Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He's Baaaaaack! The Official PGA Golf Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 20

-ts

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 04, 2012, 12:41:42 PM

One thing I absolutely love is how the media treats the Tiger story. If he has one bad shot they immediately crucify him. However he gets on a roll and they all flock to him. Understandable given the enormity of the story he brings and the fact that he is still the most electric name in golf.

Meanwhile Rory McIlroy has missed 3 straight cuts with hardly even a mention. Pretty incredible.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#16 : June 04, 2012, 12:43:56 PM

The chip in was stunning... vintage Woods.
That was an incredible shot.

He looked so smooth out there today. Closest he has been to "vintage Tiger".
Only question that I see is his driver... didn't see that much of it and what I did see was iffy.  Could have been conditions - but it won't get easier at Olympic.
I agree. However his swing after he hit "the shot", was so confident. If that carries over, I don't think it will matter what club is in his hands. All he has ever needed is to trust what he is doing. He was great because of confidence, if he gets that back, it could be a quick ride back to number 1.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 04, 2012, 12:47:00 PM

One thing I absolutely love is how the media treats the Tiger story. If he has one bad shot they immediately crucify him. However he gets on a roll and they all flock to him. Understandable given the enormity of the story he brings and the fact that he is still the most electric name in golf.

Meanwhile Rory McIlroy has missed 3 straight cuts with hardly even a mention. Pretty incredible.

McIlroy isn't an American for one and the spectacular fall of Tiger Woods and now the "attempt to climb back to the top" is a much bigger story.  I'm sure that McIlroy's missed cuts have been mentioned on telecasts.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 04, 2012, 12:48:39 PM

Is there a thread for McIlroy?

-ts

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 04, 2012, 12:55:04 PM

McIlroy isn't an American for one and the spectacular fall of Tiger Woods and now the "attempt to climb back to the top" is a much bigger story.  I'm sure that McIlroy's missed cuts have been mentioned on telecasts.
Oh I understand the difference in the 2, and the 2 different stories.

I'm just bringing up the point that the kid that was appointed the next great thing in golf has missed 3 straight cuts, and you will really not hear anything about it. I watched a lot of the tournament this weekend and I don't really remember them mentioning it. I'm sure they did once or twice that I didn't hear, but still.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#20 : June 04, 2012, 12:57:22 PM

Tiger missed something like 8 cuts in his career  - Rory 3 in 3 weeks. The next young golfer to carry the torch falls by the waysside. Double standard for sure.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 04, 2012, 04:47:05 PM

:'(

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 04, 2012, 04:50:04 PM

Apparently they didn't get the memo about not discussing Rory's woes:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/story/2012-06-01/Rory-McIlroy-misses-third-consecutive-cut/55335334/1

-ts

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 04, 2012, 04:53:38 PM

Congrats, you found an article about it!

Very proud of you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 04, 2012, 04:58:51 PM

Don't get mad

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 04, 2012, 06:20:49 PM

The golf pundits were trashing TW earlier this season.  but this week, I expect the same ones to be on his bandwagon for the upcoming US Open.

TW is 6-1 fav to win US Open. Nearest competitor is double that. Idiots here (Briggs5353) laughed their assess off whenTW missed a cut or WD'd yet were silent when golf's number one player missed three cuts.
Woods played like crap for a good long while.  Not just his swing - but his mental approach.  Those who you mock for not bowing towards him a few times a day were right, he spent a good long while at SUCK.  Now he is swinging better, the new swing is enabling him to play - his old one tore his knee apart.  When he isn't hurt the space between his ears enables him to play at a level very few have reached.  We will see if he can carry it to the course at Olympic... hope he can bc he is good for the game.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

-ts

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 04, 2012, 08:15:02 PM

Don't get mad
Not getting mad, just funny.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 04, 2012, 08:31:19 PM

Don't get mad

I agree.  I thought this line from the article was the funniest:

And his ears will probably be burning as critics are expected to unload on McIlroy just as they did a week ago,

Apparently, the "critics" didn't get the memo last week either ....

-ts

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 04, 2012, 08:48:23 PM

Don't get mad

I agree.  I thought this line from the article was the funniest:

And his ears will probably be burning as critics are expected to unload on McIlroy just as they did a week ago,

Apparently, the "critics" didn't get the memo last week either ....
You can quote that article all you want, doesn't mean the critics really did. I mean of course it has taken some notice, but again if this was Tiger missing 3 cuts in a row the media storm would be unbearable. That to any sports fan is a fact.

Of course Tiger has a lot more baggage to add to those stories, but just a little while back Rory was quickly heading to be crowned the next great player. Now here we are.

I mean hate on Tiger all you want, but the guy is great for golf, just look at the TV ratings when he is playing.

It would be good for golf if he reclaimed his spot atop the sport. He is the best player I have ever watched, and undoubtedly is still one of the top 5-10 players playing right now, even when he hasn't been a top his game.

And I stand by what I said, last week watching the tournament, Rory was basically forgotten. There hasn't been a tournament in over the past decade where Tiger has been, good or bad. Let's not let a little hate for the guy make every other players struggles not matter.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 04, 2012, 09:35:23 PM

So you want them to spend the 3rd and final rounds talking about someone that isn't there while the "guy who is great for golf" is making a run at the tournament championship?   lol, talk about warped logic.

I'm not dogging Tiger, if anything I am dogging the OP and I guess you since you want to make this ridiculous argument.

By the way, do yourself a favor and look up the difference between fact and opinion.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He's Baaaaaack! The Official PGA Golf Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools