-year-old washout receiver, and two rookie tight ends to the #1 offensive ranking and the best record in the NFL --  despite a defense that couldn't stop anybody -- is undeserving?

Raheem was awesome this year.  He did insane things with a plethora of young talent.  Like I said, if the Patriots made the wildcard, or won a few questionable games, then yeah; it's Raheem's.  But New England was destroying teams near season's end.

smove28

Starter

#40 : February 03, 2011, 01:16:25 PM

Bull**CENSORED**!!!!!

Dumbasses

You think a guy who used two undrafted running backs, an undrafted receiver, a 31-year-old washout receiver, and two rookie tight ends to the #1 offensive ranking and the best record in the NFL --  despite a defense that couldn't stop anybody -- is undeserving?

Raheem was awesome this year.  He did insane things with a plethora of young talent.  Like I said, if the Patriots made the wildcard, or won a few questionable games, then yeah; it's Raheem's.  But New England was destroying teams near season's end.

You would also figure that the first coach to not only finish over 500 but finish 10-6 when starting 10 rookies without a first ballot HOF QB and an offensive line that included at starter that did not even make the team in NE did a little better job this year. And I emphasize this year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 03, 2011, 02:59:10 PM

The voters who paid attention to actual football gave Raheem some votes. If you live outside the Tampa Bay area, you have to hunt and make an effort to find news on the Bucs. Belichick on the other hand grabs the headlines win or lose all over the country.

That said, Belichick did accomplish a lot this year. His team was the #1 seed. And although he has Brady, the rest of the team was make-shift for the most part.

And yes Belichick also beat some dang good teams. The Pats STOMPED the Jets and Steelers in the regular season. Morris only beat 1 team with a winning record.

You forgot to mention how the Pats were STOMPED by the lowly Cleveland Browns.  And then he went one-and-done to the Jets, who also STOMPED them in the regular season.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Belichick wins AP Coach of the year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools