Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HIGHLIGHTS FROM TUESDAY'S OTA AT ONE BUC PLACE « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #30 : May 23, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »

It is my belief that what you see at OTA's, more than likely you will see with the opening of training camp.  There may be a few changes here and there, but for the most part I think what you see is what you get.

In the past that has been very true, and may also be true here. But this coach just does things his own way. We shall see.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #31 : May 23, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »

It seems like if there were to be changes in the starting lineup, or depth chart, it has to be done through training camp battles. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #32 : May 23, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

I dunno. It's still way early. Benn will be given every opportunity to play the slot next season. I don't think that depth chart now is what we will see at the start of camp necessarily. Especially with a new HC getting a look at everybody.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #33 : May 23, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »

Lest we forget, Coach Schiano has said he's judging guys a great deal on their ability to translate his teachings into action on the field. Benn may be a great physical talent, but if he's lagging in his ability to grasp new instructions, he's more vulnerable to dropping on the depth chart.

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #34 : May 23, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

Lest we forget, Coach Schiano has said he's judging guys a great deal on their ability to translate his teachings into action on the field. Benn may be a great physical talent, but if he's lagging in his ability to grasp new instructions, he's more vulnerable to dropping on the depth chart.

Good point

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #35 : May 24, 2012, 12:25:01 AM »

Stroughter and Parker are the slot guys. That is likely why they lined up as the "2nd team". Probably were going slot WRs vs. slot CBs and Benn was exactly where you'd think he'd be backing up Jackson and Williams.

If Benn isn't a slot guy, isn't a special teams returner, or a gunner what is he depth?  Like I said that Benn is competing with Briscoe,or possibly Gant to be a depth guy at flanker.  Briscoe has shown he can handle playing split end and slot as well, so Benn has to rise to the challenge to make this team.

The backup to Jackson and/or Williams...exactly where he lined up in the OTAs.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #36 : May 24, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »

"The passing game was out of sorts with Josh Freeman and the receivers not connecting on many big plays. There were some overthrows on Freeman’s part and some drops by the receivers."

This was the case before the season last year...hopefully it isnt a sign of things to come in training camp and throughout the season.

Josh Freeman will either be revealed as the franchise guy we all hope for...or exposed as a player who may never be "the guy".

I completely agree with you on the Bucs finding out whether or not Free's "the guy", but I also believe that too many of us are equating wins & losses in direct proportion to "is Freeman a true Franchise QB"...

It's kind of equivalent to Morgan's question on wins & losses.

If we only win 7 games - does that give us a clear sign that Freeman's NOT "the guy"...?

I say no.

I agree...but I highly doubt that if Freeman plays like he did in '10 or a little better...that this team will be sub-.500...I mean there are stretches in the schedule where the forecast is sunny and and a high of 70...sorry I make lame analogies when I'm tired.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

« #37 : May 24, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »

Good point

Not only is it a good point regarding Benn.

It's a good point regarding probably 10-15 guys vying for starting roles (or solidifying roles as back-ups / ST players).

Think about this...  If you got two players.  VERY similar skill sets.  One happens to be a starting LB, and one is "up and coming" (sit down JR) and trying to hopefully break the lineup eventually.  Stick with me...

What if the the starter, despite him previously having "earned" the position over the past year or two, simply CAN'T grasp the defense Schi & Co. are trying to install...?

And........  the same guy, who's simply trying to earn a roster spot, is unquestionably better at everything the two of them are being asked to do...?

Can you think of a player......  who was a STARTER LAST YEAR...  who may be replaced, yet retained in a back-up or "rotational" role...?

I think the battle at the defensive back 7 is obviously going to be the most fun to watch play out...!

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

« #38 : May 24, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »

"The passing game was out of sorts with Josh Freeman and the receivers not connecting on many big plays. There were some overthrows on Freeman’s part and some drops by the receivers."

This was the case before the season last year...hopefully it isnt a sign of things to come in training camp and throughout the season.

Josh Freeman will either be revealed as the franchise guy we all hope for...or exposed as a player who may never be "the guy".

I completely agree with you on the Bucs finding out whether or not Free's "the guy", but I also believe that too many of us are equating wins & losses in direct proportion to "is Freeman a true Franchise QB"...

It's kind of equivalent to Morgan's question on wins & losses.

If we only win 7 games - does that give us a clear sign that Freeman's NOT "the guy"...?

I say no.

I agree...but I highly doubt that if Freeman plays like he did in '10 or a little better...that this team will be sub-.500...I mean there are stretches in the schedule where the forecast is sunny and and a high of 70...sorry I make lame analogies when I'm tired.

Fair enough...  Freeman could put up 4,000+ yards, 30 TDs, 15 INTs, averaging 37 PPG..........  Losing MANY of those games 42-39.  But it's like this...

If.......  HUGE friggin' "if"...  Freeman can have THAT kinda year, and our defense simply can't close the deal, even being in every game till the end...  I could live with it, but the odds of that happening are "slim to none".

Truth is - If Free puts up those numbers...  this team will win at least 10 games this year.  It would actually be pretty damned hard not to.  (I think 10 is the magic number for the NFCS this year.}

Defenses are "schemes & personnel"...  Unlike the offense - defenses have no quarterback, upon which 99% of a team's success hinges.

We've all heard "As Freeman goes, the Bucs go..."  And if you haven't, you've been freeze-dried.

But that can't be said about any one singular player on defense.  None.  Not only on the Bucs.  On EVERY NFL team.  Obviously.

I actually see stretches of stormy skies and patches of rain, snow, heat - the whole nine, man.

We'll be hard pressed to weather the storm as the season wears on...

Yeah.......  with ya on the late nite analogies...

Tonite's forcast...  Dark.  Preceeded by scattered light in the morning..."

JoshMcCrownUs

Starter

« #39 : May 24, 2012, 02:23:47 AM »

The bucs would be crazy to cut benn. Besides the drops, which I believe are correctable (an assumption I understand not all will make, but I believe in AB), he more than any other WR on the bucs roster has the potential to explode and dominate with his speed / power combo (14.7 yds a catch, highest on team by almost a full yard). We've seen those flashes in a couple of his highlight plays. I won't argue that he hasn't underperformed up until now, but so do a lot of WRs before there 3rd year, which history bears out is when most WRs figure it out (if they're ever going too).

My point being, even if he initially struggles, the bucs would be crazy not to show at least a little patience with Benn. I believe he's proven that he has the right work ethic and attitude, so lets hope for him finally figuring it out on the field (and staying healthy).

Now if next year we're stil having this conversation, there's a good chance ill be singing your tune as well. Lets hope thats not the case.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #40 : May 24, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »

Stroughter and Parker are the slot guys. That is likely why they lined up as the "2nd team". Probably were going slot WRs vs. slot CBs and Benn was exactly where you'd think he'd be backing up Jackson and Williams.

If Benn isn't a slot guy, isn't a special teams returner, or a gunner what is he depth?  Like I said that Benn is competing with Briscoe,or possibly Gant to be a depth guy at flanker.  Briscoe has shown he can handle playing split end and slot as well, so Benn has to rise to the challenge to make this team.

Benn as far as I know is strictly a flanker, and based on the way he plays that is what he excels at.  Briscoe has played flanker, split end or slot in his short stint with the Bucs which is why he has the inside track to being the back up for Williams and Jackson.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #41 : May 24, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »

Benn as far as I know is strictly a flanker, and based on the way he plays that is what he excels at.  Briscoe has played flanker, split end or slot in his short stint with the Bucs which is why he has the inside track to being the back up for Williams and Jackson.

While that may be the case, since Briscoe wasn't there we don't know. My point was really addressing the "3rd team" issue which I believe to be a misread of what was happening should anyone choose to put a bit of thought into it.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

« #42 : May 24, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »

So...

Crown us?

Ricky Bobby

Starter

« #43 : May 24, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »

So...

Crown us?

Indeed, YM. Indeed.  ;D

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HIGHLIGHTS FROM TUESDAY'S OTA AT ONE BUC PLACE « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools