Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 26, 2012, 12:49:18 AM

Buccaneer Flashback: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History - Booker Reese

by JCDeLaTorre on Apr 25, 2012 6:00 PM EDT in NFL Draft

Booker Reese

As we steamroll toward the 2012 NFL draft, we take a brief look back into the annals of Buccaneer history to provide you the best and worst of the previous Tampa Bay Buccaneers drafts. These opinions are of the article's author and not intended to represent the consensus of all the staff of Buc Nation.

Throughout the history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there have been just some terrible misses in the NFL draft. Many of these occurred between 1980-94 when the franchise was mired in one of the worst runs in sports history. A lot of them occurred in the 2nd or 3rd round - which is as far back in the draft as we wanted to go to consider a bust (after all, if a 5th round pick doesn't amount to much, it's not really a bust - just a waste).

Of all of these bad apples, these are the ten I feel have been the worst picks in Franchise history.

List: 10 Worst Draft picks in Buccaneers History

Previously Listed:

10. Kenyatta Walker, 1st round, pick 14, 2001

9. Dexter Jackson, WR, 2nd round, pick 27, 2008

8. Dan Sileo, DT, 3rd Round, Supplemental, 1987

7. Charles McRae, T, 1st round, pick 7, 1991

6. Rod Jones, CB, 1st Round, pick 25, 1986

5. Gaines Adams, 1st round, pick 4, 2007

4. Bo Jackson, RB, 1st Round, 1st Overall, 1986

3. Eric Curry, DE, 1st Round, pick 6, 1993

2. Keith McCants, LB, 1st round, pick 4, 1990

Player: Booker Reese

Position: DE

Ranking:1st

Draft: 2nd round, pick 5, 1982

Oh the tantalizing, amazing story of Booker Reese. First, you have the war room fiasco. Personnell director Ken Herock told the representatives at the draft to write down two names - Sean Farrell and Booker Reese. The connection along the phone line was bad, so the representative just wrote down Farrell's name. After some debate, Herock decided to pick Reese, but again the connection was bad - so all the Bucs rep heard was "turn in the card."

When the Bucs made Farrell the 17th overall selection, the entire draft room erupted in shock. Owner Hugh Culverhouse screamed angrily, "If this ever gets out of this room - you're all fired!"

The Bucs went scrambling to rectify their mistake, trading their 1983 first round draft pick to Chicago for the fourth pick of the second round to take Reese.

After the draft, Herock said, "We don't think next year's (1983) draft will produce this kind of player for us. We don't believe it's risky. We have a whole year to develop Booker and we believe he'll be Pro Bowl level. He's got great potential."

When Reese got to Tampa Bay...well, let's just say he may have scored a negative number on the Wonderlic. As one story goes, Reese took his first NFL paycheck to a car dealer and handed it to a saleman. The salesman replied, "Um, Mr. Reese - this is way too much money."

Booker replied, "Just give me the change."

The Bucs desperately tried to develop Booker but Reese couldn't beat out veteran Dave Stalls. The next season, 3rd round pick John Cannon put Booker on the bench. In his final season in Tampa Bay, the Bucs briefly moved Booker to DT while David Logan held out. As soon as Logan returned, Reese was back on the bench - now third string behind Cannon and someone named Brinson Manor.

The problem for Reese is he simply failed to understand the intricacies of the pro game. At Bethune-Cookman, he could charge the quarterback like a rhino but in the NFL you had to read what the offense was doing and react. Booker couldn't do that. As the pressure mounted on him to produce as "The next Lee Roy", Reese developed a cocaine habit.

Reese would eventually be traded to the Los Angeles Rams in 1984 for a 12th round draft choice.

Oh that first round pick that went to the Bears? They selected Willie Gault. Also on the board when Gault was selected were six time Pro Bowl safety Joey Browner as well as Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Darrell Green.

Herock would be fired that year after head coach John McKay pointed the finger at him for the Reese shibacle.

Booker is without question the worst draft choice in Tampa Bay Buccaneer history.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/4/25/2967504/buccaneer-flashback-the-worst-draft-pick-in-tampa-bay-history-booker

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 26, 2012, 12:50:13 AM

Someone threw Sileo in there because they hate the guy...and his opinions.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 26, 2012, 01:23:18 AM

Someone threw Sileo in there because they hate the guy...and his opinions.

He did suck pretty bad on the field though.     sayin

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : April 26, 2012, 01:38:43 AM

I don't agree with that list, but I don't think Jasonofthetower is the best person to be writing articles about Bucs history.    Check out Paul Stewart's on bucpower.com.   He knows Bucs history.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 26, 2012, 01:48:43 AM

I don't agree with that list, but I don't think Jasonofthetower is the best person to be writing articles about Bucs history.    Check out Paul Stewart's on bucpower.com.   He knows Bucs history.

You can think of worse picks?    And don't say Josh Freeman.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 26, 2012, 01:55:27 AM

Josh Freeman.

Hmmmmm.... Now that you mention it....

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 26, 2012, 02:01:57 AM

Dexter Jackson should be top 3 on there. He did NOTHING for not only our team, but ANY team in the league. He was never heard of again. Plus the manner in which he played was even worse. I've seen 3rd graders less scared of contact.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 26, 2012, 02:04:33 AM

Josh Freeman.

Hmmmmm.... Now that you mention it....

Looks like he got it pretty well covered IMO.   Even got Dexter in there which I agree with.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 26, 2012, 03:23:28 AM

Man, Java is just a sorry poster.  Just troll troll troll.  Cannot stand that guy, and I would definitely throw my drink at him at a GTG, if I and he (hahahah) were ever at one...I love how he says, "I made you some sig pics", and that is why I should embrace his stupid posts.

Yeah.  That's it ace. 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 26, 2012, 03:41:54 AM

Looks like he got it pretty well covered IMO.   Even got Dexter in there which I agree with.

You don't know Buccaneer history either, so your opinion doesn't mean much.

If Dexter Jackson is on the list (and he was a late 2nd round pick), where is WR Danny Peebles on that list?    Peebles was every bit as bad as Dexter Jackson and Peebles was a very high 2nd round pick.   Peebles was the 33rd pick in the draft, Jackson was the 58th pick in the draft. 

I can tell you why Peebles isn't on that list, but Dexter was.    It's because the media doesn't ever mention Peebles these days so you guys didn't know who he was.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 26, 2012, 05:24:17 AM

I would definitely throw my drink at him at a GTG

Throw your drink?    I thought only women and gays did that.   Would you also swing your purse at me?
: April 26, 2012, 05:28:19 AM JavaRay

m_j

Starter

#11 : April 26, 2012, 05:26:52 AM

Bo was the bigest desaster with a lot of smoke, but we had a plenty of those!  Still, we never drafted Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf at least :)

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 26, 2012, 05:56:56 AM

Bo was the bigest disaster

I agree.   Bo was the worst pick the Bucs ever made.   To get zero production out of the first pick in the draft can't be topped for futility.   But Booker Reese was 2nd worst.   He was a disaster.

You know another guy other than Peebles that nobody mentions because you never hear of him from the current media?   Offensive Guard - Brett Moritz.    Moritz was absolutely an all time top 10 draft bust for the Bucs.    The Bucs had an extra 2nd round pick in 1978 from the trade that gave the Oilers the top pick in the draft to take Earl Campbell and the Bucs took Doug Williams that year with the first round pick they got for Campbell.   Williams was a good pick, and Jimmie Giles came with that trade too, but the 2nd round pick they used on Moritz was a complete waste.   He never played and was cut the next year.   For a 3rd round pick like Sileo or Kenyatta Walker who started in the Super Bowl to be on that list ahead of Moritz is absurd.

This is why people who don't know Bucs history should not be making lists like this.   

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 26, 2012, 05:58:11 AM

]Buccaneer Flashback: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History - Booker Reese

Without question. No argument. Common knowledge among Buccaneer fans.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 26, 2012, 06:02:24 AM

]Buccaneer Flashback: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History - Booker Reese

Without question. No argument. Common knowledge among Buccaneer fans.

Bo Jackson was worse.   He was a higher pick and produced just as little for the Bucs (even less) than Booker did.

The Bucs took the first pick in the entire draft that year and just flushed it down the toilet.
: April 26, 2012, 06:04:42 AM JavaRay

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools