Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #15 : February 27, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

one of my favorite things to make.  and not difficult.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-francese-recipe/index.html

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #16 : February 27, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »

I make some bad arse meatballs if I do say so myself.  both the Swedish and Italian variety.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/swedish-meatballs-recipe/index.html

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/italian_meatballs/

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #17 : February 27, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

love Italian food more than anything.  this is really good:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-ziti-i/

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #18 : February 27, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

when I had Sirius Satellite Radio and use to listen to Bubba he once talked about this article in his hometown newspaper that featured his mother's cooking.  Had to look it up.  This meatloaf is incredible.  All 3 of those recipes are in fact.  The cream pie is sick in a good way.   No wonder he once weighed like 500 pounds.  http://satellitestandard.blogspot.com/2006/12/janey-cakes-bubbas-mom-dishes-up.html

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #19 : February 27, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »

I'll definitely give this a try sometime soon, just really started cooking consistently and trying new things.

Any other good recipes worth a try?

sure I got a bunch of favorites I cook.  those Aussie guys in the 2nd video I posted have this that I made a few times.  Very good. 

That looks pretty damn good

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #20 : February 27, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

kind of pricey to make but if you are trying to impress someone it will do the trick.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #21 : February 27, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »

Very nice S&B... Definitely going to give these a try.

Ive just really started to mess around with cooking different stuff and learning from the internet. Really gotten to where I enjoy it.

I really like s p i cey stuff, and love pasta. Have been trying to cook healthier too a bit lately.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #22 : February 27, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

One thing I struggle with too is picking good sides and actually making a complete meal rather than just 1 good item.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #23 : February 27, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

I used to cook all the time since I always got home before my wife..now I don't get home til around 8...so I'll have to try these out on a weekend..nice post S&B.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #24 : March 01, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »

One of the wife's favorites, I use about six thighs, julienne the carrots, use about a cup more red wine (recipe as is does not make enough sauce) and serve over wide egg noodles. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/coq-au-vin/

Edit. -- the time given is about right for them to be safe to eat, but I cook them for about an hour and a half, the meat will be falling off the bone tender.
« : March 01, 2012, 05:27:11 PM caradoc »

gone

Hall of Famer
« #25 : March 01, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

One thing I struggle with too is picking good sides and actually making a complete meal rather than just 1 good item.

Standard go-to meal in my house:

Steak ( t-bone, ribeye or London broil)
Rice
Asparagus or broccoli

I absolutely recommend you buy yourself a non-stick rice cooker, it will make rice a staple side for you.  Put in a cup of rice ( not that minute rice or uncle bens garbage you are probably used to) -- I use jasmine rice --- and a bit overs cup and a half of water, plug it in and in twenty minutes you have a perfect starch side.  Remember to use cooking spray on the inside before adding rice.  Has to be non stick, don't buy the other kind.

If you don't already have a steamer pot (small pot with a smaller insert used on stovetop) most supermarkets will have a steamer basket insert for sail in their little housewares section.  Steaming asparagus takes from three to six minutes depending on thickness (don't forget to snap off the woody part at the bottom).  rinse them and while they are still wet sprinkle them with kosher salt. Broccoli same thing, cut to bite size florets, rinse, salt. They are done when you can slide a steak knife through them without much resistance.  both take the same time.

I start the rice and heat the grill at the same time.  About five minutes later I start the steaks.  About five minutes before the rice is done the steaks are done.  Take them out, tent with foil and let the merest, start the asparagus when you rest them.  All done in twenty minutes.

Tips:  make sure you bring your steaks up to close to room temp by taking them out, seasoning them, and setting them on the counter for twenty minutes before grilling.   Remember to grease the grill.  Use kosher salt, and more than you think you need.  Ther is no substitue for fresh cracked pepper.

« : March 01, 2012, 05:24:55 PM caradoc »

gone

Hall of Famer
« #26 : March 01, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »

Just a note on steaming veggies.  I think a lot of people say they don't like veggies because they grew up being fed the canned version.  I know my family was fed that way and none of us liked veggies.  I didn't even bother to try cooking them and I have been the cook in the house since my late teens.   Fresh veggies were a revelation,  and steaming them is one of the quickest, easiest, and healthiest ways to do them.  My kids absolutely love veggies, they are usually the first thing off the plate.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #27 : March 01, 2012, 05:38:06 PM »

when I had Sirius Satellite Radio and use to listen to Bubba he once talked about this article in his hometown newspaper that featured his mother's cooking.  Had to look it up.  This meatloaf is incredible.  All 3 of those recipes are in fact.  The cream pie is sick in a good way.   No wonder he once weighed like 500 pounds.  http://satellitestandard.blogspot.com/2006/12/janey-cakes-bubbas-mom-dishes-up.html

That meatloaf was a frequent visitor in my house growing up.  (Another version which is surprisingly good is covering meatloaf with sliced pineapples )No real point in sautéing the onions IMHO, the amount of time involved isn't worth the return and I like them to have more texture anyway.  And instead of just covering the top it is eaire to make an indentation coupl of inches wide running the length and filling that.
« : March 03, 2012, 03:54:43 AM caradoc »

dj1111

Rookie
« #28 : March 03, 2012, 03:10:32 AM »

Nando's is amazing! Are they expanding in the states? If they came to Tampa I would implode.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #29 : March 04, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »

Just made the Piri Piri Chicken from Sorted's instructions. Turned out pretty good. Didn't have enough time to let it marinate in the sauce long enough, otherwise I think it would be amazing.

Next time I am going to add more sp ice.

Also want to try it on the grill.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools