Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do we have to do to fix this D-line? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 27, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »

The Sleeper has Awakened

RSS

July 27, 2012

53-Man Roster, Training Camp

So I’ve been hibernating, and stopped hitting snooze just in time for camp. Some collected thoughts while I dreamt of a second Buc Super Bowl…

- Brian Price traded for a bag of beans? The tantalizing talent who “destroyed practice?” The kid who shook off horrific injuries like he was Steve Austin (“The 6 Million Dollar Man,” not “Stone Cold”)? It’s the same one.

My first instinct was to hate this move. After all, the flashes are undeniable, and the excuses for his short-comings are pretty good ones. It takes a rare person to roll with all the punches this kid has taken at such a young age. Is it fair to expect him to rebound from the injuries and tragedies all so quickly? Couldn’t the Bucs have been more patient? Aren’t the Bears stealing him (a late rounder next year)?

But the more I chew on it, the less I trust that first instinct. Maybe it isn’t fair, but neither is football. We can rationalize why Price wasn’t what we hoped for all we want – the fact is, flashes and all, he was the starting NT on arguably the worst defense in Buc history. And maybe that’s his ceiling. He has physical and emotional hurdles to overcome that mean he might never reach his potential.

Schiano appears to take a very personal level of interest in his players (see Legrand, Erik). I suspect that it probably pained him to move on from a guy undergoing such personal turmoil. But he has a responsibility to the other 89 guys on hand. Price was away from his teammates while they were working in Tampa (and fighting one – an important one – when he was in town). If the recent pictures at the Bucs official site are any indication, he’s not close to being in shape. Schiano has been pretty clear that he believes in giving players a clean slate, so you have to wonder if Price failed to live up to some agreement or understanding that the two had.

What do we have to do to fix this D-line? Let’s examine the wreckage of recent years. Since Warren Sapp, Greg Spires, and Simeon Rice wrecked opposing offenses, we’ve scratched and clawed just to get to average at times up front, despite the use of high draft picks. Brian Price will join Booger McFarland and Gaines Adams (RIP) as early round D-line disappointments. Unfortunately, other candidates are lurking around. While Gerald McCoy’s presence clearly makes the defensive line better, his two torn biceps have kept him mostly on the shelf. Da’Quan Bowers survived his notorious knee injury as a rookie, only to tear his achilles. At this point, Mark Dominik should put Adrian Clayborn in a protective bubble.

- Speaking of Dominik, not a great roster move for the resume. It’s funny – on the one hand, Mark Dominik has orchestrated some big moves this offseason. He brought in two bona fide NFL elites in Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks – moves we never see in Tampa. He made great moves in the early rounds of this years draft, acquiring 3 good prospects. But in the very same off-season, he’s jettisoned KW-2, Tanard Jackson, and Brian Price. There were two second round picks involved in that group. The rest of his tenure as Buccaneers’ GM has been similarly up-and-down. My guess is that Dominik’s seat isn’t red hot, but it’s certainly getting warm. Josh Freeman, Mike Williams, Gerald McCoy and LeGarrette Blount returning to form would help him immensely. And winning wouldn’t hurt.

- The only surprise with Dezmond Briscoe was that it took this long. Let’s review: Coach is an old-school work hard and focus on football type. Player has a history of red flags, and seems focused on his reality show love-triangle and skips OTAs. Understand?

- Dez Briscoe’s failure to survive Camp Schiano shouldn’t be considered a knock against Dominik. Dominik risked next to nothing for Briscoe. He was poached off a practice squad for a little extra money, and paid it back by scoring 7 tds in just 18 games. It’s not a double-bagger, but it’s still a nice return on investment.

http://www.betterthanaveragebucsblog.com/2012/07/27/the-sleeper-has-awakened/

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 27, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

A trade or FA pickup might be in order IMO.   They are getting awful thin at DL.  McCoy is the anchor now?   That is scary.      SMH

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 27, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »

If the price is right...Cliff Avril.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 27, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »

I heard Sapp needs a good paying job. I'm sure that dude could come off the street and whoop some lineman's ass still. Sapp was a bad man.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

« #4 : July 27, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

Does NT now move to the top of the need list past cb and MLB? So much for my dream of Amerson and Te'o.  Melton, Branch, Jones, and Dorsey are all FA next year. I think I would rather go FA DT, and still focus on the other two.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 27, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the Price affair. It certainly parallels my thoughts.

+1

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 27, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

A trade or FA pickup might be in order IMO.   They are getting awful thin at DL.  McCoy is the anchor now?   That is scary.      SMH

Totally agree.

Turn the page.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 27, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

I'm holding out for BIG Frank Okam, who actually passed Schiano's conditioning test. IMO, that's a GOOD sign!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 27, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »

If the price is right...Cliff Avril.

Not a bad idea, but who do we have to trade?   The guys are dropping at an alarming rate.

Edit......Nevermind, I just saw your Cliff Avril thread.
« : July 27, 2012, 11:17:41 PM The Anti-Java »

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 27, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »

What we need is some tough guys that can survive in the trenches without getting injured. I'm sure we will be watching the waiver wire closely as usual this preseason.

I'm watching CJ Wilson. The packers have 16 defensive linemen right now so he could get cut. Really like the guy. He's a DE/DT at 290lbs but he is very strong, and very violent.

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 27, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »

What we need is some tough guys that can survive in the trenches without getting injured. I'm sure we will be watching the waiver wire closely as usual this preseason.

I'm watching CJ Wilson. The packers have 16 defensive linemen right now so he could get cut. Really like the guy. He's a DE/DT at 290lbs but he is very strong, and very violent.

I hold my breath when I see McCoy running around out there.  I guess if he makes it thru a game or two,  I will feel more confident in him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 27, 2012, 11:21:51 PM »

Between McCoy, Price, Miller, and Bowers.....it just seems like we have a bunch of fragile guys that can't stay healthy. Price is now gone and Bowers is out for at least 3 months.....so hopefully some of these other guys can prove to be a little more durable.

Draft Aaron Donald

McCoy93

Starter

« #12 : July 27, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »

you have got to be kidding me. i didnt see this happening. two years of spending high premium picks on defensive linemen we are still trying to figure out the line

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 27, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »

The offense better perform at a very high level...cause this defense is looking like it might show little improvement from last year..

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 27, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »

As long as McCoy stays healthy we should be fine. Gibson, Miller, or Okam can we solid at nose tackle if they are surrounded by Clayborn, McCoy, and Bennett.

I see Okoye being the 2nd string under tackle backing up McCoy. If McCoy goes down again and Okoye becomes the starting under tackle....then we have serious problems.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do we have to do to fix this D-line? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools