Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: NFL players tentatively agree to vote « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 23, 2011, 06:07:55 PM

Wait, so let me get this straight................the lockout was supposed to be over this past Friday.....now it's going to be NEXT Friday? And free agent negotiations start NEXT Saturday? Greedy, lazy ass bastards can't just get it done now or even in the next couple days?

I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I understand, as long as the union re-certifies by Tuesday, FA (along with the opening of facilities) will start Wednesday.
Yea NFLN is saying Wednesday as start of the league year but I thought teams were going to have a 3 day window to sign their own FAs. Maybe that all went out the window.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 23, 2011, 06:13:27 PM

Wait, so let me get this straight................the lockout was supposed to be over this past Friday.....now it's going to be NEXT Friday? And free agent negotiations start NEXT Saturday? Greedy, lazy ass bastards can't just get it done now or even in the next couple days?

I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I understand, as long as the union re-certifies by Tuesday, FA (along with the opening of facilities) will start Wednesday.

Part of the CBA says that teams have to have 15 days IN CAMP before their 1st preseason game (this year).
So some teams will report Wednesday, some Friday.

Looking at the schedule-- Seattle/SanDiego & TampaBay/Kansas City have to report WEDNESDAY so they'll get 15 days in before August 12th..... <---(that was ME talking, wait for official word)

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 23, 2011, 06:26:44 PM

AdamSchefter Welcome back, football.
16 minutes ago

Booker

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 23, 2011, 06:39:00 PM

I hope we don't get three days to sign our guys. Higher chance for them to go elsewhere.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 23, 2011, 06:48:41 PM

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports NFLPA* chief DeMaurice Smith and commissioner Roger Goodell "have worked directly to assure" that nothing else goes "off path" in the CBA negotiations, and that a press conference announcing the players' ratification of the agreement can be expected on Monday.
Mortensen also reports that in this scenario teams could begin negotiating with free agents on Wednesday, but not sign them until next Saturday. It's easy to be skeptical and expect another setback, but this sure sounds like the end of this nearly five-month odyssey.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter Jul 23, 6:24 PM

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 23, 2011, 06:49:44 PM

Now Mortensen is saying that FA negotiations will start Wednesday but teams cannot actually sign anyone until Saturday.

So the definite answer is that no one knows what they are talking about.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 23, 2011, 06:53:06 PM

I'm firmly convinced that nothing has changed since Thursday and the fact that both sides were unprepared for the whole solution and re certification process is the reason it has taken the weekend.

There certainly is some evidence that this is the case. Almost a "now what do we do" type of situation.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 23, 2011, 06:56:11 PM

I'm firmly convinced that nothing has changed since Thursday and the fact that both sides were unprepared for the whole solution and re certification process is the reason it has taken the weekend.

There certainly is some evidence that this is the case. Almost a "now what do we do" type of situation.

The way they are justifying it is by stating that they want to re-certify on their own terms and in a formal way.
Basically, they want to apparently put on a song and dance show when all they really have to do is have a conference call or e-mail votes in. It seems kind of childish but they believe if they don't do it that way, the NFL will stab them in the back somehow.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 23, 2011, 07:09:18 PM

Its not as simple as taking a vote. There are several steps.
-The antitrust case has to be settled.
-The NFLPA Executive committee has to approve the deal.
-At least half the player reps have to approve.
-Then 52% of the players have to approve.
-The NFLPA has to recertify. The NFL says that can be done fast. The NFLPA says it is a long process.
-Then a federal judge has to OK the deal and assure all laws were followed.

So unless the players give a tentative approval, and the owners trust that the union will follow through, this could still go on for a week or more even after everyone agrees.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 23, 2011, 07:45:34 PM

-The NFLPA has to recertify. The NFL says that can be done fast. The NFLPA says it is a long process.

So unless the players give a tentative approval, and the owners trust that the union will follow through, this could still go on for a week or more even after everyone agrees.

You're like Mike Florio minus the optimistic posts.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 23, 2011, 09:27:48 PM

You're like Mike Florio minus the optimistic posts.

Thats pretty funny..

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#26 : July 23, 2011, 09:47:26 PM

I realize this goes against all sky is falling predictions however a transition period has apparently been agreed upon to take care of all this stuff. Nobody is going to give up a couple of hundred mil.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 23, 2011, 10:19:35 PM

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports NFLPA* chief DeMaurice Smith and commissioner Roger Goodell "have worked directly to assure" that nothing else goes "off path" in the CBA negotiations, and that a press conference announcing the players' ratification of the agreement can be expected on Monday.

Finally! ...I told you guys.

All that needed to happen was for someone to spoon Smith. ..Maybe Goodell found the legendary, but secretive 4th hole?  ;)

Pffft... I wonder what It would be like if negotiations of the bedroom kind were like the NFL CBA negotiations.

Let's see.. 4 months fighting and no nookie...She wants more than her fair share of everything.... and on top of it all, there is this Smith guy telling you you're doing it all wrong.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

gillen033

Starter

#28 : July 23, 2011, 10:23:35 PM

I don't really see why some teams are going to come in on Wednesday and others on Friday. Why not just have everyone come in on Wednesday to get this whole thing moving. The faster they can re-certify, the faster they can start signing players. Who cares if some teams get two more days of training camp before their first pre-season game, it's not like they matter. Every team will have the same number of pre-season days.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 23, 2011, 10:37:41 PM

Guys.  Just so you know.  The area around the Sunshine Bridge has been completely cordoned off in case NFL fans get tired of the lockout crap and decide to end it all.  Its Hate we're worried about the most.  lol

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: NFL players tentatively agree to vote « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools