Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#15 : April 26, 2012, 06:17:35 AM

Booker took up a first and and a second round pick, Bo only cost a first. Bo produced on the field and was a great football player. Booker never was.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 26, 2012, 06:52:37 AM

Bo Jackson

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 26, 2012, 07:43:38 AM

We are one more torn bicep away from it being Geraldini ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 26, 2012, 08:18:19 AM

Booker took up a first and and a second round pick, Bo only cost a first. Bo produced on the field and was a great football player. Booker never was.

Not true.   The Bucs traded their first round pick in 1983 for the Bears 2nd round pick in 1982 and used it to pick Booker Reese.     The Bucs had no 2nd round pick in 1982 because they had already traded it to the Dolphins for Norris Thomas and Gary Davis and in 1983 the Bucs took Randy Grimes with their own 2nd round pick.

Booker Reese cost the bucs the 18th pick in the 1983 draft.   That's all.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 26, 2012, 08:24:03 AM

I didn't put Bo Jackson number one because overall, he was a good pro - would been a Hall of Famer if he didn't have that career ending injury early.

So in essence - the pick was the right one. What was wrong was Culverhouse going cheap and not fulfilling his promise to make him the highest paid rookie in NFL history and then not having the common sense to trade his rights when it was clear Jackson was never coming to Tampa Bay.

As for my credentials, while I'm too young to remember the 70's, I certainly remember the 80's and I grew up watching this football team. I've seen every single one of the guys listed actually play live.

I never pretended to be an expert - I'm a decent writer and I like to give my opinion on the team I love. The readers at BucNation seem to enjoy it so take it for what it's worth.

I will definitely agree with Java on one thing, BucPower.com is a tremendous resource for Bucs history. Without that site, there would have been names completely lost to me in my memory banks.

For the record, Danny Peebles, Jackie Walker, Moritz and even Vinny T were close to my final cut.

Also, I picked Sileo because frankly, the Bucs wasted a 3rd round pick on a guy who played 10 games for them. It wasn't a personal grudge.

Finally Java, are you back in Tampa or still abroad? If you're in town, I challenge you to come down to the Press Box today and we'll go mano-e-mano on Bucs history.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 26, 2012, 08:28:42 AM

Gaines Adams was not the 4th worst pick in franchise history. He lead all rookies in sacks and helped win a bunch of games in 2007-2008.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#21 : April 26, 2012, 08:33:25 AM

One of Dungy's first (if not his first) Reagan Upshaw

Nobody remembers how much of a BUST that cat was...Reagan Upshaw made Gaines Adams look like Bruce Smith

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 26, 2012, 08:36:01 AM

One of Dungy's first (if not his first) Reagan Upshaw

Nobody remembers how much of a BUST that cat was...Reagan Upshaw made Gaines Adams look like Bruce Smith

LOL , you're right I forgot all about Reagan Upshaw.....he has to rank up there. What a turd.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 26, 2012, 08:47:44 AM

I challenge you to come down to the Press Box today and we'll go mano-e-mano on Bucs history.

Haha.  If there were money on the line, you wouldn't want to do that.

I am not in Tampa though.   Quite far....

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 26, 2012, 08:50:47 AM

For the record, Danny Peebles, Jackie Walker, Moritz and even Vinny T were close to my final cut.

Also, I picked Sileo because frankly, the Bucs wasted a 3rd round pick on a guy who played 10 games for them. It wasn't a personal grudge.

So Sileo who was a 3rd round pick was worse than Moritz who was a 2nd round pick and played less than Sileo?    Come on, you didn't even consider Moritz.   And how about Peebles?   He was more of a bust than a few of the guys on your list.   Peebles was only a few picks away from being a first rounder.

Jackie Walker and Vinny T don't even deserve remote consideration for that list.    Paul Stewart put Vinny on his list of worst Bucs ever for personal reasons because Paul is friends with Nick Pugliesi and "pugo" had a personal vendetta against Vinny for some reason that he revealed to Paul, but to nobody else.   If we knew that reason, maybe we'd hate Vinny as well.   I'm not sure.

Moritz was a nice guy though.    He came to our high school and gave a speech for a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting in 1979 or 80.
: April 26, 2012, 09:07:03 AM JavaRay

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#25 : April 26, 2012, 08:51:48 AM

Bo Jackson was the worst pick in Bucs history. He was drafted #1 overall and never played a game for us. Booker Reese is the wrost pick to actually  play for us though.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 26, 2012, 08:56:28 AM

Bo Jackson was the worst pick in Bucs history. He was drafted #1 overall and never played a game for us. Booker Reese is the worst pick to actually  play for us though.

Agreed.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 26, 2012, 08:58:12 AM

Reidel Anthony?
: April 26, 2012, 09:17:35 AM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 26, 2012, 09:14:27 AM

Bo Jackson

This and it's not even close

watson

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 26, 2012, 09:35:54 AM

Bo Jackson was the worst pick in Bucs history. He was drafted #1 overall and never played a game for us. Booker Reese is the worst pick to actually  play for us though.

Agreed.
One thing that has not been mentioned in regards to Booker Reese being drafted was when they timed him at the BCU Pro Day he was timed in the 40 on a track that less than 40 yards long.  So the Bucs were under the false belief that he was faster than he actually was.  So, between making decisions based on false info, poor communications between the draft room and draft HQ, it was a total comedy of errors all the way around.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools