Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giving Credit Where Credit is Due « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 12, 2012, 02:58:59 PM

I thought the object was to win not hand jobs to your draft picks.  Why no competition for him?

Im not under the assumption that they are handing the job to him but maybe they have seen enough that warrants him a chance. Maybe there is still a competition for that job and hes just leading the race for now. I personally thought we would add some vets to that position but they didnt seem to want to go that direction. The object is to win I think but its also to have consistency at a position. Signing vets is a stopgap to winning short term and its not even guaranteed. Now drafting well and having those guys be in your lineup long term is what you want. That is consistency. Remember how many vets we had come in and out when Gruden was here? We didnt draft well so we had to put band aids in. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. At least here were finding out if our draft choice was the right one or not.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 12, 2012, 03:12:16 PM

Signing vets is a stopgap to winning short term and its not even guaranteed. Now drafting well and having those guys be in your lineup long term is what you want. That is consistency. Remember how many vets we had come in and out when Gruden was here? We didnt draft well so we had to put band aids in. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. At least here were finding out if our draft choice was the right one or not.
Lofton is only 3 years older than Foster. He's the same age as Eric Wright, a year younger than Carl Nicks, and 3 years younger than Vincent Jackson. He's not a stopgap.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 12, 2012, 03:51:15 PM

Signing vets is a stopgap to winning short term and its not even guaranteed. Now drafting well and having those guys be in your lineup long term is what you want. That is consistency. Remember how many vets we had come in and out when Gruden was here? We didnt draft well so we had to put band aids in. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. At least here were finding out if our draft choice was the right one or not.
Lofton is only 3 years older than Foster. He's the same age as Eric Wright, a year younger than Carl Nicks, and 3 years younger than Vincent Jackson. He's not a stopgap.

but if he is the "same" player as Lofton, why sign him?? You already have him for cheaper and younger.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 12, 2012, 03:58:32 PM

We don't know that he's the "same" player than Lofton. At this point he's been much worse. We're only hoping one day he can be the player Lofton is right now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 12, 2012, 04:02:17 PM

You sign Lofton and you wont find out if Foster can do it or not. You basically quit on the kid at MLB. Hes only had one season and under a bad coaching staff. Its obvious to me that they wanted to find out what they had in the kid. Otherwise they would have signed somebody if they thought the kid sucked. Remember Dom said they would only sign FA in the case that they know they messed up in the draft. I dont think you can really say Foster cant do it yet. Based on last season you could say it but dont you want more of a sample size? Especially under a new coach and scheme?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 12, 2012, 04:13:16 PM

Didn't we just quit on Mike Williams as the #1 WR? Where's the sympathy for him?

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#36 : July 12, 2012, 04:45:31 PM

If Curtis Lofton was as good as some posters on this thread seem to think he is, he would still be in Atlanta....

He is a run stopping MLB playing in a passing league...That's why Atlanta and the Bucs didn't go after him that hard...Not to mention double knee surgery...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 12, 2012, 04:47:21 PM

Remember Dom said they would only sign FA in the case that they know they messed up in the draft.
  we haven't drafted a OL since Uncle Stan was in short pants but we went out and made Nicks the highest paid player at his position.  Maybe Dom is full of crap.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 12, 2012, 04:49:05 PM

If Curtis Lofton was as good as some posters on this thread seem to think he is, he would still be in Atlanta....

He is a run stopping MLB playing in a passing league...That's why Atlanta and the Bucs didn't go after him that hard...Not to mention double knee surgery...
. And yet a playoff team and legit contender thought enough of him to sign him. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 12, 2012, 04:50:28 PM

I dont think they quit on MW. If anything the VJack signing helps him. Foster would likely be on the bench had we signed Lofton. While I wasnt entirely against that, Dom and Schiano may rather see what their 3rd round pick can do.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 12, 2012, 04:51:14 PM

He is a run stopping MLB playing in a passing league...
And Mason Foster excels in coverage?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 12, 2012, 04:54:44 PM

Remember Dom said they would only sign FA in the case that they know they messed up in the draft.
  we haven't drafted a OL since Uncle Stan was in short pants but we went out and made Nicks the highest paid player at his position.  Maybe Dom is full of crap.

Yea we have. Weve drafted a few of them. Trueblood, Joseph, Sears, Zuttah. Sears left so they filled the void with Nicks. Sounds like something he could have said to me.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 12, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

He is a run stopping MLB playing in a passing league...
And Mason Foster excels in coverage?

They are gonna find out what they got in the kid this year. If he doesnt work out Im sure we will have MLB as a top priority. You cant fill all the needs in one offseason. Sounds to me like they didnt want to committ long term to Lofton. And if you dont think hes worthy why would you do it? I think they would rather see what the 2nd year kid has before committing big dollars to a guy they dont want. That makes a lot of sense to me. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 12, 2012, 05:00:00 PM

I dont think they quit on MW. If anything the VJack signing helps him. Foster would likely be on the bench had we signed Lofton. While I wasnt entirely against that, Dom and Schiano may rather see what their 3rd round pick can do.
If Foster couldn't beat out Quincy Black, Dekoda Watson, and Adam Heyward, what kind of player is he?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 12, 2012, 05:11:21 PM

If Foster couldn't beat out Quincy Black, Dekoda Watson, and Adam Heyward, what kind of player is he?

If he cant beat out those guys then he will likely be on the bench. But hes gonna have his chance to start there it sounds like. At least they will know they have an immediate hole to fill there if it doesnt work out. Better than being unsure about it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giving Credit Where Credit is Due « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools