Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012 Movies to See. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Ron Swanson

Starter

: April 14, 2012, 03:23:56 PM

I'm a big fan of movies, and one of my favorite things is going to the theater to see films, I'm actually working on my thesis for my MFA in screenwriting and directing right now, so I thought i'd give my top movies I'm looking forward to for 2012, let me know your top choices too!

2012 Movies I want to see:

1. The Dark Knight Rises director: Christopher Nolan

I thought the Dark Knight was extremely well-done, gritty, exhilarating, epic, not to mention the amazing performance by Heath Ledger. I'm excited for TDKR, because it introduces Bane (the villain that broke Batman's back), and from what I saw in the 4 minute opening before MI4, Bane is a total bad*ss. This final chapter of Nolan's Batman should be interesting, time has passed from when Batman took the fall for the city, and peace has come to Gotham. Of course that's about to change with Bane and even Catwoman coming to town. The fact that Batman might even die, brings such an edge to this film, I expect it to be a powerful end to the trilogy. I don't think Nolan will fall or let us down and I know, from his other films (Inception, The Prestige, Memento, etc.), that he just loves making movies, is a perfectionist, and in my opinion has yet to make a bad film. TDKR will be gold.

trailer:

2. the Hobbit (part 1) director: Peter Jackson

Though I cannot just sit down and watch them all the time, I think Jackson's Lord of the Rings are one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces in film history. Just from a production standpoint, and when looking at the complexity of the mythology, world, and landscape of the books, it's amazing what Jackson did, not to mention they were extremely entertaining. I'm glad he is back to direct the Hobbit, and though I've never been as fond of the Hobbit's storyline as I was of LOTR's, I doubt Peter Jackson will disappoint.

trailer:

3. Prometheus director: Ridley Scott

When I first heard about the project, I heard it was a origin story of Alien, and I was like... uh oh here we go again another Alien vs Predator. Then I read more about it and that Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator) was attached to direct so I got interested because, Scott's Alien and Blade Runner are two of the quintessential sci fi films of all time. After seeing the trailer, I am pretty much hooked, and have a feeling it will be awesome.

trailer:

4. Only God Forgives director: Nicholas Refn

I've only seen one film from Refn, last years indie-thriller Drive, starring Ryan Gosling, and I was blown away. I have high hopes for this next collaboration between Refn and Gosling, which stars Gosling in a boxing thriller set in Tawaiin. I know little about the movie, but Refn's slick, beautiful, and exhilarating Euro-style directing in Drive matched with Ryan Gosling (I think one of the best actors working right now) who shows enormous talent not only on screen put in picking scripts, makes this an intriguing film. I think this will end up being a gut-punch (pun intended) of a thriller, and a nice divergence from Hollywood.

5. The Kid with a Bike director: the Dardenne Brothers

Another divergence from Hollywood, this intimate french film by Dutch filmmakers Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne won Best Picture at Cannes and Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globes this past year, and is currently making its way into American theaters. The story follows a young boy who's been abandoned by his father and makes a friend with a local hairdresser, who takes him under her wing and cares for him, as he deals with the anger of his father's abandonment. It sounds kinda boring on the surface, and coming from the Dardenne Brothers who've made films like The Son and L'Enfant, both slow moving intimate character studies, this wont be a movie for everyone. If you are interested in French cinema, and powerful, deeply affecting character-studies, this will probably be a winner. L'Enfant is one of my favorite films, and I think The Kid with a Bike has a chance to be a masterpiece and harken back to other French classics like Truffaut's The 400 Blows and De Sica's Bicycle Thieves.

Trailer:

6. Moonrise Kingdom director: Wes Anderson

I've always had a deep love of the quirky worlds and characters of Wes Anderson, ever since I saw Bottle Rocket. The premise is a pair of young adolescents in love run away from their small New England town, which erupts a town-wide search party for the two. Like most Wes Anderson films, be prepared for a lighthearted jaunt, speckled with a quirky quasi-dark humor, a vibrant 1970s color pallet, absurd situations, a nostalgic soundtrack, a fantastic cast (Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Francis McDormand), and at the backbone, an emotional coming of age story.

trailer:

7. Gravity director: Alfonso Cuaron

This sci fi thriller is supposed going to "break boundaries" for filmmaking (whatever that means) according to the director. It stars George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, following a lone survivor of a Hubble satellite repair team that is trying to find their way back to Earth to their daughter. Cuaron's Children of Men was brutal, thrilling, and beautiful, and I have to believe in Cuaron when he says Gravity will be groundbreaking. I am a big sci-fi lover (as you can tell from this list), and I hope this film might be a mix between Danny Boyle's Sunshine and Tarkovskiy's Solaris.

8. Argo director: Ben Affleck

As much as we liked to make fun of Ben Affleck in the 2000's, I think he silenced his critics by directing two powerful films in Gone Baby Gone and the Town. His next film, Argo takes on more dark dramatic material about the true story of the 1979 Iran Hostage crisis, following the group of hostages that escape by pretending to be the crew of a fake movie. The cast is brilliant, including Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), John Goodman, Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights), and Affleck himself. I'm guessing this will have Oscar potential.

9. Lincoln director: Steven Spielberg

This biopic about Abraham Lincoln looks like it will be rock solid. Even though I love history, I'm not the biggest fan of biopics, but the fact that Spielberg is directing, and Daniel Day Lewis is playing Honest Abe, I am more than intrigue. Throw in Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Tommy Lee Jones, and this cast is a powerhouse, and another film probably looking for some Oscar nods.

10. The Cabin in the Woods director: Drew Goddard

I'm not the biggest fan of Horror, unless it's of the slower gothic ghost story type, and I'm fresh off of two bleh Horror movies in The Lady in Black and Silent House already in 2012... but I think there might be hope. The Cabin in the Woods produced by Joss Whedon, looks like a original take on the Horror genre and has rave reviews so far (93% on Rotten Tomatoes). Opening this weekend, this subversive horror film, follows five beautiful 20-something year olds into a cabin in the woods, when bad things start to happen. Sounds like typical Hollywood Horror fare? Yes, that's the point. From what I've heard the film takes all the cliches of the Horror/Slasher genre and throws them on their head. It's supposedly funny, scary, and has lots of twists. I'm in.

trailer:

11. Looper director: Rian Johnson

I saved one of the films I'm most excited for, for last. I love Rian Johnson as a director. I love Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis as actors. I love time travel movies. This sci-fi thriller stars Joseph Gordon Levitt is a Looper, an assassin in the past who eliminates/kills targets that are sent from the future by mob organizations. Levitt though lets one target get away, his future self (played by Bruce Willis), and must decide whether to go through with the killing or face the wrath of his employers. It's an intriguing premise that looks like it will be an action thriller with brains. If you've seen Rian Johnson's Brick or the Brother's Bloom you know he has a love of noir-like twists and turns, and great handle on drama, character and humor. Adding to Johnson's talent's are Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis, and I don't see how this could be bad.

trailer:

movies I've seen already this year: The Hunger Games (7.5/10), 21 Jump Street (7.5/10), the Lady in Black (6/10), Silent House (5.5/10), Chronicle (7/10)

what films are you looking forward too?
: April 14, 2012, 03:43:22 PM filmfreeman5

\"When I eat it is the food that is scared.\" -R.S.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 14, 2012, 08:24:42 PM

Prometheus and Batman are the big ones I've been looking forward to for awhile. I'll also probably check out Spider-man and Total Recall. Recently saw Hunger Games and was a lot better than I thought it would be.

The Raven and Avengers im not so sure about.

J-Train

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 14, 2012, 09:28:11 PM

Most excited about Prometheus! I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

Looper looks amazing.

Total Recall is one of my favorite movies of all time (I love Paul Verhoeven movies) the new one looks OK and normally I hate reboots but Ill go watch it.

Ill pass on Spiderman, Avengers.

Im interested in the new Batman movie (heard it was supposed to be rated R, I hate movies that are PG-13 just to sell ticket *Cough* Die Hard 4 *cough*)

I went and watched The Lady in Black and thought it was good. I was happy to see Hammer Films back making movies, and the Lady in Black reminded me of the old Hammer films from back in the day.

Thanks for the sig Java!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 15, 2012, 04:05:10 PM

I saw Lady In Black with the wife and we thought it was very weak.

Saw Cabin in the Woods and we liked it.

Finally saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and we both liked it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 15, 2012, 04:29:34 PM

Prometheus is my #1.
Django Unchained is next.
Skyfall and Gravity are up on my list.
I have some interest in the Oliver Stone flick "Savages"

The Hunger Games was lame IMO.

I probably will check out Dark Knight Rises and Avengers

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 15, 2012, 04:38:02 PM

Finally saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and we both liked it.

Movie is about as good as it is able to get for a film adaption but left out tons of details from the book.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 17, 2012, 05:22:15 AM

Funny I thought the adaption of LOTR was far from a "cinematic masterpiece" and more like a steaming pile of dung hiding behind some reasonably good CGI.  I can't wait until a morev talented team takes it on.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 17, 2012, 07:43:19 AM

No one is excited about the 3 Stooges?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 17, 2012, 10:30:43 AM

I saw the Three Stooges this past weekend with the kids and it was surprisingly funny!  Very true to the slapstick humor of the original stooges, this movie does a great job with very good actors and supporting cast including Larry David...

Tobias Funke

Starter
#9 : April 17, 2012, 11:50:48 AM

If there are any action fans out there, please go see The Raid Redemption. Its a very simple story, which would normally annoy me, but they don't try to make it anything more than it really is: 1 hour and 40 minutes of non-stop adrenaline. If anybody loves films like Ip Man or Ong Bok, where you have 5-10 minute scenes of nothing but martial arts, then you will absolutely love this movie.

J-Train

Pro Bowler

#10 : April 17, 2012, 12:01:26 PM

If there are any action fans out there, please go see The Raid Redemption. Its a very simple story, which would normally annoy me, but they don't try to make it anything more than it really is: 1 hour and 40 minutes of non-stop adrenaline. If anybody loves films like Ip Man or Ong Bok, where you have 5-10 minute scenes of nothing but martial arts, then you will absolutely love this movie.

This movie looks great! It reminds me of The Protector.

Thanks for the sig Java!

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : April 23, 2012, 09:03:58 AM

Wow, I'm shocked you guys actually knew about this movie.   This is an Indonesian movie.    It's the first one ever made in Indonesia that made it outside the country it seems.

Tobias Funke

Starter
#12 : April 23, 2012, 12:10:48 PM

Wow, I'm shocked you guys actually knew about this movie.   This is an Indonesian movie.    It's the first one ever made in Indonesia that made it outside the country it seems.
Its playing in a lot of theaters over here in Orlando. I thought it was masterfully done in terms of its fight choreography and cinematography.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#13 : April 23, 2012, 12:12:02 PM

Really amazing that it made it to the US.   I saw it here in the theaters and there were no English subtitles.   Were there English subtitles at the one you saw?

Tobias Funke

Starter
#14 : April 23, 2012, 12:13:17 PM

Really amazing that it made it to the US.   I saw it here in the theaters and there were no English subtitles.   Were there English subtitles at the one you saw?
Yeah, definitely.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012 Movies to See. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools