Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 38

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: September 16, 2011, 08:37:21 PM

It's early, I know, but I want us to get a solid 3rd down back that has great explosion and toughness, who can catch and run. I've pretty much given up on the idea of us getting Chad Spann, so my new man crush is Doug Martin. Actually I had hoped he would come out in this last draft and liked him more than Spann, so it's actually an old man crush. Anyways, he's playing right now and looks very good as usual. On ESPN now.

Here is a clip of his game last week. I'll be updating this thread all year with clips and updates on Mr. Martin.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#1 : September 16, 2011, 09:31:45 PM

Wouldn't solve our need for an explosive, home-run threat back. Blount looks like he's running through mud so far in the carries he's been given though, so he might look like a track star next to him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 16, 2011, 09:57:52 PM

I don't know, he seems pretty explosive to me. He just chooses to bang heads often rather than run away from people. I like that he can do both.

Other RBs I like right now are Montee Ball, Isaiah Pead, and David Wilson.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 17, 2011, 09:11:59 AM

Wasn't that impressive last night.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 17, 2011, 09:17:34 AM

Musta been watching different games.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 17, 2011, 09:25:36 AM

Musta been watching different games.

I guess so.  I'm sure your stance will be that the stats are lying and your perception is again the truth, but 19 carries for 70 yards (3.7 YPC) isn't a good day.  Especially considering the opponent was friggin' Toledo.

And that brings Martin's yearly numbers to 127 yards on 43 attempts, a robust 3.0 YPC.  I like Martin, but that's pathetic.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 17, 2011, 09:44:54 AM

Good luck picking a winning HB from college stats alone. College stats are almost always misleading. Half the players on the field at any given time are not even good enough to play arena league.

I look specifically at the player and how they do in different situations. For example Martin got the ball tossed to him on one play last night on a horrible option play where he was 8 yards behind the line and getting drilled as he was taking the pitch. It was a no win situation for Martin, and stat wise it was a 10 yard loss and brings down his YPC. It was a horrible call because Kellen Moore has the mobility of a goal post and nobody believes he is running. Nobody was fooled and they teed off on Martin. I saw it as a positive because he was able to take possession and keep the ball while most guys would have fumbled.

You say Toledo like they are a joke, but they play the run well and almost beat Ohio State last week. Martin had no where to run last night. He put his head down and grinded out 3 yard runs all night and picked up important first downs that allowed drives to continue. It can't always be flashy....although his 70 yard TD reception that jump started Boises' struggling offense was kinda flashy.

I look at his vision, his ability to cut, start/stop, change direction, stiff arm, top speed, pass block, catch and how he handles one on one match ups. He doesn't have a great YPC average so far this season, but much of that is due to poor play calling and blocking. He still has 147 yards receiving and a TD from 8 catches and if you watch the games it is easy to see how important he is to the Boise offense. Perfect 3rd down back for us.
: September 17, 2011, 09:47:45 AM JDouble

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM

I watched. I say a solid 4th round RB.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 17, 2011, 12:16:53 PM

We need a quick back who can catch out of the backfield and pass protect.

grotesktruth

Starter

#9 : September 17, 2011, 12:25:32 PM

not sure how fast he is, (compared to AP or CJ) but one thing's for sure: that kid knows how to get first downs.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 17, 2011, 01:30:14 PM

andre ellington, clemson.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 17, 2011, 03:57:59 PM

I watched. I say a solid 4th round RB.

I'd agree. 3rd or 4th right now. I'm just hoping he stays there. Another season like last year would put him in the 2nd round.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 17, 2011, 04:41:43 PM

Yeah Toledo also held OSU to 3.3 ypc so they have a solid run defense despite the fact that they're Toledo.

Martin has struggled so far this season, but I really like the guy. I've watched a good amount of Boise State over the years and I've been very impressed with him. It's important to remember that Peterson always plays to his team's strengths. This season Moore is the best college QB in the nation imo(Luck is obviously still the top pro prospect), so Martin will take a backseat to the passing game.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 07, 2011, 05:26:09 PM

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 07, 2011, 05:41:43 PM

There are about 4 guys I rather have but he is good in the 4th.

2nd round guys I liken - James, Wilson, Polk, Miller
Page: 1 2 3 ... 38
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools