Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interview with Bowers ... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« : May 19, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »

Steve Wyche, NFL.com
What's going on Party People? It's that time and I am JACKED! Just got done doing a project with the Falcons that will air on Atlantafalcons.com in a few days, so be sure to check that out. I also hope you all log into NFL.com and Check out NFL.Newtork's Total Access tonight. I have an exclusive interview with Tampa Bay rookie defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, who's been keeping a lot profile since slipping out of the first round and getting drafted in the second. Big things are going on here at NFL.com. We appreciate you sticking with us through this lockout and you'll be rewarded with some of the best info and insight in the business. Now, let's get to the good stuff.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : May 19, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »

Nice, cant wait to see that. 

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 19, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »

Awesome. Look forward to it   :)

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 19, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fe874a/article/bowers-slide-was-heartbreaking-de-eager-to-show-hes-ready

Bowers: Slide was 'heartbreaking'; DE eager to show he's ready

By Steve Wyche NFL.com
Senior Writer
Published: May 19, 2011 at 01:13 p.m. Updated: May 19, 2011 at 02:20 p.m.
Liked: 1   |   Comments: 8
Email Print
Read Discuss
You can certainly understand why Da'Quan Bowers has kept a low profile. The Clemson defensive end was this year's big draft faller, a kid who just a few months ago was considered the possible No. 1 overall pick only to plummet to the second round, where Tampa Bay chose him 51st overall.

Bowers has emerged and, in an exclusive interview with NFL.com and NFL Network, said he's better for an experience that showed him how fragile life can be but how quickly things can improve.

While, in his words, the slide was "heartbreaking," he sees landing with Tampa Bay, a team that considered taking him in the first round, as a blessing. Coincidentally, it's also the team that drafted his dear friend and idol from Clemson, the late defensive end Gaines Adams.

Bucs optimistic about Bowers
Bucs GM Mark Dominik wouldn't project how many games or years Da'Quan Bowers will play, but he provided an interesting take on the defensive end, says Steve Wyche. More ...

» Agent: Concern about knee overblown
» Watch: Evaluating Bucs' draft
"It's just overwhelming to be drafted by the same team that drafted him," Bowers said. "It's a sign from God."

Bowers said that he is beyond motivated to show that he is healthy and to prove to the teams that passed on him that they made a mistake. Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik told me that the snub clearly has made Bowers hungrier, and coupled with his love of the sport, Bowers' intangibles could make him an even better player than anyone expects.

Bowers looks much more lean and fit these days than he did at the NFL Scouting Combine. At 280 pounds he's at an optimum weight for a left defensive end, the position Dominik said he'll play in the Bucs' 4-3 defense. He's able to run, cut, jump and fully train now because the infamous knee that caused him to be pulled off several teams' draft boards is healing. Bowers would not say that he's fully recovered, but that he's "ahead of schedule" and would be ready for training camp.

Based on conversations with one general manager before the draft, Bowers' size -- he played around 280 in college -- is a reason why some teams were scared off during the draft process. Although there doesn't appear anything wrong with his knee to hold him back in the short term, his practice time and other physical drills might have to be strictly managed to minimize wear and tear.

Bowers isn't worried about playing it safe.

"I'm not concerned at all," he said of his knee possibly failing him. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen."

It might not happen, though. That's the unknown. Tampa Bay is banking on having Bowers around for awhile to help shape a potentially dominant defensive line with first-round pick defensive end Adrian Clayborn, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (last season's No. 3 overall pick) and defensive tackle Brian Price (a second-round choice last season).

NFC South draft grades
The Bucs got first-round talents in Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers. Though concerns surround both players, they're part of an impressive class, says Bucky Brooks. More ...
Bowers said he's eager to jell with his teammates, which is hindered because of the lockout. The defensive linemen do speak frequently on the phone, Bowers said.

A few other notes disclosed by Bowers:

» He didn't know that his knee injury was problematic until he realized he couldn't participate at the combine. A red flag went off in his mind, as it did with several teams.

» Bowers' agent, Joe Flanagan, told him the day before the draft that based on conversations with several teams, there was the chance that he might not get drafted in the first round. Even so, Bowers didn't think it actually would happen.

» Bowers didn't know the extent of his knee procedure until repeatedly hearing some of the reports about the surgery. He thought he was simply having a minor scope and even though doctors told him they had to do additional work -- there was a minor micro-fracture procedure -- Bowers didn't know how serious it was.

» McCoy has called several defensive players to have their own workouts and Bowers would consider it. However, based on his rehab and the fact he's not under contract, it's unlikely he would participate in any physical activity.

» Bowers is training at Clemson with fellow draft picks Jarvis Jenkins and Marcus Gilchrist as well as NFL players like Bills RB C.J. Spiller, who also played collegiately at Clemson.

Follow Steve Wyche on Twitter @wyche89.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 19, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »

but...but....JBF couldnt get an interview!!! conspiracy!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

« #5 : May 19, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »

Here is Bowers video of the interview.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81fe982d/Bowers-on-the-mend

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #6 : May 19, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

The "minor" Microfracture part of his surgery is definitely what made him drop. If it was just minor and he comes back 100% as Dom and the Bucs expect then we stole a top 5 pick and possibly the next great LDE.

smove28

Starter

« #7 : May 19, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »

Here is Bowers video of the interview.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81fe982d/Bowers-on-the-mend

I watched the video and this kid has this look like he is ready to play right now, I feel kinda "giddy" Go BUCS!!

chrisras

Starter

« #8 : May 20, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »

Bowers knocked that interview out of the park!

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 20, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »

Ya I cant wait to see that new Dline play. They stay healthy then wow. Thats all I gotta say.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 20, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »

Million $ question is when or if camp will open. This lockout crap is pissing me off.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 20, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »

The Bucs struck gold.

chrisras

Starter

« #12 : May 20, 2011, 07:09:35 AM »

I feel sorry for DQ. He lost a ton of money. I wonder what the financial impact of being a top 5 pick to sliding to the 2nd round has.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : May 20, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »

I gotta admit, when I watched the interview on NFL network....I got kinda pumped. I was cursing the lockout at like 2 AM last night.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 20, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

Talkin’ Clemson Tradition, Recruiting and Da’Quan Bowers with Dabo Swinney
By Adam Kramer   May. 20, 2011
Source:  http://tinyurl.com/6fgje4s

After talking with Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen yesterday, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney was next to pull up a chair with 3 Guys in a Garage to take a little college football in the heart of the offseason.

Coach Swinney has been with the Tigers since 2003, but in 2008 he took over the head coaching position following Tommy Bowden’s resignation. In that time, Clemson had gone 19-15 overall, although things are looking up thanks to a monster recruiting class that will hit the field in 2011.

Dabo touched on this class, (which Rivals ranked 8th overall), and a little about his recruiting goals in general. Coach Swinney also explained what changes he incorporated to the program once he took over in 2008 and talked quite about Da’Quan Bowers’ tumble in the NFL Draft last month.

“It’s unfortunate how it all happened and I think there was some misinformation out there. And next thing you know people start with the ‘they must know something we don’t know’ and he slid down a little bit,” said Swinney. “We feel like he’s a top five player in the country and I think Tampa got a great steal there. Over the new couple years there’s going to be a lot of teams that will have to explain why they passed on Da’Quan Bowers.”
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interview with Bowers ... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools