Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy to replace Price « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 27, 2012, 09:25:15 PM

How do the Bucs intend to replace traded defensive tackle Brian Price?

By Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Jul 27, 2012 02:56 PM

After it's all said and done, it doesn't matter why the Bucs traded Brian Price.

What's important, now that he's gone, is how the Bucs plan to make up for the loss of a defensive tackle who started 14 games in 2011. There's no final answer at the moment, but we can begin to narrow down the options.

First, based on interviews and observations, Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy. Because Price had settled into a nose tackle role in Tampa Bay, alongside three-technique defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a likelier option is former Rams tackle Gary Gibson a more conventional nose tackle. Also in the mix: veteran Roy Miller.

Okoye will have an important role this season, but the Bucs don't see him as an ideal run-stopping nose tackle on early downs. For his part, Gibson hopes he can be a difference maker.

"I'm hoping I get a bunch of snaps," Gibson said after today's first training camp practice. "I'm ready to do some work with this team. I feel great.

"In the last couple of years, I've really fallen into a role of a guy who plays on first and second down. If I can get to the quarterback in that time, I'm going to do it. But as a defensive tackle, especially for me, stopping the run is a priority. If you don't stop the run, you ain't doing much else."

At 312 pounds, Gibson is 20 pounds bulkier than the 292-pound Okoye. Miller, who weighs 310, also has the body type of a nose tackle.

But Okoye, who has some potential to play defensive end, according to the Bucs, is a natural fit next to McCoy on passing downs. That's when the athletic Okoye can utilize his burst off the line of scrimmage to create a pass rush and, potentially, collapse the pocket. Okoye sees himself as a pass rusher before anything else.

"I'll play any (position) that allows me to sack the quarterback," he said, "and we have a nice menu this year."

Another player to watch is Wallace Gilberry. Though he seems undersized, at 268 pounds, his name has come up when the subject of interior linemen comes up. Wallace has 14 combined sacks in his past three season while playing in a reserve capacity for the Chiefs, so he has some pass-rush ability.

Again, the Bucs don't have all the answers yet. But they're going to have to figure things out over the coming weeks given the importance of the defensive tackle position.

[Last modified: Jul 27, 2012 04:17 PM]

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 27, 2012, 11:04:43 PM

I don't have much faith in Roy Boy at this point, so hopefully Gibson steps up.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 27, 2012, 11:09:10 PM

Roy Williams is a guy who grows roots instantly the second the words "Hut hut" get heard...

For those with learning disabilities, that means he sucks. (as a pass rusher and run defender in NFL football...not as a person)

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 27, 2012, 11:11:46 PM

Hope this gets worked out, but the smell of fertilizer is building

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 27, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

Amen to that.

And it ain't from Java's fingertips for once.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 27, 2012, 11:15:54 PM

Amen to that.

And it ain't from Java's fingertips for once.

LOL

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 27, 2012, 11:16:39 PM

Nope, this is direct from the horse's behind - just when I think things might fall into place stuff no one can verify or talk about upsets the proverbial apple cart.  And I HATE it.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 27, 2012, 11:25:45 PM

Nope, this is direct from the horse's behind - just when I think things might fall into place stuff no one can verify or talk about upsets the proverbial apple cart.  And I HATE it.
:-[

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 27, 2012, 11:28:39 PM

AND it appears self inflicted too boot Boid - which makes it controllable - well for teams not name Tampa Bay it is controllable. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 27, 2012, 11:30:42 PM

AND it appears self inflicted too boot Boid - which makes it controllable - well for teams not name Tampa Bay it is controllable.
Agree.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 27, 2012, 11:37:52 PM

Yeah, let's wait until late July to make major roster moves.

Camp Turmoil 2012

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 28, 2012, 12:49:42 AM

Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy to replace Price

Hopefully Okoye takes that personally.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 28, 2012, 04:15:05 AM

Price was a UT playing out of position as a NT and we are talking about the NT of the worst run defense in the league last year.  This whole premise is retarded. If i recall correctly, PFF graded Okoye well against the run and i was also under the impression that the former top 10 pick, while somewhat a disappointment as a pass rusher, had developed into a pretty good run defender.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 28, 2012, 08:18:26 AM

Since BIG Frank Okam has gotten this far and passed the conditioning test, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in the mix. Okoye, Okam, Miller, Gibson, et al will get plenty of looks in different situations and with different combinations of players. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 28, 2012, 08:39:06 AM

Price was a UT playing out of position as a NT and we are talking about the NT of the worst run defense in the league last year.  This whole premise is retarded. If i recall correctly, PFF graded Okoye well against the run and i was also under the impression that the former top 10 pick, while somewhat a disappointment as a pass rusher, had developed into a pretty good run defender.

Exactly . We are talking about replacing the NT of 32nd ranked run defense....uhhhhh, what's to replace ? It's literally impossible for Okoye to do any worse. Stupid article.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy to replace Price « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools