Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do we have to do to fix this D-line? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 29, 2012, 10:23:50 AM

I predict David to be out sack leader.

That would not be a good thing, just sayin.

Meh. Depends on the scheme. If Schiano ends up blitzing David a lot, then it wouldn't be bad. Von Miller had 11.5 sacks as a rookie 4-3 linebacker. It wasn't a bad thing. Sometimes guys just have a knack for rushing the passer. You know....like opposite of Quincy Black and Barrett Ruud.  :P

Honestly I think Clayborn will be our sack leader, but David will be a close 2nd.

Also, I think it is interesting that Von Miller, who is pretty much the ideal 4-3 linebacker, is listed at 237lbs.....just 4lbs heavier than Lavonte David. David is 6'1" 233lbs and Miller is 6'3" 237lbs.....but David is undersized? I'm not buying it. Very excited to see David this year. Hope we get good play at DT so this kid can blow up and get RoY.
: July 29, 2012, 10:30:03 AM JDouble

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 29, 2012, 12:41:01 PM

Hope we get good play at DT so this kid can blow up and get RoY.

Wouldn't good D-line play include lots of sacks?   

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 29, 2012, 12:53:23 PM

"What do we have to do to fix this D-line?"

Nothing.

Let the season play out and see what the Bucs have to work with.  Every player on the defensive line, with the exception of Okoye/Gibson are really unknown figures.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 29, 2012, 01:52:57 PM

Also, I think it is interesting that Von Miller, who is pretty much the ideal 4-3 linebacker, is listed at 237lbs.....just 4lbs heavier than Lavonte David. David is 6'1" 233lbs and Miller is 6'3" 237lbs.....but David is undersized? I'm not buying it.

I agree. The "he is undersized" stuff is a bit overplayed. I think it comes mostly because of how he looks on tape when watching vids of him at Nebraska. Does he look lean...sure...but the dude had "pop" at Nebraska. Also, you usually don't see LBs fly around like David did....he looked like a DB at times. I think there are some teams that may have taken him and tried to convert him into a safety...sort of like we did with Grimm. I am rather excited to see what he can do.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 29, 2012, 03:22:39 PM

"What do we have to do to fix this D-line?"

Nothing.

Let the season play out and see what the Bucs have to work with.  Every player on the defensive line, with the exception of Okoye/Gibson are really unknown figures.

Agree and I would add, rebuild the defense next draft and free agency.  Hopefully the offense is clicking this season, then address the D next offseason.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 29, 2012, 04:48:59 PM

Yes, but I was referring more to controlling the the line by dominating their man/gap. Especially the interior.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 29, 2012, 05:08:47 PM

Yes, but I was referring more to controlling the the line by dominating their man/gap. Especially the interior.

I hear ya J.    I am hoping the ends pick up more sacks than any of the LB's though.  I think Bennett and Clayborn can rack up a bunch.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 29, 2012, 05:34:13 PM

Like David, I think the DEs production will depend largely on the interior line. Everything really does start upfront. If your interior line is weak (defense or offense) nothing else will work right. Hopefully we are better at DT this year than I am expecting us to be.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 29, 2012, 05:43:23 PM

Lions need RBs....   

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 29, 2012, 06:05:53 PM

Sack leader will be Quincy Black.

You mean first leader to be sacked (i.e. cut)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 29, 2012, 06:13:38 PM

Sack leader will be Quincy Black.

You mean first leader to be sacked (i.e. cut)

There are several unspeakable, unthinkable, ungodly acts that I would do if it guaranteed that he would be cut....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#41 : July 29, 2012, 06:13:55 PM

According to the "Monte Kiffin School of Defense Philosophy" good D-line play = lots of INTs, good DB coverage = lots of sacks.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 29, 2012, 06:22:15 PM

Here is what I am hoping for sack-wise:

Clayborne: 11+
Bennett: 7+
McCoy: 6+
other DL: 5+
LBs: 6+
DBs: 5+ (Barber and Barron should be good for 2+ each)

40 or more and I'm happy...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 29, 2012, 06:28:26 PM

Schiano keeps repeating that his defensive philosophy is all about the linebackers playing downhill. I think this means our linebackers should have more than 6 sacks on the year. Plus, David is really quite good at pass rushing....which isn't something we have had in quite some time. I think David has 6 sacks alone. Mason Foster is pretty good at getting to the QB as well, and if we can get Watson on the field....look out!

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 29, 2012, 06:37:01 PM

Schiano keeps repeating that his defensive philosophy is all about the linebackers playing downhill. I think this means our linebackers should have more than 6 sacks on the year. Plus, David is really quite good at pass rushing....which isn't something we have had in quite some time. I think David has 6 sacks alone. Mason Foster is pretty good at getting to the QB as well, and if we can get Watson on the field....look out!

I'll say one thing for ya' Double...........you got hope brother.....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do we have to do to fix this D-line? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools