Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #270 : November 17, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »

You are slightly puzzled by 95% of blacks voted for a black man and race not being a factor

Not only is this not true, just as many black voters did so for Clinton.

Also, stop calling Obama a black man. Hes mixed race. If anything being raised by his white mama would make him more white than black.
Oh no he didn't :o

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #271 : November 17, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

White boy.

This guy...

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #272 : November 17, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

White boy.
oh **CENSORED** he did

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #273 : November 17, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

You are slightly puzzled by 95% of blacks voted for a black man and race not being a factor

Also, stop calling Obama a black man. Hes mixed race. If anything being raised by his white mama would make him more white than black.
Not the first to offer that opinion. So it there a point to this?
« : November 17, 2012, 05:30:42 PM dbucfan »

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #274 : November 17, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »

Who cares if someone else shares the same view as me? Yes there is a point. That the comment Kevabuc was racist. It was not only false, but aimed at indulging his prejudice

Also the first 3 sentences aren't opinions
« : November 17, 2012, 05:39:51 PM tripblood »

This guy...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #275 : November 17, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »

Sorry, thought you were looking for conversation - you fight with someone else.  Maybe MSNBC.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #276 : November 17, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »

Sorry, thought you were looking for conversation - you fight with someone else.  Maybe MSNBC.

Stay TRippy, D

This guy...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #277 : November 17, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

You too tripblood -

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #278 : November 17, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »

Every once in a while the President needs to demonstrate his "blackness" and it effects his judgement. Someone more comfortable in his skin (no pun intended) aka Herman Cain would not feel the need to do so.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #279 : November 18, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »

A few comments in re this thread:

#1.  As far as the person in a nice car buy groceries and using an EBT Card or having a nice phone,,, that could have been me. I am a Rep. Payee for a disabled women who doesn't drive and barely can walk. She lives on SS disability of ~$970 /mo plus her $138/mo (after I fought my arse off to get her up from $108) in SANP (food stamps). On many occasions she has given me a list and her EBT card and I bought her groceries and delivered them. Was I abusing the system?? Hell no!! but did the person behind me falsely judge me for using an EBT card while wearing a $100 shirt?? probably.

Moral of story, don't judge till you know the whole story.

#2 My biggest complaint about the whole SNAP system is the arbitrary and capricious way they decide benefit. For instance, I had to jump thru hoops to get the above women increased from $108 to $138 yet she and I both know of a 28 yo. healthy male ( no kids or dependents) who applied and was immediately awarded $200/mo.???????? Clearly the system is to formulaic and not "common sense" enough.

#3 My 2nd biggest complaint is less than 60% of the tax dollar money allocated to the SNAP program actually goes to benefits, the other 40% is all wasted on over-paid administrators and general waste.

#4 My 3rd biggest complaint is how the entire EBT payment system is set up in a monopolistic way. There are hundreds of companies that can and do process EBT transactions for retailers, but ONLY JP Morgan Chase gets paid by the Govt. to offer retailers FREE terminals and FREE processing. Any other company, processor, ISO, etc. has to PAY THE STATE $0.15 per transaction for any EBT use, but JP Morgan Chase RECEIVES $0.20 per transaction FROM THE GOVT. to do the exact same thing. COMPETITION????????  FREE MARKET??????

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #280 : November 18, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »

And just in time for Thanksgiving, the EBT network is down. Food stamps don't work???

Here is one of the e-mails I received regarding this:

Dear Valued Partner,

The following is a notification of an outage and possible disruption of service for merchants attempting to process EBT transactions. xxxxx xxxxxxxxx (company name redacted) has been advised that various processors are reporting issues with the EBT network.  As a result some merchant's ability to process PIN based EBT transactions may be affected.

The states that could be potentially impacted by the interruption are:

Delaware, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New  York,  Rhode Island,  Vermont, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Utah, Washington, Pennsylvania.

This issue is receiving the highest levels of attention by the processors and EBT network in order to resolve.

More information to come as it becomes available.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

« #281 : November 20, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »

You delight in informing a young black man that Martin Luther King was a Republican and seeing the utter shock in their eyes

Perhaps you should tell that young black man the whole story. About half of African Americans were Republican back then, with a majority of them being in the south in opposition to the "Dixiecrats", racist white southerners who voted primarily for the Democratic party. The epic shift occurred after the passing of the Civil Rights Act by LBJ, and the subsequent courting of the white racist vote by the Republican party as part of Nixon's "Southern Strategy".

Well, I could, but it woudn't be your concept of the "whole" story. It would include the complete story of how the so called southern strategy was at first laid on Goldwater's door step due to his vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act which was proclaimed as "proof" he was racist and that his appeal to states rights was futher proof that he was in favor of the continuation of Jim Crow type laws. Then I would have to include that the reality to this alleged "racism" was Goldwater's efforts to integrate the Arizona National Guard before Truman even integrated the National Armed Forces and that Goldwater voted for all previous civil rights legislation and only opposed the 1964 Act on two provisions relating to property rights that he felt were unConstitutional, believing that private businesses and clubs were subject only to market conditions, not through government intervention.

Then I would have to address the alleged racism of Nixon appealing to the exploitation of white voters built on racial tensions when the reality is that because of Nixon's stance on civil rights George Wallace felt compelled to enter the 1968 race as a third party candidate, which Nixon said that “The deep south had to be virtually conceded to George Wallace. I could not match him there without compromising on civil rights, which I would not do.”   If you will remember, it was Nixon that appealed to Eisenhower to appoint Earl Warren to the Supreme Court, that it was Nixon that was in favor of sending troops in to integrate Little Rock High, that Nixon, after being elected virtually eliminated the idea of separate but equal in the scholls in the south, going from 68% of black students attending segregrated schools when he entered the Presidency to just 9% within 5 years.

I would then have to complete your whole story with the lie that all former Dixiecrats moved to the Republican party, when the reality is that only Strom Thurman changed parties while the other major Dixiecrats, Fulbright, Wallace, Gore and Byrd remained loyal Democrats till the end.

For a post script I would then add that the epic shift in blacks voting Democrat really began with FDR and that LBJ's reward of blacks shifting was due primarily on his ability to sell the idea that it was only he and the Dems that pushed through the 1964 Act, even though it was mostly wriitten by the Republicans.

So, as it is today, great marketing led to the shift in voting stance by blacks moreso then great reality.

I am aware of all of this, but it is at least, irrelevant, and at best, overly generous. Nixon and Goldwater did adopt the southern strategy, particularly in the general election, as a pathway to the needed electoral votes to win the presidency. It doesn't mean that they were racists, it means that they were opportunists. The Democrats getting 90+ percent of the black vote wasn't a result of marketing on behalf of Democrats in the least. The Republican leadership at the time was fully aware that that would be the consequence of adopting the strategy, but chose to go forward with it because it meant a solid majority in the South that a coalition of blacks and liberal whites could not come close to overcoming. The Democrats didn't take black votes away from Republicans. The Republican party willfully tossed aside their record on civil rights in favor of political expediency.

It's not that it is irrelevant that's irrelevant, it's that it has been rendered irrelevant that is relevant. So what you are saying is that a pathway to the needed electoral votes was adopted utilizing a strategy that the democrats had used since the days of Woodrow Wilson and FDR and were trying to run from and that LBJ had already conceded for a generation. The Southern Strategy, I know you will find hard to believe, was a strategy built on economic principles, built on appealing to an already changing demographic in the Peripheral South and letting Wallace have the deep south.

by Patrick J. Buchanan – December 30, 2002

How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is
 To have a thankless child.

Lear’s reflection upon ingratitude comes to mind as one reads of the squabble among neoconservatives over who among them was first to stick his nail file in the back of Trent Lott.

Charles Krauthammer enters a claim for the Kristol-Bennett crowd, while Jonah Goldberg of National Review and cashiered Bush speech-writer David Frum insist they, too, played supporting roles.

Whether Lott may have been innocent of any hate crime, or whether they might have had a moral duty to step in to stop a lynching of one of their own – even had Lott blundered – seem to be thoughts that never once intruded upon these tiny minds. Yet their collusion in ruining Lott, their relish in the pats on the head they are receiving from the left, confirm the su**CENSORED**ion: Neoconservatives are the useful idiots of the liberal establishment.

With Lott gone, Bill Kristol is now collaborating with the New York Times in its rewrite of the history of the 1960s, a decade of liberal debacles, to credit racism for the Republicans’ success.

“Lott is really virtually the last of the products of Richard Nixon’s ‘Southern Strategy’ to be in major positions of power in the Congress,” Kristol assures the Times. “With his leaving, you will have cleared out people who … have a somewhat compromised image to the country as a whole.”

Now, as a co-architect of the Nixon strategy that gave the GOP a lock on the White House for a quarter century, let me say that Kristol’s opportunism is matched only by his ignorance. Richard Nixon kicked off his historic comeback in 1966 with a column on the South (by this writer) that declared we would build our Republican Party on a foundation of states rights, human rights, small government and a strong national defense, and leave it to the “party of Maddox, Mahoney and Wallace to squeeze the last ounces of political juice out of the rotting fruit of racial injustice.”

In that ’66 campaign, Nixon – who had been thanked personally by Dr. King for his help in passing the Civil Rights Act of 1957 – endorsed all Republicans, except members of the John Birch Society.

In 1968, Nixon chose Spiro Agnew for vice president. Why? Agnew had routed George (“Your home is your castle!”) Mahoney for governor of Maryland but had also criticized civil-rights leaders who failed to condemn the riots that erupted after the assassination of King. The Agnew of 1968 was both pro-civil rights and pro-law and order.

When the ’68 campaign began, Nixon was at 42 percent, Humphrey at 29 percent, Wallace at 22 percent. When it ended, Nixon and Humphrey were tied at 43 percent, with Wallace at 13 percent. The 9 percent of the national vote that had been peeled off from Wallace had gone to Humphrey.

Between 1969 and 1974, Nixon – who believed that blacks had gotten a raw deal in America and wanted to extend a helping hand:

* raised the civil rights enforcement budget 800 percent;

* doubled the budget for black colleges;

* appointed more blacks to federal posts and high positions
 than any president, including LBJ;

* adopted the Philadelphia Plan mandating quotas for blacks
 in unions, and for black scholars in colleges and
 universities;

* invented “Black Capitalism” (the Office of Minority Business
 Enterprise), raised U.S. purchases from black businesses
 from $9 million to $153 million, increased small business
 loans to minorities 1,000 percent, increased U.S. deposits
 in minority-owned banks 4,000 percent;

* raised the share of Southern schools that were
 desegregated from 10 percent to 70 percent. Wrote the
 U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in 1975, “It has only been
 since 1968 that substantial reduction of racial segregation
 has taken place in the South.”

The charge that we built our Republican coalition on race is a lie. Nixon routed the left because it had shown itself incompetent to win or end a war into which it had plunged the United States and too befuddled or cowardly to denounce the rioters burning our cities or the brats rampaging on our campuses.

Nixon led America out of a dismal decade and was rewarded with a 49-state landslide. By one estimate, he carried 18 percent of the black vote in 1972 and 25 percent in the South. No Republican has since matched that. To see Kristol colluding with the Times to rewrite that history to make liberals heroes and Republicans villains tells us more about him than about the era.

And where were the necons, when Goldwaterites and Nixonites were building the New Majority? Going all the way with LBJ.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

« #282 : November 20, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »

In 2008 Obama won 95% of the black vote (can I say that?), in 2012 he won 93% of the Black vote. In 1992 Clnton won 83% of the black vote and then in 1996 he won 84% of the black vote. If you include all of Perot's 1992 black vote count of 7% that would equal 90% of the black vote in 1992 and if you include Perot's 4% of the black vote in 1996 that would have given Clinton 88% of the black vote.

I'm sorry, have I been mistakenly led to believe that it was a Historical election of 2008 that gave us the first Black President or have I just been hearing subtle "code words" for mixed race all along? I can't keep this crap straight anymore.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

« #283 : November 20, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »

Who cares if someone else shares the same view as me? Yes there is a point. That the comment Kevabuc was racist. It was not only false, but aimed at indulging his prejudice

Also the first 3 sentences aren't opinions

OK, you really have me on the ropes here with such clear and compelling arguments, now it's time to go for the racist knockout. Explain how? I know it's usually just enough these days to claim it but maybe you could give some insight that only you seem to have.

But, before you do, i would read the statement very clearly before just going with the roundhouse.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #284 : November 20, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »

This is not a racial thread, let's keep this discussion to what the original post was insinuating.

1. Entitlement
2. How much help is enough and where does it end.
3. If you it becomes more beneficial to "receive" than to "make" them more and more will start receiving.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools