Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Preston Parker be the #2 reciever? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#30 : September 21, 2011, 01:43:19 PM

One of the reason Benn and Williams are outside guys is their blocking ability and as bigger receivers should be able to get off the line vs. press coverage. Parker being a smaller receiver may struggle getting off the line as an outside receiver and may not be the blocker needed outside....particularly in Benn's case.

However.....the overreaction to one game is pretty idiotic.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#31 : September 21, 2011, 02:01:48 PM

I think he'd be the best compliment on our team to Mike. Rejus, Briscoe and Mike are big, physical receivers that aren't going to beat you with their speed. Parker brings the speed aspect to a team that definitely needs it. So we're going to need him out there alot regardless of him starting.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#32 : September 21, 2011, 02:48:07 PM

I like him where he is, slot guy, #3 or #4 onto the field. Where he is works, well, why not keep him there? The third down back idea was an interesting one...

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

zeke23

Rookie

#33 : September 21, 2011, 03:23:28 PM

has Benn really done anything to earn it?

He was a very high draft pick.   But that's the only reason to start the guy.   He's done little.

You do realize that over the same period of time these guys have been Bucs, Parker has done less.

But, you'd rather him be the starter? Can't fint figure that one out.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 21, 2011, 03:41:24 PM

How about Freeman just hits the open guys. I like the idea of having them all play because they all make plays. Our WR position isnt much to worry about. Parker does bring a sense of speed to the offense. I know Benn can too but hes playing the other position thats more about blocking and possession type routes.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 21, 2011, 03:53:02 PM

Absolutely he should.

Yep. Cause one week of looking good means you should bench your starter and start the new guy. In fact, we should switch around the WR depth chart every week and start whoever had the best stats from the prior week. Right? So actually....Mike Williams should be benched for Benn and Parker. Right? GTFO Some of you yahoos post any idea the pops into your head without stopping to think about it first. There is no filter. Just forum diarrhea.

He had one good game playing SLOT. relax.

By the way, the guy ran a 4.65 and 4.59.....he is do faster than Mike Will or Benn.
: September 21, 2011, 03:55:16 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

zeke23

Rookie

#36 : September 21, 2011, 03:53:36 PM

And Parker does bring "quickness" to the position. Speed...not so much. He's not gonna beat many guys deep, unless its a blown coverage.

I do like the kid. And think he's perfect in the slot...ahead of Stoughter.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 21, 2011, 03:56:46 PM

Parker, Stroughter, and Spurlock are all interchangeable to me. They are all smaller guys, slot guys, return guys. If anyone has the edge it is Spurlock because he has done a lot more than Stroughter or Parker. None of them are special though.

Draft Aaron Donald

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 21, 2011, 05:55:30 PM

Parker, Stroughter, and Spurlock are all interchangeable to me. They are all smaller guys, slot guys, return guys. If anyone has the edge it is Spurlock because he has done a lot more than Stroughter or Parker. None of them are special though.

For once I disagree with your logic. Parker produced nearly 200 yards of offense against the Vikings. None of the other receivers have come anywhere close to that number for the Bucs. I'm not saying they are not capable, just that they haven't done it. In fact I am saying I am saying the others just need the opportunity. Benn and Briscoe have never been targeted six times in a single game. Spurlock is rarely even in the game. Same goes for Stroughter. Gant is probably more explosive than either of them, but he's on the PS. The talent is there but we don't make use of it. Freeman throws to K2 first or Mike Williams if he can find him. The only way Freeman will ever truly become an elite QB like Brees or Brady, is by making use of all of his weapons. I don't know if it's by design or simply his comfort zone, but he has to get his other receivers involved. Parker has proven himself as a returner and last Sunday he was a difference maker. We don't win that game without him. Next week it might be Benn or Briscoe that makes the difference. We can't afford to waste talent on the sidelines. We have to get everybody involved. I'd say the fowlgoons are game planning for Parker right now. Next week it could be Benn or Briscoe that the Colts have to think about. They know about K2. They know about Mike Williams like the Vikings did last week. I believe this team would win without Stroughter or Spurlock. I also believe the Bucs would have lost without Parker last Sunday.

I find your posts to be among the the most accurate and unbiased of anyone on this board. Preston Parker had his character issues in college, but he can play and produce at this level. He is a player and deserves more of an opportunity.

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#39 : September 21, 2011, 06:15:12 PM

Parker is quick, good after the catch, and can beat LB's on crossing routes. If guys like Williams and Benn are keeping the safeties deep, then that play is open all day long to any slot receiver. If Parker and Winslow keep taking advantage of it, defenses will have to pick their poison and risk leaving Williams or Benn in single coverage downfield. I haven't seen anything that shows me Parker should be a starter, but he's good enough at what he does to be effective when the defense isn't prepared for him. Gonna need to see consistent production and some versatility in his route-running before I start even thinking about him as a starting receiver.

taintsmash12

Practice Squad

#40 : September 21, 2011, 07:05:07 PM

Not sure if I missed it but I don't recall Parker getting into the thing at the end of the field. I know Benn did

Tommy

Starter

#41 : September 21, 2011, 07:58:12 PM

I loved Parker since his FSU days, I hope succeeds. I think he better for the slot but I guess it depends on the matchup that game. He is a speedy small receiver (I don't care what the roster says) that can make people miss in the open field.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : September 21, 2011, 08:57:49 PM

For once I disagree with your logic. Parker produced nearly 200 yards of offense against the Vikings. None of the other receivers have come anywhere close to that number for the Bucs. I'm not saying they are not capable, just that they haven't done it. In fact I am saying I am saying the others just need the opportunity. Benn and Briscoe have never been targeted six times in a single game. Spurlock is rarely even in the game. Same goes for Stroughter. Gant is probably more explosive than either of them, but he's on the PS. The talent is there but we don't make use of it. Freeman throws to K2 first or Mike Williams if he can find him. The only way Freeman will ever truly become an elite QB like Brees or Brady, is by making use of all of his weapons. I don't know if it's by design or simply his comfort zone, but he has to get his other receivers involved. Parker has proven himself as a returner and last Sunday he was a difference maker. We don't win that game without him. Next week it might be Benn or Briscoe that makes the difference. We can't afford to waste talent on the sidelines. We have to get everybody involved. I'd say the fowlgoons are game planning for Parker right now. Next week it could be Benn or Briscoe that the Colts have to think about. They know about K2. They know about Mike Williams like the Vikings did last week. I believe this team would win without Stroughter or Spurlock. I also believe the Bucs would have lost without Parker last Sunday.

I find your posts to be among the the most accurate and unbiased of anyone on this board. Preston Parker had his character issues in college, but he can play and produce at this level. He is a player and deserves more of an opportunity.

He did have a great game and he does deserve more opportunities, but he hasn't done more than Spurlock. Spurlock has made many clutch catches for us and returned kicks that have single handedly won us games. The guy is under appreciated, but without him we don't win 10 games last year. We might not have even won 8. One good game is nice, but Spurlock has showed up at just the right time in many games. Parker is probably just as good, but let's let him show some consistency before we get carried away. It's seems like the entire Briscoe wagon got abandoned and everyone jumped on Parker's bandwagon now. I'm not saying Briscoe or Parker suck, or wishing failure on them...I just want to see a WR do it consistently when they are expected to deliver before I get too excited.

Also, I like the idea of Parker used as a 3rd down back. He ran the ball in college and we know he can catch. He's listed as 6ft 200lbs but he looks stockier than that. He has the build. If he can pick up pass protection he could be useful.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82257a02/QB-Freeman-to-WR-Parker-51-yd-pass
: September 21, 2011, 09:04:38 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 22, 2011, 12:36:32 AM

He did have a great game and he does deserve more opportunities, but he hasn't done more than Spurlock. Spurlock has made many clutch catches for us and returned kicks that have single handedly won us games. The guy is under appreciated, but without him we don't win 10 games last year. We might not have even won 8. One good game is nice, but Spurlock has showed up at just the right time in many games. Parker is probably just as good, but let's let him show some consistency before we get carried away. It's seems like the entire Briscoe wagon got abandoned and everyone jumped on Parker's bandwagon now. I'm not saying Briscoe or Parker suck, or wishing failure on them...I just want to see a WR do it consistently when they are expected to deliver before I get too excited.

Also, I like the idea of Parker used as a 3rd down back. He ran the ball in college and we know he can catch. He's listed as 6ft 200lbs but he looks stockier than that. He has the build. If he can pick up pass protection he could be useful.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82257a02/QB-Freeman-to-WR-Parker-51-yd-pass

Spurlock has been in the league longer than Parker and played in more games, but most of his contributions have been on STs. He rarely gets more than a couple of passes thrown his way in a game. It's been pretty much the same story for Parker over the past year. Briscoe had one great game last year and he's at a disadvantage since they don't use him as a returner. Benn needs more opportunities. Gruden never made use of multiple receivers other than 2002. IMO, that's just one of the reasons he was fired. We have talented receivers other than Williams and K2. We have to get them involved, or we are going to lose some games we shouldn't. I'm not for any particular player. I'd like to see a rotation of the receivers we have. I believe they are talented enough to give defenses fits trying to prepare for the Bucs. Right now all they have to do is prepare for Williams and K2. I want them to worry about all of our guys.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 22, 2011, 12:39:11 AM

Far too early to say, not to mention his style is best suited to be a slot receiver anyways.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Preston Parker be the #2 reciever? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools