Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin is a top 10 running back....in 2015 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 01, 2012, 08:19:12 PM

ESPN: Doug Martin is a top 10 running back....in 2015

by Sander on Jun 1, 2012 7:36 PM EDT in Player Analysis

Otto Kitsinger III - Getty Images
 6 months ago: BOISE, ID - DECEMBER 03: Doug Martin #22 of the Boise State Broncos gets past Bubba Forrest #28 of the New Mexico Lobos for a touchdown at Bronco Stadium on December 3, 2011 in Boise, Idaho.

ESPN's Matt Williamson tried to forecast the top 10 running backs in 2015, and put one Tampa Bay Buccaneer on that list: Doug Martin. Undoubtedly we'll look back at this list in four years time and go "how could he have thought that?", but it's an interesting look at what Williamson, a former NFL scout, thinks of the Buccaneers running back.

Like Richardson, Martin will have just three seasons under his belt entering the 2015 season. In these upcoming three years, Martin should be in line for plenty of touches, but with LeGarrette Blount also in place in Tampa Bay, Martin might not have taken as much abuse as Richardson. The Buccaneers have a lot invested in their offensive line, Josh Freeman and the passing game, an area where Martin excels as well. He should continue to improve as a receiver over time.

Doug Martin certainly has the tools to be a top 10 running back. While he isn't a truly special running back, he's an all-around back who can contribute in every area of the game. More importantly, perhaps, he has the ability to be a true workhorse back. Greg Schiano can certainly appreciate that, given his penchant for running the ball at Rutgers. Does this push Legarrette Blount to the background? As I've said before, I think Blount and Martin will divide their carries like Bradshaw and Jacobs have in New York - and Martin is clearly the Bradshaw in that scenario.

There is perhaps one problem with this ranking, though. If Martin really is a top 10 running back in the NFL in 2015, it's likely we haven't seen Josh Freeman develop. No one hands the ball off play after play to a running back when they have a star at quarterback - not even Greg Schiano. I hope. Of course, if Martin doesn't become a top 10 back, was trading up for him in the first round really the right move?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/6/1/3058095/espn-doug-martin-is-a-top-10-running-back-in-2015

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 01, 2012, 08:40:11 PM

Bucs still need another competent back on this roster.  Injuries are inevitable.

ingey1968

Starter

#2 : June 01, 2012, 08:46:44 PM

Might want to see the kid play one down before you start forecasting greatness.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 01, 2012, 08:50:15 PM

This could happen. 3 great back to back seasons.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 01, 2012, 10:31:06 PM

There is perhaps one problem with this ranking, though. If Martin really is a top 10 running back in the NFL in 2015, it's likely we haven't seen Josh Freeman develop.

Does this author know its very possible to have a top 10 back with a top 10 qb?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 01, 2012, 10:51:34 PM

There is perhaps one problem with this ranking, though. If Martin really is a top 10 running back in the NFL in 2015, it's likely we haven't seen Josh Freeman develop.

I have ready many of Sanders' articles without discerning if the author is knowledgeable about any particular topic.  As a side note, Harris and Bradshaw fit comfortably in the Steelers backfield.  I don't know if both were top 10 in the same year, but Harris didn't slow Bradshaw down.  Bradshaw seemed able to improve adequately.   ::) ;) 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 01, 2012, 11:31:22 PM

I have ready many of Sanders' articles without discerning if the author is knowledgeable about any particular topic.  As a side note, Harris and Bradshaw fit comfortably in the Steelers backfield.  I don't know if both were top 10 in the same year, but Harris didn't slow Bradshaw down.  Bradshaw seemed able to improve adequately.   ::) ;)

A reference from the 70's?      [j/k]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 02, 2012, 12:04:42 AM

Yep - I grew up in Western PA, do the comparison was very natural for me.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 02, 2012, 12:10:42 AM

Yep - I grew up in Western PA, do the comparison was very natural for me.

More recently I think Brady and Welker were top 10.   And maybe Cutler and Forte,   Eli and Bradshaw?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucNCane

Second String
#9 : June 02, 2012, 01:04:39 AM

Tomlinson and Rivers, Manning and Edge, Brady and Dillon, Favre and Green, Favre and Peterson, Romo and Barber, Vick and McCoy, McNabb and Westbrook. The list goes on and on and on and on.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 02, 2012, 02:01:01 AM

Tomlinson and Rivers, Manning and Edge, Brady and Dillon, Favre and Green, Favre and Peterson, Romo and Barber, Vick and McCoy, McNabb and Westbrook. The list goes on and on and on and on.

Foster and Schaub, Ryan and Turner

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 02, 2012, 07:38:39 AM

ESPN: Doug Martin is a top 10 running back....in 2014

Fixed it.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 02, 2012, 08:23:00 AM

Almost seems top 10 QBs and RBs are commonplace...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 02, 2012, 09:49:12 AM

Almost seems top 10 QBs and RBs are commonplace...

I wouldn't say that, if you dig back through time and include some questionable backs (Barber?) as top 10 then sure. Top 10 passers last year

Brees with whoever you think their #1 back is
Brady with The Law Firm
Stafford with a bag of rocks
Manning with the 32nd ranked rush offense
Rodgers with less than a bag of rocks
Rivers with Matthews (given Barber maybe that is top 10 to some folks)
Romo with an injured DeMarco Murray
Ryan with Turner so you finally get a top 10 QB with a feature back here
Roth with Mendenhall and I can't even pretend that is a top 10
Newton with Williams who wasn't a 1000 yards rusher but I guess could be.

I think that gives us generously 2 out of 10 so not as common as you think.

Meanwhile the bottom 10 gives us: Tavaris Jackson and Lynch, Palmer/Oak QB and McFadden, Ponder and Petersen, Gabbert and MJD while Forte and Foster did their damage with backup and 3rd string QB's for most of the year.

Remember, running "success" isn't about how good you are but about how many times you carry the ball so top passing teams tend not to hand off as often as bad passing teams.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : June 02, 2012, 10:50:52 AM

Don't disagree for a second Dal - I have noted over the years that effective play spreads throughout the offense vs specific portions of an offense when one sees a successful offense.  And the inverse is fairly accurate as well.

Same goes with a defense - but we aren't talking D's in this thread.  I probably should have put my earlier post in blue...

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin is a top 10 running back....in 2015 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools