Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If we could somehow get Andrew Luck, and deal Freeman away... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

: October 19, 2011, 01:54:24 AM

Would any of you be "up for it"...?

I know Luck is good, and MAY end up being a successful QB in the NFL.  Maybe even "great", but...  If we could trade up for him, packaging Freeman in the trade in the process, would you want us to...?

Personally...  For me...  NO WAY.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 19, 2011, 01:57:13 AM

Nope. I personally don't think Freeman is ever going to be a consistently elite passer, while Luck has a chance to. I would rather any picks spent towards doing that be spent on the defense. I still think an elite defense will win games in this league, as long as you have a decent QB. Freeman is more than a decent QB, and he wins those close games. I would rather a winner, and a physical guy like Freeman than be able to go out and pass for a bunch of yards.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 19, 2011, 01:59:22 AM

We already have too many wins to even qualify.  I think whoever gets the #1 pick takes him even if its the Colts or St Louis who already have franchise QB's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 19, 2011, 02:17:58 AM

Nope. I personally don't think Freeman is ever going to be a consistently elite passer, while Luck has a chance to. I would rather any picks spent towards doing that be spent on the defense. I still think an elite defense will win games in this league, as long as you have a decent QB. Freeman is more than a decent QB, and he wins those close games. I would rather a winner, and a physical guy like Freeman than be able to go out and pass for a bunch of yards.

While I tend to agree with the majority of your post, I disagree on your prognosis on Freeman.  I think he'll one day be consistently mentioned in discussions of "the top 5 QBs in the league"...

I also think, because of the direction the league is heading in terms of the premium they now put on scoring, that having a "decent QB" simply won't carry the day.  It's going to boil down to the teams with the best 5 QBs AND a solid defense.  I also don't think we'll see a "defensive champion" any time soon.  Teams that can't put 30+ PPG simply won't have a shot...  And that's against the BEST defenses (occasionally).

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 19, 2011, 02:21:41 AM

We already have too many wins to even qualify.  I think whoever gets the #1 pick takes him even if its the Colts or St Louis who already have franchise QB's.

NO team "has too many wins"...  IF they're willing to package a player (Freeman) with picks, to pull off an Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers type of deal.

The Raiders are a perfect example of that.  I don't think Palmer was worth a 1st and conditional 2nd, but hey - IF it works out for them, they'll be called BRILLIANT for pulling the trigger on him.

Capt Kidd

Starter
#5 : October 19, 2011, 02:22:56 AM

While I tend to agree with the majority of your post, I disagree on your prognosis on Freeman.  I think he'll one day be consistently mentioned in discussions of "the top 5 QBs in the league"...

I also think, because of the direction the league is heading in terms of the premium they now put on scoring, that having a "decent QB" simply won't carry the day.  It's going to boil down to the teams with the best 5 QBs AND a solid defense.  I also don't think we'll see a "defensive champion" any time soon.  Teams that can't put 30+ PPG simply won't have a shot...  And that's against the BEST defenses (occasionally).
I respectully disagree. I think in any sport, the media will talk about the offense, but the championships will go to the defense more often than not. And I do think Free has too much skill and "want to" to not be elite.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 19, 2011, 02:39:39 AM

I respectully disagree. I think in any sport, the media will talk about the offense, but the championships will go to the defense more often than not. And I do think Free has too much skill and "want to" to not be elite.

No offense taken sir.  I actually LIKE it when someone disagrees with me.  I actually enjoy debating or discussing football, but so much more when someone can do so with logic, as opposed to name calling or insults directed at loved ones.  Just weak to me...  Anywho........

I would have agreed with you 110% just a few short years ago, but...  Along came Goodell, and his "scoring is good for business" mentality too.

Personally, I actually dig the '85 Bears, the stiffling Ravens defensive style types of champions.  Unfortunately, the majority enjoy high scoring shoot-outs.  It's the classic debate of a "pitchers duel" versus a scoring fest in baseball.  Although I'm not a huge baseball fan, I love seeing well-pitched games.

Capt Kidd

Starter
#7 : October 19, 2011, 02:53:41 AM

Yah, yah! And that's my point. I think the right pitcher or D can shut down that high scoring offense or "batter". But you also have to score too. So I think we're pretty much in agreement. And I like the way Dom is building our team with balance. A bad-ass D-line with a franchise QB. The Falcons were flying high last year til they met the Packers who could do both. I don't think the Packers are as balanced this year. I think they've become enamored with the 'O' which is dangerous.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 19, 2011, 02:57:47 AM

I wouldn't waste a whole lot of effort on defense in Goodell's NFL. Can't hit anyone.

Seriously though, it makes me cringe a little knowing TB blitzes a hell of a lot more than they used to while Goodell is kissing offense ass these days.

But to answer the OP. Hell naw! Freeman WILL be great, I promise you that. He may not be here before that happens because of the Glazerhouse sons (god, I hope this isn't Doug round two), but he will be great somewhere, if not here. Dude has a loooong time to go before his career is over to hone his craft. If he's this good now, what's he going to be like with several seasons of NFL training/games under his belt along with all his already god-given abilities? Luck is also going to be good, but why even worry about him? The Bucs should NOT be in those talks to begin with, even theoretical.

The only reason Luck could even be considered for Tampa in any manner is ticket sales. As Java will tell you, they need more white players to sell tickets to all the old racist Florida fans.  ::)

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 19, 2011, 03:08:51 AM

No. Freeman is our guy for now.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#10 : October 19, 2011, 04:57:50 AM

I'd rather have Tebow.

PewterG@tor

Starter
#11 : October 19, 2011, 06:23:24 AM

I first read this topic and almost lost my mind over this sort of talk because I thought this was one of those bash Free, praise Luck posts.  Glad to see this is actually an educated discussion over the finer points of Freeman's game and how he can still improve.  Nice discussion fellas.
I would not even consider trading a known good commodity for an unknown.  The damage to team chemistry would be irreparable for one thing since Freeman is so well liked and respected by everyone.  He brings together all of the aspects that a franchise QB requires; he has moxy, prototypical size, moves well in the pocket, calls the blocking schemes, has poise in the pocket even if he's gonna get creamed (right side of the o-line I'm looking at you), I could go on and on but I'll stop here.
Def no concerning Luck

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 19, 2011, 06:35:52 AM

Andrew Luck might be the best quarterback project since Peyton Manning but Free is my quarterback *cry*  lol.

I think we can win the superbowl with freeman. So i would stick with him.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 19, 2011, 07:18:24 AM

I don't get threads like these.  I'm sure its just me though.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 19, 2011, 07:31:46 AM

I don't get threads like these.  I'm sure its just me though.

They think the grass is greener on the other side.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If we could somehow get Andrew Luck, and deal Freeman away... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools