Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush Clone Rick Perry announced he's running for President « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #15 : August 16, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »

This kid has been watching Rick Perry.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44157690#44157690

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : August 16, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »

The Texas Unmiracle
By PAUL KRUGMAN

Stopped reading right there.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #17 : August 16, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »

I don't even like Perry too much, but it's comical to see people try to bash him on job creation.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #18 : August 16, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

I don't even like Perry too much, but it's comical to see people try to bash him on job creation.

Why?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #19 : August 16, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »

Why?

How many states have added more jobs over the last couple years?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #20 : August 16, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »

North Dakota.  I say that hot congresswoman should run.  I'd vote for her.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #21 : August 16, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

Why?

Quote from: Paul Krugman
So where does the notion of a Texas miracle come from? Mainly from widespread misunderstanding of the economic effects of population growth.

For this much is true about Texas: It has, for many decades, had much faster population growth than the rest of America — about twice as fast since 1990. Several factors underlie this rapid population growth: a high birth rate, immigration from Mexico, and inward migration of Americans from other states, who are attracted to Texas by its warm weather and low cost of living, low housing costs in particular.

And just to be clear, there’s nothing wrong with a low cost of living. In particular, there’s a good case to be made that zoning policies in many states unnecessarily restrict the supply of housing, and that this is one area where Texas does in fact do something right.

But what does population growth have to do with job growth? Well, the high rate of population growth translates into above-average job growth through a couple of channels. Many of the people moving to Texas — retirees in search of warm winters, middle-class Mexicans in search of a safer life — bring purchasing power that leads to greater local employment. At the same time, the rapid growth in the Texas work force keeps wages low — almost 10 percent of Texan workers earn the minimum wage or less, well above the national average — and these low wages give corporations an incentive to move production to the Lone Star State.

So Texas tends, in good years and bad, to have higher job growth than the rest of America. But it needs lots of new jobs just to keep up with its rising population — and as those unemployment comparisons show, recent employment growth has fallen well short of what’s needed.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #22 : August 16, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »

Is there an answer to the question somewhere in there?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #23 : August 16, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »

The Texas Unmiracle
By PAUL KRUGMAN

Closed mind? Can't decipher much - unless it's fed to you by FOX News?

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #24 : August 16, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

The Texas Unmiracle
By PAUL KRUGMAN

Closed mind? Can't decipher much - unless it's fed to you by FOX News?

For 2 reasons.

1. This is the guy who says the stimulus failed because it was too small and we need another one that is twice as big. Nobel Prize or not, that strikes me as extraordinarily dumb.

2. This guy makes partisanship look hospitable.

The moment he opens his mouth I know he is talking crap that' why.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #25 : August 16, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »

Is there an answer to the question somewhere in there?

Yeah. Read closely. The answer is that the job growth had little to do with him and mostly to do with rapid population growth. Simply looking at the number of jobs ignores the fact that this job creation was not enough to keep up with growth. 25 states have a lower unemployment rate than Texas despite Texas having had more jobs created than any other state. Plus, the living conditions there are among the poorest in the U.S., and the Texas state budget is a complete mess.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #26 : August 16, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »

Why?

Texas having had more jobs created than any other state.

Excellent.  You finally answered the question.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #27 : August 16, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »

I find it comical that anybody tries to bash the University of Phoenix. They graduated more students this year than any other university.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #28 : August 16, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #29 : August 16, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »

Yet they're 26th in overall employment %, while New York and Pennsylvania are 23rd and 18th, respectively.

Bottom line, when your population as a state grows, so does the number of jobs in the state. More population means more consumers, which means more hiring to meet the needs of the new consumers. There was no magic wand that Perry waved to make this happen. He is the benefactor of circumstance, and it's only a beneficial circumstance if you focus solely on the number and completely ignore all of the circumstances surrounding it.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush Clone Rick Perry announced he's running for President « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools