Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy to replace Price « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 28, 2012, 11:23:50 AM

holder acts like Price was this great player who is  irreplaceable.  he isn't.
: July 28, 2012, 12:58:16 PM Skull and Bones

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 28, 2012, 11:53:38 AM

holder acts like Price was this great player who is  replaceable.  he isn't.

A lot of people have overrated Price's play on the field.  He did have some splash plays, but he had a helluva lot more plays where he was completely taken out of the play.

Maybe Marinelli can get more out of him, but he wasn't the player I thought he'd be here in Tampa.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 28, 2012, 11:59:05 AM

A lot of people have overrated Price's play on the field.  He did have some splash plays, but he had a helluva lot more plays where he was completely taken out of the play.

Maybe Marinelli can get more out of him, but he wasn't the player I thought he'd be here in Tampa.
No bro.. Price was a juggernaut in the middle. That guy is irreplaceable. The way some ppl complain that we moved on and talk about his "flashes" you would think he just traded a young John Randle.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 28, 2012, 12:00:20 PM

Not sure if anyone said that, but I getcha.

We "win" as a result of moving a second round pick for nothing.  And no waaaay were we going to recoup anything more than a 7th.  Not a chancce right?

(rolls eyes)

Dom FAILed.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 28, 2012, 12:01:44 PM

Agree and after Prices injury recovery he may not even be the same player he was. Which isnt saying much.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 28, 2012, 07:49:59 PM

Price was a UT playing out of position as a NT and we are talking about the NT of the worst run defense in the league last year.  This whole premise is retarded. If i recall correctly, PFF graded Okoye well against the run and i was also under the impression that the former top 10 pick, while somewhat a disappointment as a pass rusher, had developed into a pretty good run defender.

IIRC Okoye had 4 sacks as a backup DT for the Bears. No telling what he would have done as a starter, but that ain't bad from the middle. As for Price, most players would have given up on playing at all with TWO reattached hamstrings. He played through the pain and never quit like so many others around him. I wish him well, just not against the Bucs. If Okoye and McCoy can stay healthy, the Defense will be just fine.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 28, 2012, 09:48:10 PM

Okoye fits the mold of what Schiano wants out of his DT's as well as Gibson.  Miller appears to no longer be on the chopping block though, but the competition will be stiff.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 28, 2012, 11:50:05 PM

Since BIG Frank Okam has gotten this far and passed the conditioning test, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in the mix.

I heard he stole the coach's golf cart to pass it.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 29, 2012, 12:07:51 AM

Price was a UT playing out of position as a NT and we are talking about the NT of the worst run defense in the league last year.  This whole premise is retarded. If i recall correctly, PFF graded Okoye well against the run and i was also under the impression that the former top 10 pick, while somewhat a disappointment as a pass rusher, had developed into a pretty good run defender.

IIRC Okoye had 4 sacks as a backup DT for the Bears. No telling what he would have done as a starter, but that ain't bad from the middle.

This is exactly what the article points out....that the team views him as a pass rusher and not an anchor which is what they appear to be looking for at NT.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Piratic

Starter

#24 : July 29, 2012, 01:27:27 AM

"I'll play any (position) that allows me to sack the quarterback," Okoye said, "and we have a nice menu this year."

That put a smile on my face...a sinister smile.

And he's not kidding: Newton, Brees & Ryan (of course), Eli, Romo, RGIII, Palmer, Rivers, Peyton, Vick, and Bradford.

The realization has now set in, and I'm no longer smiling. Those are some very good quarterbacks, and it will be against a first-year defense.

I need a Newcastle. Or seven.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 29, 2012, 01:30:40 AM

"I'll play any (position) that allows me to sack the quarterback," Okoye said, "and we have a nice menu this year."

And he's not kidding: Newton, Brees & Ryan (of course), Eli, Romo, RGIII, Palmer, Rivers, Peyton, Vick, and Bradford.

The realization has now set in, and I'm no longer smiling. Those are some very good quarterbacks, and it will be against a first-year defense.

Not a bad beer.  At all.

Save them for the season, when the pass rush is looking par for course, and no matter how much screaming Schiano does, it doesn;t get any better.

Should have went all in for Mario Williams, like I, and JDub, said!!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 29, 2012, 02:20:31 AM

IIRC Okoye had 4 sacks as a backup DT for the Bears. No telling what he would have done as a starter, but that ain't bad from the middle.

This is exactly what the article points out....that the team views him as a pass rusher and not an anchor which is what they appear to be looking for at NT.

I would agree with that assessment.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 29, 2012, 07:44:09 AM

. Well you have good taste.

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#28 : July 29, 2012, 10:17:35 AM

Both Miller and Okoye tackling skills are suspect....Okam is the better tackler, but not as agile...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 29, 2012, 12:56:24 PM

The NT battle will come down to Okoye/Miller, but I think Okoye's consistency may win out.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye, while talented, doesn't appear to be the guy to replace Price « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools