Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 26, 2012, 09:38:01 AM

For the record, Danny Peebles, Jackie Walker, Moritz and even Vinny T were close to my final cut.

Also, I picked Sileo because frankly, the Bucs wasted a 3rd round pick on a guy who played 10 games for them. It wasn't a personal grudge.

So Sileo who was a 3rd round pick was worse than Moritz who was a 2nd round pick and played less than Sileo?    Come on, you didn't even consider Moritz.   And how about Peebles?   He was more of a bust than a few of the guys on your list.   Peebles was only a few picks away from being a first rounder.

Jackie Walker and Vinny T don't even deserve remote consideration for that list.    Paul Stewart put Vinny on his list of worst Bucs ever for personal reasons because Paul is friends with Nick Pugliesi and "pugo" had a personal vendetta against Vinny for some reason that he revealed to Paul, but to nobody else.   If we knew that reason, maybe we'd hate Vinny as well.   I'm not sure.

Moritz was a nice guy though.    He came to our high school and gave a speech for a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting in 1979 or 80.

Well, I'm glad you were sitting right there with me as I went through my list.

The way I did this was I began with the 1976 draft, and filled out the names for best and worst picks (as best as I could with the amount of picks I had). Then I went to 77, if there was a guy in 77 that was a better choice than the one in 76, I bumped that previous guy down....and it went like that through the decades of drafts.

Moritz was on there until about mid-2000's, when I bumped him off the list for Gaines and Yatta. If memory serves, I also took him off the list because the reason he didn't contribute was because he got sick. Not his fault, no one's fault, really. It was just a bad break.

This is what makes lists fun - everyone has an opinion as to who should go where - it's interesting debate fodder and nice way to burn time until the draft. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 26, 2012, 09:47:00 AM

Booker Reese = Morris Claiborne

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BUCPOWER.COM

Second String

#32 : April 26, 2012, 10:20:41 AM

Finally Java, are you back in Tampa or still abroad? If you're in town, I challenge you to come down to the Press Box today and we'll go mano-e-mano on Bucs history.

And I'll take you both on.   ;D

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#33 : April 26, 2012, 10:23:48 AM

Booker actually made the team worse when he was on the field. Bo Jackson didn't have a pos/negative either way. But teams took advantage of Booker being there - so not only was he bad, but opponents made sure to capitalize on that fact while Bo never even wore a Buc's uniform.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 26, 2012, 10:27:07 AM

I'm trying to recall the nature of the Kenyatta Walker deal. A guy that costs more than one pick and still stinks obviously becomes a much worse value.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 26, 2012, 10:45:05 AM

Finally Java, are you back in Tampa or still abroad? If you're in town, I challenge you to come down to the Press Box today and we'll go mano-e-mano on Bucs history.

I would welcome that challenge.   ;)

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 26, 2012, 10:51:24 AM

I'm trying to recall the nature of the Kenyatta Walker deal. A guy that costs more than one pick and still stinks obviously becomes a much worse value.

He started in the winning Super Bowl, so I cant' say he was a top 10 all time bad pick.

The Bucs traded up to #14 to take him.

They gave up #21 in the first round and  #51 in the 2nd round that year to move up to #14 and take Yatta.    Terrible move for sure.    But I still can't say Yatta was one of the 10 worst ever.   As bad as he sucked as a starter, at least he was a starter.   

The Bills picked Nate Clements with the first round pick and traded the 2nd round pick to the Broncos who took Paul Toviessi with that pick.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 26, 2012, 10:52:02 AM

I'll create a trivia match and set it up. We'll see who wins. =P

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 26, 2012, 10:55:03 AM

My knowledge of Bucs history is very strong prior to 1998.   After that, it's nothing special.   

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 26, 2012, 10:56:38 AM

Starter or not, Kenyatta Walker was awful. And the 2001 draft was loaded. They missed out on a lot of really good players who could have helped in the lean years after the Super Bowl.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 26, 2012, 11:17:08 AM

Quote from: JavaRay
My knowledge of Bucs history is very strong prior to 1998.   After that, it's nothing special.

If we did a trivia match in a chat room, I'd include questions from almost all decades. Anyone interested?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#41 : April 26, 2012, 11:42:07 AM

Definitely not worthy...you'll crush me.  ;D

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 26, 2012, 12:01:57 PM

Quote from: JavaRay

If we did a trivia match in a chat room, I'd include questions from almost all decades. Anyone interested?

I would be but I'm at the ole' 9 to 5 right now and I'll be at the Press Box shindig tonight. How bout tomorrow before the 2nd round gets going? I get home around 5:30pm EST.

BucPower is not invited... :D

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 26, 2012, 12:53:28 PM

My knowledge of Bucs history is nothing special.

Agree.  It's just trivia.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

IrishBuc

Second String

#44 : April 26, 2012, 01:46:47 PM

How could it be anyone else besides Bo Jackson? Heck I have only been a fan for two years but know when you draft someone first overall and they don't play a game, it's certainly the worst in your history!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Worst Draft pick in Tampa Bay History? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools