Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 399

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #15 : March 22, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »

Just to put things into perspective, and to throw out a question.

Translation:
Please allow me to change the topic then reframe the debate thereby creating an analogy that is otherwise unrelated.

Real Translation:
Black on black crime doesn't warrant so much as batting an eyelid by those stirring the pudding.

Okay, so now you have finally admitted that you have an agenda. Why not start a thread on black on black crime.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : March 22, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »

It's related, and legitimate IMO. And considering how some threads go off the reservation; mine was a minor deviation.

You want to use this as an opportunity to attack the civil rights crowd.

Yes and no, not per se. It is also related to my 'deviation.' I think there are at the very least grounds to look further into this incident. Yet I feel that trying to politicize it and make it into a racial incident, which I do not think it is, is going to take away from the public support and sympathy. That in turn could detract from the possibility of true justice being served.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #17 : March 22, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

It's related, and legitimate IMO. And considering how some threads go off the reservation; mine was a minor deviation.

Yes and no, not per se. It is also related to my 'deviation.' I think there are at the very least grounds to look further into this incident. Yet I feel that trying to politicize it and make it into a racial incident, which I do not think it is, is going to take away from the public support and sympathy. That in turn could detract from the possibility of true justice being served.

Well it's not as though they are pulling the racial factor from their butts.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #18 : March 22, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »

How much did it make your ass pucker when you came up w/ that? On the bright side I am thrilled to see you don't  think it should a be racial incident or anything.
makin' progress ???

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : March 22, 2012, 03:22:28 PM »

I have heard that a dozen or so times, and whatever it is he said started with a P.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #20 : March 22, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

Amazing how one word could change the dynamics of this entire case. (From local to federal)

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #21 : March 22, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

I have heard that a dozen or so times, and whatever it is he said started with a P.

**CENSORED**ing poon? Plausible, I suppose. Maybe in the middle of the chase he suddenly realized he was gay, and was expressing his hate for vagina's. Makes much more sense than the other word. The one that starts with a "c", commonly used as a slur for people who share certain characteristics of the person he was chasing.

;)

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #22 : March 22, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

Maybe in the middle of the chase he suddenly realized he was gay, and was expressing his hate for vagina's.

;)

Dude, THAT is hilarious I can hardly breath!

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #23 : March 22, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »

Maybe in the middle of the chase he suddenly realized he was gay, and was expressing his hate for vagina's.

;)

Dude, THAT is hilarious I can hardly breath!

Thank you, my good man!

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #24 : March 22, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »

I am glad you guys feel good about yourselves.

In the interests of objectivity I attended the rally tonight and listened to EVERYTHING that was said. I left feeling substantiated that this has turned into a political issue rather than a justice issue. That is and has been my only point.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #25 : March 22, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »

There are two primary issues. The first involves the "Stand Your Ground" law and what it reads and how it is being applied. The second is Zimmerman's state of mind before the shooting.

Just for the record, Spartan.  You are the one that brought up "race and politics"
« : March 22, 2012, 11:39:53 PM Durango 95 »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #26 : March 22, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »

I am glad you guys feel good about yourselves.

In the interests of objectivity I attended the rally tonight and listened to EVERYTHING that was said. I left feeling substantiated that this has turned into a political issue rather than a justice issue. That is and has been my only point.

You seem to be overly concerned about those who you feel are politicizing the issue, so much so, that you are even trying to rationalize Zimmerman's actions in an effort to discredit their position. It just seems to me as though you have a vested interest in Zimmerman not being a racist, because if he is, your point becomes less valid. In your efforts to call into question the purity of their position, it calls into question the purity of your own. That's my point.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #27 : March 23, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »

and have the local law enforcement agency just accept that with no due process.

You mis-typed right? I mean you're not suggesting the neighborhood watch guys rights were violated, are you?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #28 : March 23, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »

There are two primary issues. The first involves the "Stand Your Ground" law and what it reads and how it is being applied. The second is Zimmerman's state of mind before the shooting.

Just for the record, Spartan.  You are the one that brought up "race and politics"

There is clearly a racial element in this. There shouldn't be but there is or they'd not be dredging up the civil rights violation stuff with the Feds.

As you said, the stand your ground law and what can be proved appear to be the biggest issue in terms of a state prosecution. If the statute doesn't have come sort of "you caused ther confrontation" language then even though Zimmerman chased the kid down and basically started the fight under Florida law he might have the right to end it...even with deadly force.

As to his state of mind, everything I read, his actions and words say that Zimmerman was a cop wannabe who was likely looking for a chance to pull the trigger on someone.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #29 : March 23, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »

Florida legislators, however, insist the Stand Your Ground law does not provide a defense for people like Zimmerman, who pursue and confront someone. Florida Senator Durrell Peadon, who sponsored the law, said that Zimmerman “has no protection under my law.” According to state Representative Dennis Baxley, “There’s nothing in this statute that authorizes you to pursue and confront people.” The law, Baxley notes, was designed only “to prevent you from being attacked by other people.”

The problem is that nothing in Peadon and Baxley’s law says this. It provides that any person may use deadly force when “he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.” So long as someone reasonably thinks he or someone else is in danger, he can shoot to kill, regardless of whether the shooter is the one who initiated the hostile confrontation.

Indeed, given the law’s authorization of the use of deadly force to protect other people and, as the law also provides, “to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony,” Florida’s law unambiguously authorizes people to pursue and confront others. Whatever the merits of standing your ground when personally threatened, Florida’s law goes much further and encourages vigilantism. It tells people, who today are increasingly likely to be carrying concealed weapons, that they can pretend to be police officers and use their guns to protect and serve the broader public.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 399
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools