Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I might have been wrong! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 14, 2011, 10:23:55 PM

Glad you laughed instead of getting pissed. I was laughing out loud when I typed it.  :P

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#31 : July 14, 2011, 11:03:24 PM

Grimm is a beast. Download last years season, wins and losses. Grimm showed up in every game he was in. Instinctive, hits like a truck, learns from his mistakes, and extremely coachable. His impact was noticed especially after he got hurt when everyone could tell the DB unit  lost a step. 1 Season does not a career make, this argument should be revisited in 2 more years. Based off last year Cody Grimm was a steal in the 7th round, if he can mirror his performance and stay healthy for all 16 games for '11 then I would say he is/will be a better pick FOR US then Berry would have been.
LOL. That's basically what I already stated. And I watched all the games, he won't ever be the player Berry will be. Enough said.

Don't quote one sentence of what I said and make the statement that we are in agreement. Eric Berry was better then Cody Grimm last year by virtue of completing the season, not by much else. Eric Berry cost 60 mill over 6 years, Grimm signed a four-year contract with the Buccaneers worth $1.85 million, he scored a 36 on the Wonderlic; the average score for a safety is 19... He was on pace for 82 Tackles, 3 Int, 1 FF 1 TD. Very comparable Eric Berry's 92 Tackles 4 INTs, 1FF 1TD 2SACs. Now I'll ask simply put do you think Eric Berry 60 million dollars is worth 10 more tackles and 1 more interception and 2SACS? Cody Grimm may not have any SACs but how often will a Tampa Safety be coming off the edge in the defensive schemes we run Vs what KC ran last year (3-4)? Like never... I wouldn't compare either Cody, or Eric to Woodson, or Reed just yet. If I HAD to make a comparison on Cody Grimm, I would compare him to Bob Sanders. A safety that can get in the box in a 4-3/Cover 2 or Tampa 2, and stuff the run. One that is instinctive enough to digest the play in front of him and pull out the box when needed, and has the ball skills to come up with the interception. John Lynch would make a better comparison for Cody Grimm then Ed Reed or Rod Woodson. John Lynch played in a 4-3/Cover-2

I just wanted to add that Cody Grimm played OLB his last year in college. Came in and did a stellar job at Safety. I guess the Wonderlic isn't for nothing.
: July 14, 2011, 11:09:24 PM Zsnore

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 14, 2011, 11:22:13 PM

I like how everything turned out for our team. Last year I wanted us to take Berry. Glad we didn't. Glad we have McCoy, Price, Bowers, Clayborn and along with Grimm at the safety position.

Berry ended his rookie season in Honolulu.  McCoy ended his on IR.

So? Derek Anderson wen to the Pro Bowl once.

Berry is a good player, but he didn't really outperform Grimm who was drafted around 200 picks later.

Berry- 4 ints, 1 td, 1 ff, 72 tackles (16 games)
Grimm- 2 ints, 1 td, 1 ff, 52 tackles (11 games played/9 starting).

Either Berry underperformed or Grimm was ...pretty good!  :D

Let's look at the top DB numbers (statistically) in the league last season. Since I like good coverage, quickness and sure hands, I'll go with Ed Reed. (We can argue whom is "best" all day. And yes, I know he's old and "Revis is the best", yahda-yahda lol)

8 ints, 2 ff, 1 fumble picked up, 16 pass deflects, (10 games).

Yup, looks pretty good for Grimm. If he's half the player (statistically speaking) right now as Reed is, then that is a very good thing. Berry isn't a chump or anything, he can ball, but as far as all around "value" goes, Grimm beats him out a hundred fold. In a trade between teams, berry's value would go down drastically, whereas Grimms would shoot up the trade chart from where he initially started. Not saying Berry sucks, or even that Grimm is better, just that the value of those two picks (so far) is in TB's favor.

Edit: oh btw, here are some interesting stats I found while surfing today. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

Check out Biggers...
: July 14, 2011, 11:24:11 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#33 : July 15, 2011, 12:03:37 AM

I don't understand why people act like Berry is a HoF, once in a lifetime safety. I think he is a good player, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he is that good yet. Sorry, but McCoy was a great prospect at a huge position of need. It was a no brainer for the Bucs to take McCoy. He didn't dominate his rookie year, but either did Sapp. McCoy came on strong late and showed a lot of potential to be a force. I don't think he'll ever be a Sapp, or even a Suh, but you don't need an amazing DT like that to win. We've had nothing but trash at DT since Sapp left, so if McCoy turns out to be a top 10 DT, I'll be very happy. It is a tough position to play and tough to gauge, because sacks don't tell the whole story of a DT. Heck, most DT sacks are coverage sacks or caused by DEs forcing QBs up into the pocket since it is pretty hard to come right up the middle when the QB can clearly see you coming.

Berry is going to be a good player, but you don't draft a safety #3 overall, especially when you don't even need one. Good DTs are hard to find, and I'd rather have McCoy and our current safeties than Berry and trash at DT.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 15, 2011, 01:20:00 AM

just saying Berry wouldn't have been a wasted pick which was being implied.

I think you inferred that, because it wasn't implied.

I never said Berry would of been a wasted pick. I actually think Berry is going to end up being one of the top safeties in this league for his time around. I was simply saying I wanted us to take Berry but I am glad the way things turned out. I can't see any scenario with us taking Berry where they turn out better. That wasn't a knock on Berry at all.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 15, 2011, 07:12:21 AM

HEY!   Let's get back on topic about Jdub being wrong!   :)  lol...   

a.  might have been wrong
b.  was wrong
c.  most likely wrong.

Only one choice is permitted

(I keed dubs)

c.
Brandon Graham played in a divsion that is still considered 'bootleg' by most scouts. the Big Ten just gets no love for good reason these days.
some of the best players in the league come from the Big Ten and Michigan in particular.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 15, 2011, 07:15:38 AM

Rod Woodson? You're joke right? Grimm is a smaller version of John Lynch. Great run stopping ability but will never be a stud in coverage. I'm happy we got Grimm in 7th but lets not act like we got the better player. Better value for OUR team? Yes but that doesn't make him better than Berry. Who is already a top 10 safety in the league.

I'm not joking. Rod Woodson was not the athlete that Ed Reed was at any point in his career. Rod was a hard hitting, instinctive safety. He made plays when he could and he used discipline and knowledge in diagnosing plays on the field. He wasn't a ball hawk or a player capable of making out of this world plays on the ball, but he was great in his own right, IMO. That's how I see Grimm if people are going to compare Berry to Reed. Neither youngster may be as good as what we compare them to, but each has traits of those that we project them into.
Rod Woodson was a superb athlete with 4.3 speed and one of the best CBs of his era.  A HOFer.  Quit being a homer.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I might have been wrong! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools