Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bounty Bowl Discussion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 05, 2012, 03:14:31 PM

The comments on this board are down right stupid. I remember my high school football coach putting a bounty on an opposing RB. To think the Saints are the only team who do this practice is foolish. I swear Americans are losing that thing called logic.

NOBODY THINKS THAT.

Hello, they got caught - that's all. Problem for them is, they didn't just get caught, they also covered it up, lied to the NFL, etc.

jlr0714

Starter
#16 : March 05, 2012, 03:15:52 PM

The comments on this board are down right stupid. I remember my high school football coach putting a bounty on an opposing RB. To think the Saints are the only team who do this practice is foolish. I swear Americans are losing that thing called logic.

If your high school coach was sanctioning this, he was an ass and a disgrace to the high school coaching profession.   Football is a fast, hard, violent game, and people get hurt.  I will always feel the impact of the injuries I sustained while playing.   That being said....there is simply no room for intentionally injuring others.   To 'teach' this type of behavior to high school boys is disgusting.   It's no different than beating someone up in a back alley..it's bush league and pathetic.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 05, 2012, 03:16:03 PM

As a Bucs Fan: Yes (who wouldn't want to see the Saints in "FULL MELTDOWN MODE!"

As a Fan of the NFL: No (I don't think it's a big of a deal as people are making it out to be.)
Career ending injuries isn't a big deal?

gone

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 05, 2012, 03:22:38 PM

The problem isn't how long it has been going on.  The league decided to put a stop to it a few years ago and told teams to stop doing it.  At that point it becomes irrelevant if "that's the way we always did it" .  The new regime said to stop it so you stop it.  Back when there was a bounty on Marinos head DBs could mug receivers all the way down the field, leading with the helmet was never called, and there was no rule against horse collars..  But then the rules changed and you can't do that stuff any longer.  Saying this is ok because it has been around forever is like arguing that your guy made a catch because he was forced out.

They got caught refusing to obey the "new" rules, refused a direct order to stop it.  Anyone else doing this after Goodell sent out those memos is just as culpable and needs to be disciplined.  people calling for some extreme discipline are going overboard though.  Payton will probably get an in-season suspension for a game or two.  Two firsts sounds right along with a big fine for team discipline.  Suspensions and fines for key players involved.  Williams is either suspended for a full season or fined heavily and given a partial suspension.  I don't think you can truly suspend coaches like you can with players, a suspension would have to allow them to work with players during the week mut miss one or two Sundays.  If you really do take them out for a chunk of the season that's effectively firing the and punishing everyone, coaches, players, owners. 

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#19 : March 05, 2012, 03:42:37 PM

If your high school coach was sanctioning this, he was an ass and a disgrace to the high school coaching profession.   Football is a fast, hard, violent game, and people get hurt.  I will always feel the impact of the injuries I sustained while playing.   That being said....there is simply no room for intentionally injuring others.   To 'teach' this type of behavior to high school boys is disgusting.   It's no different than beating someone up in a back alley..it's bush league and pathetic.

I'll leave the high school football statement alone due to your recent post. No I am not condoning what the Saints were doing. I hate this part of football. However, we see every week on ESPN hits that could seriously injure someone. i.e. defenders tackling by launching helmet first. If the Saints will be fined to make an example so be it. However, I don't like the fact people are acting like this is something new.

britbuc14

Starter

#20 : March 05, 2012, 03:53:53 PM

GUYS?

seriously if this was the Bucs about to have their pants pulled down and get their noses broken on the counter i'd feel the same.

intentionally injuring players is plain WRONG!!!

these players dream of playing at the NFL level and for their careers to put at risk because they're good and the only way the Saints can gameplan against them is to injure the players is disgusting.

any of the 32 teams in the NFL should be punished harshly to make an example that this bull**CENSORED**

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 05, 2012, 04:10:53 PM

how bout we just try to beat them on the field.  wanting the league to take our competition out for us is for vaginas.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#22 : March 05, 2012, 05:04:21 PM

how bout we just try to beat them on the field.  wanting the league to take our competition out for us is for vaginas.
I agree

Why take advantage of an opponent who is at a disadvantage. If Cam Newton is injured the week before we play Carolina, we should wait until he gets healthy to play them. If thats not possible, then we should at least sit our QB.

In fact, since New Orleans made a decision that resulted in them losing their 1st round pick this year, we should give them ours.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 05, 2012, 05:06:52 PM

I agree

Why take advantage of an opponent who is at a disadvantage. If Cam Newton is injured the week before we play Carolina, we should wait until he gets healthy to play them. If thats not possible, then we should at least sit our QB.

In fact, since New Orleans made a decision that resulted in them losing their 1st round pick this year, we should give them ours.
Lol

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 05, 2012, 05:07:41 PM

Both should be fired in my opinion. Not because they were doing it and not because they were caught, but because a year ago, they were asked about it and told to stop the practice. They ignored the owner and the NFL. Life doesn't often give you a warning, but when it does, you better damn well recognize it and take the right action when it happens.

Had this come to light after the Saints had ended the practice last season, they probably would have got something close to a slap on the hand, certainly no worse than what the Pats got.

I have no problem with paying a player extra to get a sack or an interception or a touchdown, but attempts to deliberately injure another player IN A GAME is down right de**CENSORED**able. Every player is in the same boat, at the end, 40-50% of them will have a hard time walking by the time they are 50 years old. Doing anything to increase those odds is wrong.

So yes, Payton and Loomis should go. The players generally should not be suspended or fined unless they were also promoting the system by adding money or identifying players to target.

Fox is right, this was stupid - especially after you were warned.

JMO.   

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

nitey

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 05, 2012, 05:10:40 PM

Oh, I would feel exactly the same way if this was about the Bucs. Yes, I would hate that it happened to my favorite team, but I would definately NOT feel one iota different.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 05, 2012, 05:15:03 PM

...When you're talking about a guy like Shawn Payton, you're talking about a guy that needs to get it in the rear (without the lube)....

Better yet, let's just take out the other leg.  ;)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 05, 2012, 05:17:50 PM

I agree

if you're so afraid of the mighty Saints and think our only chance of being competitive against them is to have the league take away all their picks and force their HC and GM to be fired then yes that is loser talk.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#28 : March 05, 2012, 05:27:31 PM

I agree

if you're so afraid of the mighty Saints and think our only chance of being competitive against them is to have the league take away all their picks and force their HC and GM to be fired then yes that is loser talk.
Lets hope they don't get called for penalties when they play us. I'd hate to see Josh get hit helmet to helmet and have them be penalized for breaking the rules.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 05, 2012, 05:31:28 PM

I agree

Lets hope they don't get called for penalties when they play us. I'd hate to see Josh get hit helmet to helmet and have them be penalized for breaking the rules.
Pretty soon they will have it mandated that the players take up Ballet and play in pink tutu's...JMVHO...OBD

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bounty Bowl Discussion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools