Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 ... 383

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4935 : July 14, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »

RIP Trayvon Martin.

I couldn't imagine thinking that 17 years is all a child was allowed.

That is the only tragedy in this mess.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

« #4936 : July 14, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »

Just found this to be interesting and pretty good as it get going...OBD

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/zimmerman-not-guilty-verdict-how-did-it-happen

Zimmerman not guilty verdict: How did it happen?

SANFORD, Fla. — Despite a clamoring by some for a conviction against George Zimmerman, jurors acquitted the former neighborhood watch leader of all charges, leaving many Americans to wonder how the justice system allowed him to walk away from the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

Part of the answer is found in the 27-page jury instructions on two matters: justifiable use of deadly force and reasonable doubt. Jurors were told Zimmerman was allowed to use deadly force when he shot Martin not only if he faced actually faced death or bodily harm, but also if he merely thought he did.

Reasonable doubt can come from conflicting evidence and testimony, which jurors heard plenty of over nearly three weeks.

Some Martin family supporters may never understand the gap between the legal basis for the jury's acquittal and what they perceived as the proper outcome: Zimmerman's conviction for either second-degree murder or manslaughter.

"There is a difference between the law and what people think is fundamentally justice," said Barbara Arnwine, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, a Washington-based civil rights group.

Under Florida law, jurors were told to judge whether Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force by the circumstances he was under when he fired his gun. The instructions they were given said they should take into account the physical capabilities of both Zimmerman, 29, and Martin, 17. And if they had any reasonable doubt on whether Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force, they should find him not guilty.

More from MSN News:
Nation reacts to the Zimmerman verdict
Zimmerman cleared; attorney says safety is a concern
Gallery: The nation reacts to the Zimmerman verdict
Quotes and reactions to the verdict
Zimmerman jury: Who made the decision?
"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is the highest standard of proof prosecutors face in American criminal courts. It means the jurors believe there is no other logical explanation for what happened than the defendant is guilty. If faced with two plausible explanations for what happened, jurors are supposed to acquit.

"The danger facing George Zimmerman need not have been actual; however, to justify the use of deadly force, the appearance must have been so real that a reasonably cautious and prudent person ... would have believed the danger could be avoided only through the use of that force," the instruction read.

Jurors refused to talk to reporters after the verdict about how they reached their decision Saturday night. Their names are being kept secret until Judge Debra Nelson lifts an order protecting their identities.

After the verdict, Jacksonville State Attorney Angela Corey said the use of deadly force is often one of the toughest areas of the law for prosecutors. Gov. Rick Scott appointed her office to the case a few weeks after the shooting when local prosecutors didn't press charges.

She said that when a victim shoots a robber or rapist, the use of deadly force is clearly justifiable. In cases such as Zimmerman's, the lines get blurry.

"That's why this case was unique, in a sense, and that's why this case was difficult," she said.

Even defense attorneys, who use the law to their advantage, say the instruction for the justifiable use of deadly force can be confusing to jurors since there are so many elements to it. It's one of the longest instructions given jurors.

"The more complex the instruction, the more it benefits the defense," said Blaine McChesney, an Orlando defense attorney and former prosecutor with no connection to the Zimmerman case. "It's a very convoluted instruction, but it's the best they have."

REASONABLE DOUBT

Jurors were also told that reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's guilt could come from conflicting evidence or the lack of evidence.

Over three weeks of testimony, they received mounds of conflicting evidence and testimony of what happened on that rainy February 2012 night after Zimmerman spotted Martin walking in his townhouse complex after the teen bought Skittles candy and iced tea from a nearby 7-Eleven. He didn't recognize Martin, who lived in the Miami area and was visiting the home of his father's fiancée. The neighborhood had experienced burglaries and some people had reported the suspects seen fleeing were young black males, like Martin.

After calling police dispatchers, Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and followed Martin. He says Martin attacked him. Prosecutors disputed that. The evidence was unclear.

None of Zimmerman's neighbors saw or heard the entire fight, and eyewitnesses gave differing accounts of whether Zimmerman or Martin was on top. Martin's parents testified it was their son screaming for help on 911 calls made by Zimmerman's neighbors. Zimmerman's parents testified that no, it was their son. The fight ended seconds after the screams when Zimmerman fired one shot from his handgun into Martin's heart.

Zimmerman identifies as Hispanic. His mother is from Peru and his father is white. After the verdict, civil rights leader Al Sharpton asked the U.S. Justice Department to bring charges against Zimmerman for civil rights violations as it did against the Los Angeles police officers in the Rodney King police beating case two decades ago.

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous concurred and started a petition calling for federal charges.

"The most fundamental of civil rights — the right to life — was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin," Jealous wrote in the petition, posted on the website MoveOn.org and addressed to Attorney General Eric Holder.

Holder may address the matter when he talks to NAACP members Tuesday at their national convention in Orlando.

But federal law probably doesn't apply, said David Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor in Miami. Unlike the police officers in the King case, Zimmerman wasn't acting "under color of law."

There also is little basis to charge Zimmerman with a federal hate crime, Weinstein said, since prosecutors would have to show that he shot and killed Martin primarily because of the teen's race. Nothing in the state trial suggested it was a racially motivated crime, he said.

"Under the law, there is no basis for them to file any charges," Weinstein said about the Department of Justice.

Under public pressure, he added, the Justice Department may send lawyers to Florida to investigate the case so they can write a report that says "there was nothing there."

"That may satisfy people," Weinstein said.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #4937 : July 14, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362102/Pennsylvania-teens-save-year-old-girl-kidnapping-chasing-kidnappers-car-BIKES.html

Pennsylvania teens chase down kidnapper's car on their BIKES and save five-year-old girl

Jocelyn Rojas, five, was kidnapped from her front yard yesterday afternoon
Temar Boggs, 15, and a friend were riding bikes when they spotted the child in a car
They tailed the car for 15 minutes until the girl was let out of the car
Police are searching for the kidnapper, a man between 50 and 70 years old

By Alex Greig

Two Pennsylvania teens are being hailed as heroes after they chased down a man in a car who had snatched a five-year-old girl from her grandmother's front yard - on their bikes.

Jocelyn Rojas, five, was missing for two hours yesterday when Temar Boggs and a friend saw the child in a car near Lancaster Township and gave chase.

After Boggs, 15, and his friend had been tailing the vehicle for 15 minutes, the driver let the little girl out of the car and sped off.

Now that the little girl is safely back with her family, police are focusing on finding the suspect.

Jocelyn Rojas was playing in the front yard of her grandmother's home on the 100 block of Jennings Drive in Lancaster Township when she disappeared at about 4:35pm Thursday.

The family notified police and officers sprang into action, blocking off streets and scouring the area with canine units. Police showed Jocelyn's picture around the neighborhood and Boggs and his friend joined more than 100 first responders searching for the girl.

Boggs spottted the girl in the abductor's car and he and his friend began to follow the car.

The high school student said the little girl ran towards him when she got out of the car.

'If he wasn't going to stop, I was probably going to like, jump on the car,' Boggs told ABC6.

Boggs said the suspect would turn around to see if they were still following him after they began to give chase.

'As soon as the guy started noticing that we were chasing him, he stopped at the end of the hill and let her out, and she ran to me and said that she needed her mom,' he said.

Boggs took the little girl to the police and they contacted her frantic mother and family.

Police say the teens may have scared the abductor into giving the girl up and their bravery is being praised by the girl's family and police.

'He's our hero': The little girl's family express their gratitude to the teenager who found Jocelyn Rojas

Sergeant Jeff Jones told WGAL, 'It is possible this individual saw the boys following him and it is possible he got nervous. We don't know that for sure; I'd sure like to find out,' he said.

Jocelyn Rojas' grandmother Tracey Clay was overcome with gratitude to Boggs.

'Thank you. You're our hero,' she said hugging and kissing him.

'He's our hero. I mean, there's no words to say,' she told WGAL.

'You see the amber alerts and you think, "I feel for that family." But when you're in that situation. Oh my god, it's horrible,' she said.

'It’s just something you don’t wish on anybody. Horrible, horrible thoughts flashed through my mind.'

Police say the male suspect drove the girl in a maroon, burgundy or purple-colored sedan, most likely a Chevy, almost half a mile from her home.

The latest reports say he had offered to buy the child ice-cream and had driven towards an ice-cream parlor.

It's not clear where the man had taken Jocelyn in the intervening hours between the discovery she was missing and Temar Boggs' spotting of her in the kidnapper's car.

WGAL reports the man was wearing green shoes and green pants with a red and white striped shirt at the time of the abduction, and that he walks with a limp. He is believed to be aged between 50 and 70 years old.

ufcguy32

Starter

« #4938 : July 14, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »

yes its a tragedy but this kid was not exactly mr innocent either.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #4939 : July 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »

Those kids should have called police and then sat on their bikes and waited for them to arrive,

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #4940 : July 14, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

Notice which way the blood 'flows' from the wounds--- out towards his ears...
which can only mean ONE THING-- Zimmerman was ON TOP leaning forward while he was bleeding (which also means he was out of immediate danger if he claims he was getting smashed into the cement)

Dammit you're a genius dude. Wonder how the highly trained State Prosecutors didn't pick up on this one?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4941 : July 14, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »

You said it yourself and now you need to examine this on a personal level.

I am going to assume that you are over 17 and did some stupid stuff. And fighting might have been a part of it. It was for me from time to time.

So he got into a fight and got shot.

But he was a KID. You said it yourself. And kids sometimes learn to be responsible ADULTS. This KID will never get that chance, and his rents are never going to get that blessing either.

So shove it.

Be a HUMAN and know how to think.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4942 : July 14, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »

The ONLY reason people are ticked that the kid was killed and the "white" guy got off is because he's black.

Are you kidding me?

-------------------------------------------------------

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4943 : July 14, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »

The ONLY reason people are ticked that the kid was killed and the "white" guy got off is because he's black.

Are you kidding me?
We are only a few generations removed from having ancestors that lived through some seriously evil times. I imagine hell is packed with a lot of southern accent having scumbags. I digress. What I meant to say was, "I think he wasn't kidding." SMH.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4944 : July 14, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »

Are you kidding me?
We are only a few generations removed from having ancestors that lived through some seriously evil times. I imagine hell is packed with a lot of southern accent having scumbags. I digress. What I meant to say was, "I think he wasn't kidding." SMH.

Surely, there are no white people outraged that a kid was murdered and his killer went unpunished.

-------------------------------------------------------

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4945 : July 14, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

GZ is a fat turd.

And he went into a situation that went tragic. How many if you guys would have done what fat turd GZ did?  Yeah, I thought so...

And I am talking the ENTIRE event. I you say you would, you have problems.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #4946 : July 14, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »

Dammit you're a genius dude. Wonder how the highly trained State Prosecutors didn't pick up on this one?

;) ;) ;)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #4947 : July 14, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »

You said it yourself and now you need to examine this on a personal level.

I am going to assume that you are over 17 and did some stupid stuff. And fighting might have been a part of it. It was for me from time to time.

So he got into a fight and got shot.

But he was a KID. You said it yourself. And kids sometimes learn to be responsible ADULTS. This KID will never get that chance, and his rents are never going to get that blessing either.

So shove it.

Be a HUMAN and know how to think.

Well said, Boid.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #4948 : July 14, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »

BTW - it was just confirmed on CNN that Zimmerman will be able to defend a civil case with a stand your ground defense.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #4949 : July 14, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362102/Pennsylvania-teens-save-year-old-girl-kidnapping-chasing-kidnappers-car-BIKES.html

Pennsylvania teens chase down kidnapper's car on their BIKES and save five-year-old girl

Jocelyn Rojas, five, was kidnapped from her front yard yesterday afternoon
Temar Boggs, 15, and a friend were riding bikes when they spotted the child in a car
They tailed the car for 15 minutes until the girl was let out of the car
Police are searching for the kidnapper, a man between 50 and 70 years old

By Alex Greig

Two Pennsylvania teens are being hailed as heroes after they chased down a man in a car who had snatched a five-year-old girl from her grandmother's front yard - on their bikes.

Jocelyn Rojas, five, was missing for two hours yesterday when Temar Boggs and a friend saw the child in a car near Lancaster Township and gave chase.

After Boggs, 15, and his friend had been tailing the vehicle for 15 minutes, the driver let the little girl out of the car and sped off.

Now that the little girl is safely back with her family, police are focusing on finding the suspect.

Jocelyn Rojas was playing in the front yard of her grandmother's home on the 100 block of Jennings Drive in Lancaster Township when she disappeared at about 4:35pm Thursday.

The family notified police and officers sprang into action, blocking off streets and scouring the area with canine units. Police showed Jocelyn's picture around the neighborhood and Boggs and his friend joined more than 100 first responders searching for the girl.

Boggs spottted the girl in the abductor's car and he and his friend began to follow the car.

The high school student said the little girl ran towards him when she got out of the car.

'If he wasn't going to stop, I was probably going to like, jump on the car,' Boggs told ABC6.

Boggs said the suspect would turn around to see if they were still following him after they began to give chase.

'As soon as the guy started noticing that we were chasing him, he stopped at the end of the hill and let her out, and she ran to me and said that she needed her mom,' he said.

Boggs took the little girl to the police and they contacted her frantic mother and family.

Police say the teens may have scared the abductor into giving the girl up and their bravery is being praised by the girl's family and police.

'He's our hero': The little girl's family express their gratitude to the teenager who found Jocelyn Rojas

Sergeant Jeff Jones told WGAL, 'It is possible this individual saw the boys following him and it is possible he got nervous. We don't know that for sure; I'd sure like to find out,' he said.

Jocelyn Rojas' grandmother Tracey Clay was overcome with gratitude to Boggs.

'Thank you. You're our hero,' she said hugging and kissing him.

'He's our hero. I mean, there's no words to say,' she told WGAL.

'You see the amber alerts and you think, "I feel for that family." But when you're in that situation. Oh my god, it's horrible,' she said.

'It’s just something you don’t wish on anybody. Horrible, horrible thoughts flashed through my mind.'

Police say the male suspect drove the girl in a maroon, burgundy or purple-colored sedan, most likely a Chevy, almost half a mile from her home.

The latest reports say he had offered to buy the child ice-cream and had driven towards an ice-cream parlor.

It's not clear where the man had taken Jocelyn in the intervening hours between the discovery she was missing and Temar Boggs' spotting of her in the kidnapper's car.

WGAL reports the man was wearing green shoes and green pants with a red and white striped shirt at the time of the abduction, and that he walks with a limp. He is believed to be aged between 50 and 70 years old.

don't be a race baiter   ;)

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"
  Page: 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 ... 383
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools