Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCoy......."People running the ball on us it's not going to happen" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 19, 2012, 12:31:30 AM

McCoy eager to lead by example

CHIRS URSO/STAFF
Buccaneers' Gerald McCoy, left, was an observer for most of Tampa Bay's 10-game losing streak last year.

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune
Published:  April 19, 2012 - 12:00 AM

TAMPA --
In Gerald McCoy's perfect world, the third-year defensive tackle of the Buccaneers will be disruptive on game day and an ambassador for new head coach Greg Schiano off the field.

Since being selected with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2010 draft, McCoy has struggled to stay healthy. A biceps tear in each arm cost him 13 games in his first two NFL seasons and Tampa Bay is 3-10 without McCoy in uniform.

With McCoy suited up, the Bucs are 11-8.

"I feel great," McCoy said after Wednesday's workout session. "I put in a lot of work this offseason. I went back to San Diego and trained with Todd Durkin and it got me right. I'm getting there. I'm practicing already and by training camp, I'll be 110 percent."

McCoy was an observer for most of Tampa Bay's 10-game losing streak that ended the 2011 season, prompting the dismissal of Raheem Morris.

Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer said Schiano's arrival ushers in a "culture change" at One Buc Place and McCoy already notices the difference.

"He's definitely re-established order," McCoy said. "You can kind of tell we lost a little discipline and order around here, but he's re-established it very well and he's made it very clear that there will be order. Nobody in the building is exempt. If we're going to turn this thing around, it has to be the whole organization, not just players and coaches."

Schiano's focus on accountability is welcomed by McCoy, who is eager to help by defusing potential issues in the locker room before they reach the command center.

Even at the age of 24, McCoy openly embraces a leadership role.

"This is nothing new to me," McCoy said. "I came from the University of Oklahoma and coach (Bob) Stoops. There's nothing but order there. This is what I'm used to, so I love it. When they drafted me, that's what I was brought here to be and that's what I love being. I'm not really a follower-type guy. I'm just a natural leader."

McCoy's first job is to lead by example.

En route to a 4-12 finish, the Bucs were last in the league in rushing defense. Given Schiano's background as a defensive coach before going to Rutgers in 2001, stopping the run looms as a top priority.

"It really takes discipline to play this defense and it's going to eliminate a lot of the mistakes we've had in the past," said McCoy, who has 39 tackles and four sacks heading into his third pro season. "We can't get a real view of it yet, but I think it'll be great for us."

McCoy and fellow defensive tackles Brian Price and recent free-agent pickup Amobi Okoye will be asked to shed blockers and knife into the backfield, making it easier for teammates to make stops near the line of scrimmage.

A year ago, Tampa Bay opponents averaged five rushing attempts per game that gained at least 10 yards.

"It's not that every gap is filled, it's like every gap is destroyed in some way," McCoy said of the emerging defensive scheme. "People running the ball on us it's not going to happen. That's his (Schiano) mentality and that's how our defense is set up. I'm just going to do what I do, get up the field and mess something up."

youngone

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 19, 2012, 12:37:42 AM

I'm expecting a big year from McCoy.  Hopefully the dline lives up to the potential and gets rolling early in the season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 19, 2012, 12:38:06 AM

McCoy is all mouth. 

Tired of hearing him yap.

Just STFU and stop being a quote, and just go out and kick azz without telling us how you are going to do it.

Seriously...when Sapp ran his mouth, you listened.  Because he DID whathe said he was going to do.

WhenMcCoy runs his mouth, i think of Jeff Faine.  And how McCoy calls everyone a "beast".  Just...damn...put you rmoney where your mouth is.  And hold up a sign for me when you actually do it, wouldya? 

What the hell else is he going to say? He should just be quiet.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 19, 2012, 12:39:20 AM

39 tackles and four sacks for a pick like McCoy...damn...SMH...

He isn't helping anyone around him either.  No sacks, no pressure. 

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#4 : April 19, 2012, 12:49:55 AM

People interview him, he's going to talk. I'm sure some would like if he had no personality at all and just shut up until he gets a 10 sack season, but a former 3rd pick in the draft and supposed leader is going to have to do interviews and stuff.

I like what I hear about the defense. The numbers don't show it, but McCoy is disruptive when he's on the field.....until his injury last yearhe had more pressures than Suh did. The first Falcon game and the Colts game were pretty easily 2 of the best performances by a DT since Sapp in Tampa. He needs to stay healthy and keep it up. And he can.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 19, 2012, 12:52:53 AM

"So Gerald, what do you think about the new coaching staff?"

"I'm not allowed to talk about any of that until I'm a perennial Pro Bowler, sorry guys. Red Board rules."

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 19, 2012, 12:54:32 AM

McCoy is all mouth. 

Just STFU and stop being a quote, and just go out and kick azz without telling us how you are going to do it.

Seriously...when Sapp ran his mouth, you listened.  Because he DID whathe said he was going to do.

WhenMcCoy runs his mouth, i think of Jeff Faine.  And how McCoy calls everyone a "beast".  Just...damn...put you rmoney where your mouth is.  And hold up a sign for me when you actually do it, wouldya? 

Yeah, he's made promises before where he didn't deliver. Until he does it, he's just annoying.

In Verner We Trust

tog

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 19, 2012, 12:57:24 AM

McCoy is all mouth. 

Yeah, he's made promises before where he didn't deliver. Until he does it, he's just annoying.

Yessir.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 19, 2012, 12:57:42 AM

McCoy is all mouth. 

Faine like.

You can be interviewed, but you can give vanilla answers that will be validated by on field performance.

He hasn't lived up to his draft status, at all.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 19, 2012, 01:05:53 AM

He doesn't just talk like this when he is interviewed, he offers it up unsolicited.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 19, 2012, 01:15:22 AM

Yawn.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 19, 2012, 01:16:50 AM

Yawn.
I know, right?

youngone

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 19, 2012, 01:19:25 AM

"So Gerald, what do you think about the new coaching staff?"

"I'm not allowed to talk about any of that until I'm a perennial Pro Bowler, sorry guys. Red Board rules."
Lol. Sad isn't it?

Ppl forget that the run defense was pretty good until McCoy hurt. he destroyed the run in that falcon game. I think Michael Turner only had 20 yards all game. I do agree that he needs to stay healthy but when McCoy is on the field lives in the backfield. If we get steady push from the ends McCoy's pressures will turn in to sacks real quick.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 19, 2012, 01:19:38 AM

Love to see what McCoy can do with a full year, and in Schiano's defense.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 19, 2012, 02:23:18 AM

Love to see what McCoy can do with a full year, and in Schiano's defense.

Gotta stay healthy though.   He is not even 100% right now.  But he says he will be by training camp.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCoy......."People running the ball on us it's not going to happen" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools